GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

afman916

Ready to race!
I just commissioned having one of these built, but decided to go through with it outside of ebay. Gared, the builder, might be a member lurking around on here - but all USA hand made, i figured what the heck, give it a shot! like the stealth look anyway. Gared has been very responsive so far and is an AVID VW guy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MK7-GTI...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Care to share any specs man? Interested to compare this against the eBay intercooler that's the topic of this thread. Looked at his listing but don't think I saw any specs (may have overlooked them though).

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Seems decent, and I'd probably trust it more than one of the cheap knock-offs. But at $600 shipped, I'd rather just wait for a deal on the IE.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
I just commissioned having one of these built, but decided to go through with it outside of ebay. Gared, the builder, might be a member lurking around on here - but all USA hand made, i figured what the heck, give it a shot! like the stealth look anyway. Gared has been very responsive so far and is an AVID VW guy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MK7-GTI...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Is that a tube and fin design? If so, itll cool fine but youre gonna be seeing some pretty hefty pressure drop across the core.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Received the other day and finished install. Overall I was quite impressed with build quality of the cast end pieces, welds of cooler and machining of interface pieces. Currently pricing is $279 on Aliexpress, I purchased for $253 with hoses and clamps (originally $215, but seller contacted me and requested an additional $38 as they incorrectly priced shipping). I did have to break out a file to knock down a weld for sufficient clearance for the radiator to lock into. As previously noted the end pieces that hold the clip to lock the assemblies into frame needed to be hit with file to get the clips on. I needed to go to the hardware store to get some 4mm and 5mm screws and washers to hold down the A/C cooler. The OE cooler has plastic clips holding.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Thanks George for taking the plunge. Yeah, it is a really nice IC for the $. Enjoy!

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Received the other day and finished install. Overall I was quite impressed with build quality of the cast end pieces, welds of cooler and machining of interface pieces. Currently pricing is $279 on Aliexpress, I purchased for $253 with hoses and clamps (originally $215, but seller contacted me and requested an additional $38 as they incorrectly priced shipping). I did have to break out a file to knock down a weld for sufficient clearance for the radiator to lock into. As previously noted the end pieces that hold the clip to lock the assemblies into frame needed to be hit with file to get the clips on. I needed to go to the hardware store to get some 4mm and 5mm screws and washers to hold down the A/C cooler. The OE cooler has plastic clips holding.
Can you post the examples of those screws and washers?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Can you post the examples of those screws and washers?

Below are the OE fittings for the A/C cooler. The end piece casting has a slot and 5mm for lower and 4mm for upper to hold A/C cooler. Below is my hillbilly engineering. I could of done better, but Home Depot was about to close and I wanted to finish that evening, so go ahead and laugh at my hillbilly engineering, but it is functionally sound.

Attachments

• IMG_3029.JPG
    IMG_3029.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,626
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,620
  • IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,634

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
hey man as long as it works thats great! Imma go look on ali express now for that one. Cheapest i found on ebay was 320, so savings is savings. How long did it take you? Imma have to do it on my own as well

Springer_30

You happy with it performance wise? Any logs to share perhaps?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
You happy with it performance wise? Any logs to share perhaps?

Since it has been 45° around here, although I am stage 2 I am likely not going to experience heat soak with the stock intercooler so I cannot speak to performance. I will likely find out in the summer. As of right now, it drives like it did before.

Let me know how to set up vagcom (what specific fields to log) to do a log and I would be happy to. I found inlet air temperature, but nothing about intercooler.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Not exactly cheap, but looks like Leyo is releasing an intercooler for the MQB platform as well. https://www.leyo-motorsport.com/leyo-intercooler

Now if Burger Motorsports would just hurry up! I need to buy one this Spring before the temps go up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lol definitely not cheap!

I’m in the same boat. The only realistic option right now is this Magic / Majesty IC since the price isn’t insane and it still appears to deliver benefits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKoehle

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
We almost have 80 degree temps here in Florida and since I'm flashing to stage 2 tomorrow I'm dying to get an intercooler before I have to experience the heat soak first hand. How many of you have had to use extra screws and washers to hold everything in place? I don't mind using a file but I have to rent a lift to do any work on my car.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
We almost have 80 degree temps here in Florida and since I'm flashing to stage 2 tomorrow I'm dying to get an intercooler before I have to experience the heat soak first hand. How many of you have had to use extra screws and washers to hold everything in place? I don't mind using a file but I have to rent a lift to do any work on my car.

Seems to be just the extra 4-5mm screws/washers to replace the plastic clips n what not.