GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weighing my options for IS38 tuning (yes, another BS tune thread)

Hoon

Autocross Champion
So here's the deal, at present I basically have an FBO car.

I have an IS38 that I'm waiting until spring to install.

I have been running the Uni S2 ECU and TCU tunes for over 20k miles, and I'm very happy with those tunes.

I was planning to go with Uni for the IS38 file, but spending another $800 as an upgrade seems like it's priced above the current market.

I can go APR for the IS38 file for less cost than Uni, and that's as a new customer, not as an upgrade. Considering I've spent over $2k with Uni already, the fact that an IS38 tune from APR would be cheaper than the Uni upgrade is discouraging.

Now, given that I'm very happy with Uni, I'm still considering it, but there are two options of interest that did not exist when I initially chose Uni...Cobb and Maestro.

Correct me if im wrong, but Cobb with a remote protune should come in around the same price point. Of particular interest to me is Cobb traction control, which I've read great things about. With FWD and all seasons I need all the help I can get in that department.

Now, I know Cobb doesn't have any DSG tuning, but I already have the Uni S2 DSG tune, so that shortcoming should not be an issue.

What other shortcomings are there with Cobb that I need to consider?

Now, Maestro without any tuning also comes in around the same price.

I read about some of the early growing pains with Maestro and the general lack of support from ED. The one thing that kills me about Maestro is I know I'm going to end up tuning the car myself, which will be a significant investment in time, datalogging on the street, Dyno, etc. I used to tune my own cars back in the day, but Ive never done a DI car or a VW, so there would be a learning curve.

I also tend to have a very difficult time leaving power on the table and keeping things safe if I'm the one pushing the buttons. I like to think I've grown up, but the reality is that I still struggle to call it quits at the appropriate time. What's 1 more psi? Between pushing limits and always looking for a way to optimize something else, I'm not sure that I should go down the rabbit hole (and for me it's a rabbit hole) of tuning my own daily driver.

Decisions, decisions.

Raegar

Ready to race!
Well written....

While I do not have experience at the level you're asking, its very clear to me that were I in your situation I would easily chose Cobb over the rest of the options and keep your Uni S2 DSG - also keep in mind that word is Cobb is working on their own DSG tune (which most likely would be a free map). As to how good it would be...well who knows!

Once you move beyond S1, and basic S2 with just DP....your car becomes a lot more unique. People are mixing and matching brands for all their supporting mods. Like I said, Im not up there, but personally I would want something catered to my car and brand name like Cobb wins over ED for that reason alone. That isnt to say it'll be the better performer of the 2 (after all I went Uni for a reason), but it would be my clear choice.

jcarl126

Ready to race!
I use a Cobb for my IS38 swapped car, the way they address traction control is awesome (and sounds great with lots of little pops!). The ability to monitor, log, clear codes and change tunes all from a little tool in your glovebox is great. It would be wonderful if they came out with a DSG tune, soon, but too late on that for me as well haha.

Only downside i can see is i wish you could change maps on the fly with it, and mounting solutions for our cars are a little scarce.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I really don't understand why its that much more for the GTI to go stage 2. I can't fathom paying twice when (to my knowledge) other tuners simply flash accordingly. I would first message uni and ask about that pricing. Who knows maybe they will move on price since you are an existing user.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
If you do decide to go with Cobb I suggest to purchase Access Port through 5150. It costs I think $775 for AP with etune.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
If you do decide to go with Cobb I suggest to purchase Access Port through 5150. It costs I think $775 for AP with etune.

That is pretty fair deal. Will Jon do pump and e30 tunes for that? I prefer road logging to any other type of tuning myself.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
That is pretty fair deal. Will Jon do pump and e30 tunes for that? I prefer road logging to any other type of tuning myself.

I'm not sure but I'd think he would charge more for dual maps. I have his E30 etune and drive like that most of the time but if I need to take a road trip or something and only have access to 91 I just use Cobb's OTS. I quickly miss Jon's tune though and can't wait to get back to ethanol with Jon's magic.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Cobb DSG tune will definitely not be a free map. I'm hoping it'll be cheaper than the other options on the market, given you have to buy the AP. But it won't be free.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Cobb DSG tune will definitely not be a free map. I'm hoping it'll be cheaper than the other options on the market, given you have to buy the AP. But it won't be free.

Can confirm it wont be free. I was one the of few who sent them logs from my DSG and they are giving back 10% off what ever the cost is in return. So will will cost but we have no clue how much yet.

I had a feeling it was going to cost when they released the PDK porsche tune for a fee.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure but I'd think he would charge more for dual maps. I have his E30 etune and drive like that most of the time but if I need to take a road trip or something and only have access to 91 I just use Cobb's OTS. I quickly miss Jon's tune though and can't wait to get back to ethanol with Jon's magic.

Thanks for feedback. Makes sense use OTS for pump. I have corn readily available so e30-e40 every tank no problem.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
At this point, every option seems like a wash money wise. I think protuning is always best and will cost roughly the same as an established OTS tune but you also need to factor in the cost of the AP (+500 bucks used that you can easily get back down the road). Others swear by etunes but cost aside I don't think anything beats a tuner putting the car on a dyno + logging on the street to dial it in just right.

Lesson to all: don't tune in stages, its a massive waste of money. Be patient, buy parts, install parts, tune once.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
At this point, every option seems like a wash money wise. I think protuning is always best and will cost roughly the same as an established OTS tune but you also need to factor in the cost of the AP (+500 bucks used that you can easily get back down the road). Others swear by etunes but cost aside I don't think anything beats a tuner putting the car on a dyno + logging on the street to dial it in just right.

Lesson to all: don't tune in stages, its a massive waste of money. Be patient, buy parts, install parts, tune once.

I was never planning to go IS38. I didn't stick to my initial plan...so now I have a $300-$800 penalty, depending on how you look at it.

It's not so much about the money as it is about value for the dollar and loyalty to your repeat customers.

I decided when I bought the car it would be a bolt on car, and planned accordingly...but as always I don't know when to stop.

Power is too damn addicting.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I was never planning to go IS38. I didn't stick to my initial plan...so now I have a $300-$800 penalty, depending on how you look at it.

It's not so much about the money as it is about value for the dollar and loyalty to your repeat customers.

I decided when I bought the car it would be a bolt on car, and planned accordingly...but as always I don't know when to stop.

Power is too damn addicting.
Yup, what you said

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk