GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Mk7.5 large screen head unit into Mk7?

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Anyone know if the larger screen display unit from the 2018 Mk7.5 will fit/work in a Mk7? I'm on the fence on which gen to buy. The Mk7.5 SE no longer has Fender audio and the deals on remaining Mk7 SE's are pretty damn good. I do not like the tiny low res screen in the Mk7's.

I would buy one from a salvaged car being parted out when available and install. Any differences in harnesses or mounting or any coding needed? Seems like the screen in larger and more crisp and a faster processor is all.

TIA.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
It will fit and it’s possible. You will need the “brains” of the unit as well though, which is in the glovebox.

I have been contemplating the same thing but I am just going to move from the 6.5” to the 8” display that is for the Mk7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YellowC4S

Ready to race!

mensaman

Ready to race!
Yeah, they definitely need a HD radio/US variant. I'd be all over that.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
$1700. That's crazy

for $1700 you also get a digital out to the DSP of your choice and a head unit that ties into the CANBUS bypassing vw cp.

LFTMON

Ready to race!
What I’ve been told is all you need is the brain from the Discovery Pro MIB2 and it’s just then a simple screen swap. Also the 7.5 has to be the Disovery Media Nav 8” and also a new trim panel.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
What I’ve been told is all you need is the brain from the Discovery Pro MIB2 and it’s just then a simple screen swap. Also the 7.5 has to be the Disovery Media Nav 8” and also a new trim panel.

I think you'll need a dealer to remove the component protection or finish part of the programming but im not 100% certain.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion

You'll also need the latest software to the brain. I've brought this up previously in the MIB1->MIB2 thread in the DIY section.

rlnires

So what’s the outcome that I ca take the 2018 screen and put it in the 2017 model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rlnires

Yes Alpine unit both the 901 and 902 are not available in the US! [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]and it is Alpine not VW. I have talked Alpine about this and they don’t see it coming to the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
I bought a 902 off eBay for $1400 and had it installed because I really wanted low level I put for my amps. Other than the loss of AM and Sirius radio I love how the FM, CD/DVD, CarPlay and Navigation are working out. The clarity of having a good quality head unit feeding amps is priceless.

'16 MK7 R Manual
Uni Stage 2, DP & BCS Exhaust