GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's talk flex fuel

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Wouldn’t you just run larger capacity injectors and upgraded LPFP b4 going with port injection?

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Its more cost effective to do LPFP and port injection than it is to do LPFP and direct injectors as you'll also max out the HPFP going that route. With LPFP and Port you can increase your fueling needs to be able to handle anything you want. Port injectors are cheap.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Its more cost effective to do LPFP and port injection than it is to do LPFP and direct injectors as you'll also max out the HPFP going that route. With LPFP and Port you can increase your fueling needs to be able to handle anything you want. Port injectors are cheap.

Waiting for Cobb to be able to tune for port injection. So far UM and APR are the only ones.

athos56

Ready to race!
I wanted to find a location for ethanol to run a mix, so I looked up locations online. When I went to the location I found close to me in the lower valley in Washington, the sign outside the station said "We have Ethanol Free fuel" :/

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
I wanted to find a location for ethanol to run a mix, so I looked up locations online. When I went to the location I found close to me in the lower valley in Washington, the sign outside the station said "We have Ethanol Free fuel" :/

Check some of the Apps, and use a couple not all stations are listed on each app.

@PacDawg We are actually talking with Cobb about this.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Any stock turbo GTI will benefit from running e30-e40 even without a tune. Tune will maximize the timing for sure.

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
The UM flex fuel kit seems to me the most advance kit+tune for this platform so far. The kit includes the flex fuel sensor and the adjustable file. The car's ecu reads the ethanol content and automatically adjusts for it. You don't have to switch to a 93 map or e30 tune or and e60 tune. You can run anything between straight 93 and full e85 and the pro flex tune will work with it. In order to run full e85 with the kit you probably have to upgrade your lpfp and add port injection. http://unitedmotorsport.net/products/mk7-mqb-20-tsi-gen3/

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
I come from subaru world and i made my own flex kit to go with a pro tune, incredible power gains over stock, just incredible. I am running a dual fuel tune which is a 91oct tune and a flex fuel tune with max power at e50. And as poster above me suggested, the convenience of being able to fill with 91 or flex fuel is really nice.

Having said that, i contacted cobb about their ap interfacing with a flex kit on other platforms and i asked about audi/vw specifically, and sadly they are not interested or working on it for vw/audi. Couldnt tell me why not. Now is unitedmotorsports the only tuning solution that works with flex sensor to adjust mapping for ethanol content? And what method for tuning do they use. I went on the website and it talks about a file, but what device does one use to burn the file?

It seems to me that there is no tuning involved and end user just makes adjustments as he pleases? Am i looking at it wrong? Seems more like a modifiable ots map user gets to make minor adjustments for boost and octane but no true tuning involved no?

Called them but they dont answer phones.

Last edited:

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
I come from subaru world and i made my own flex kit to go with a pro tune, incredible power gains over stock, just incredible. I am running a dual fuel tune which is a 91oct tune and a flex fuel tune with max power at e50. And as poster above me suggested, the convenience of being able to fill with 91 or flex fuel is really nice.

Having said that, i contacted cobb about their ap interfacing with a flex kit on other platforms and i asked about audi/vw specifically, and sadly they are not interested or working on it for vw/audi. Couldnt tell me why not. Now is unitedmotorsports the only tuning solution that works with flex sensor to adjust mapping for ethanol content? And what method for tuning do they use. I went on the website and it talks about a file, but what device does one use to burn the file?

It seems to me that there is no tuning involved and end user just makes adjustments as he pleases? Am i looking at it wrong? Seems more like a modifiable ots map user gets to make minor adjustments for boost and octane but no true tuning involved no?

I'm protuned on E50. Sure, it's not automatic adjustment with the Cobb, but I can look at my ECA gauge and know what I need to fill up with, using a calculator.

Cobb is working on MPI, which IMO is more important. Then running pure E85 will be a non-issue.

805mk7gti

Ready to race!

United Motorsports is a dealer network like APR. So you'll need to find a local dealer. And they may not always answer their phones, but if you leave a message I've always gotten a call back.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
I'm protuned on E50. Sure, it's not automatic adjustment with the Cobb, but I can look at my ECA gauge and know what I need to fill up with, using a calculator.

Cobb is working on MPI, which IMO is more important. Then running pure E85 will be a non-issue.

So you have to run close to 50%, correct? And if you want to go back to 91oct or 93oct you have to run the tank pretty dry and refill with gas then flash a new map? Wait, are you protuned with cobb ap or some other method?