GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Error: Service Vehicle

teeoff

I drive a 2015 GTI and also am seeing the service error message pop up. It has happened 3 times now, and only stays on screen for a couple of seconds, not long enough to read it while driving. It has usually happened within 15 minutes of starting the car from a cold engine. My husband put the code reader on it, but this code isn't registering on the car's log. I would appreciate any insight into this. Thanks!

copperbricks

Ready to race!
That's how it started out for me, then it became more frequent. It's something to do with the automatic shifter mechanism (the physical prnds selector I believe). As far as I can tell, at least in the beginning it doesn't actually affect anything.

What I would do is keep driving and keep checking for codes, eventually I got some codes and took it to the dealer. They replaced my shifter under warranty. It did take them about a day though, so make sure to plan ahead.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
That's how it started out for me, then it became more frequent. It's something to do with the automatic shifter mechanism (the physical prnds selector I believe). As far as I can tell, at least in the beginning it doesn't actually affect anything.

What I would do is keep driving and keep checking for codes, eventually I got some codes and took it to the dealer. They replaced my shifter under warranty. It did take them about a day though, so make sure to plan ahead.
Yeah, mine has been doing it for over a year. I had the BFI shift knob installed so that's why I haven't bothered taking it in. And the dealer had no idea what I was talking about.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

pcguru83

Ready to race!
This has been happening intermittently over the past year or so and I finally got around to taking it into the dealer today. Of course in my infinite wisdom, I waited until after the vehicle was out of warranty to do so. I'm not that bright sometimes. :cool:

To their credit the dealer immediately diagnosed it correctly based on what I've seen in this thread. They're wanting $888 to replace the shifter assembly. A few questions:

1.) I've shown them the TSB and the service advisor is investigating. What are the chances they'll cover it out of warranty?

2.) Is it even worth fixing? It's happening about once every week or two, with an occasional stint where it will happen a few days apart. Seems a few people have had the issue reappear even after the repair though, so I'm concerned its just going to come back again after it is replaced.

3.) I'm not opposed to trying to do this myself. How difficult is the repair if they end up not covering it? Anyone know exactly what part(s) needs to be ordered?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Hi, first time owner here!

I recently purchased a CPO 2015 Golf TSI with only 14.5K miles. After about a week of driving it I received this message but like others have said it went away after a restart. I mentioned it at the local VW dealer a couple days ago while getting a cracked fuel cap replaced and the lady at the service desk said not to worry about it unless it stays on or keeps happening. Well today I signed up for the trial of VW Car-Net and found this in the vehicle health section.

"Engine & Transmission & Powertrain

Transmission

Stop! Symbol flashing or lit - sometimes with an acoustic warning. Check transmission malfunction and take corrective action. Contact an authorized Volkswagen dealer or an authorized Volkswagen Service Facility for assistance"

The car hasn't done it since and is driving fine. Do I need to take it back to the dealer and insist something is wrong or should I leave it for now? I have found a lot of chat about this error message in various forums and it seems most people weren't able to get them to do anything without the light being on when they drove it to the dealer, or capturing it on camera/video. I suppose I have the Car-Net app as proof something is going on. Thanks.

m1lkb0x

Thought I would chime in on this also, When I purchased my car new it happened pretty randomly i would say at least once every month or so for 2-3 months then it stopped, now 2 years in it started happening again. The error message popped up friday night "Error: Service Vehicle. Only Leave vehicle in P position", and decided to finally take the car in Tuesday, and they found the error code, and decided to replace the whole shift assembly no questions asked

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Thought I would chime in on this also, When I purchased my car new it happened pretty randomly i would say at least once every month or so for 2-3 months then it stopped, now 2 years in it started happening again. The error message popped up friday night "Error: Service Vehicle. Only Leave vehicle in P position", and decided to finally take the car in Tuesday, and they found the error code, and decided to replace the whole shift assembly no questions asked

I had mine diagnosed today and it is also the shifter. Unfortunately they don't have any appointments open until a week from Friday but then all should be taken care of. I'm guessing the previous owner experienced the warning as well but never took it in for a checkup.

rejectri

Ready to race!
Same issue with me, has been happening for the last 20,000 miles or so (since 35k)

How hard is it to start a class action lawsuit? If everybody has the same issue, it is obviously a failure in manufacturing I am not paying 900$ to fix it.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Same issue with me, has been happening for the last 20,000 miles or so (since 35k)

How hard is it to start a class action lawsuit? If everybody has the same issue, it is obviously a failure in manufacturing I am not paying 900$ to fix it.

Unfortunately I do not think a lawsuit would work because mechanically the transmission is working perfectly fine and nobody has been put in danger. Considering this issue first appeared while many cars were still under the original factory warranty though, VW probably should have made it a free recall. I don't know how much the parts run but my dealer is saying they need the car at least half a day for labor time.

h20534

When people are saying it was replaced under warranty, are they referring to the 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty or the 60,000 drive train warranty?

I think I just had this happen today for the first time to me - left my parents house after the car sitting for 2-3 hours and it popped up and went away so fast I couldn't really read it or take a picture. Bought the car a few weeks ago with 40,000 miles on it, 2016 GTI with DSG.

rejectri

Ready to race!
When people are saying it was replaced under warranty, are they referring to the 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty or the 60,000 drive train warranty?

I think I just had this happen today for the first time to me - left my parents house after the car sitting for 2-3 hours and it popped up and went away so fast I couldn't really read it or take a picture. Bought the car a few weeks ago with 40,000 miles on it, 2016 GTI with DSG.

Good question. I have neither @ 62K miles. Should have went back to stock a long time ago because the message is really annoying. It is happening more as the temp has gotten hotter.

"Service
For concerns of a Check Engine Light, Transmission Warning, or a “Put Vehicle in Park” warning in the MFI. First scan
the vehicle for faults. If the scan returns P17C5 in the ECM or B116229 in steering column electronics, inspect the gear
shifter wiring harness near or around the dash support brackets. If a wiring concern (pinched, chafing) is observed, repair
as necessary. If the harness is undamaged, replace the shifter assembly.
Warranty"

Does this mean there is a warranty on the part itself? (From tech notice linked in other post)

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Same as well for me. Fortunately covered under warranty

Did the dealer have trouble diagnosing that? I have an appointment on Tuesday. The service appointment reminder email reads "MISC ENGINE REPAIR - REPLACE SOP SHIFTER 3008 AT LEAST 1/2 DAY." I am going to be annoyed if it turns out to be something else and I have to bring it back again. As I mentioned before I am covered under the CPO warranty. The funny thing is the error message hasn't popped up since they authorized the repair a week and a half ago. In the week and a half prior it popped up several times.

I don't really notice any symptoms of a bad camshaft actuator, the only thing that has been annoying me is on cold starts I often here a strange rattle from the engine bay that only lasts a few seconds. It is hard to describe the noise I've been trying to record it. It sounds a bit like something slipping.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
My apologies. Thats what the VW tech told me over the phone. However looking at the service notes it says "fault for shift lever position switch"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk