GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034Motorsport - Billet Aluminum Dogbone Insert

pieguy

Ready to race!
Hello, I am trying to install my 034 V2 version 2 dog bone and I have a few questions. If I have the car up on jacks is it a guarantee that the engine is going to move? My other question is I do not have a torque wrench to measure the torque. Is this going to be an issue? How is everyone like their 034 V2 dogbone? Thanks.

I did it on ramps without a torque wrench to measure. Engine didn't move and I just torqued it down as hard as humanly possible. So far so good. Significant reduction in wheel hop and no issues. That being said, I am stronger than the average human being so might wanna use a breaker bar just in case.

Technically you're supposed to replace the stretch bolt when you do this modification, but i can say for certain most do not replace and the insert still works well.

TurtlesGTI

I did it on ramps without a torque wrench to measure. Engine didn't move and I just torqued it down as hard as humanly possible. So far so good. Significant reduction in wheel hop and no issues. That being said, I am stronger than the average human being so might wanna use a breaker bar just in case.

Technically you're supposed to replace the stretch bolt when you do this modification, but i can say for certain most do not replace and the insert still works well.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's been a while since someone commented in this thread, so I was hoping it was not dead. I tried taking the bolt off last night and couldn't get it to budge. I ordered a breaker bar and it's coming in tomorrow, so I'll try the install again with the breaker bar after work and report back.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's been a while since someone commented in this thread, so I was hoping it was not dead. I tried taking the bolt off last night and couldn't get it to budge. I ordered a breaker bar and it's coming in tomorrow, so I'll try the install again with the breaker bar after work and report back.

You can just go to like advance auto parts or auto zone and they should do let you use a torque wrench.

you could do this mod in their parking lot lol

TurtlesGTI

Finally got around to installing the 034 Dogbone V2 version 2 insert today. I used two jacks that are used to change tires, to jack up the car. I had to use a breaker bar and then insert a long pipe around it to finally get the bolt loose. Once loosened the bolt came off and there was no engine movement. Dogbone fit perfectly and I screwed the bolt back on without a torque wrench to measure anything.

Impression- totally worth the $50. I drive a 6 MT and shifts are a lot smoother. I have a JB4 and it also helps with traction. NVH is not noticable, even with me guessing the torque for the bolt.

Thanks for everyone sharing their experiences in this thread and reaching out to 034 about the bad V2 insert, allowing us V2 users to have this updated version with minimal NVH.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I used two jacks that are used to change tires, to jack up the car. I had to use a breaker bar and then insert a long pipe around it to finally get the bolt loose.

Glad you're still with us man.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I just finished installing the insert. A quick test on wet roads suggests that wheel hop is greatly reduced. I can't say I notice much change in NVH. More testing is required, but a good first impression.

A side note is that the installation was not straight-forward. Initially, the insert would not fit into the mount. I had to lightly grind the part of the insert that fits into the mount. I also had to grind down the inside of the mount where the insert fits. A lot of trial and error to get it to fit. Not much material was removed, so there shouldn't be any ill effect from the process.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I just finished installing the insert. A quick test on wet roads suggests that wheel hop is greatly reduced. I can't say I notice much change in NVH. More testing is required, but a good first impression.

A side note is that the installation was not straight-forward. Initially, the insert would not fit into the mount. I had to lightly grind the part of the insert that fits into the mount. I also had to grind down the inside of the mount where the insert fits. A lot of trial and error to get it to fit. Not much material was removed, so there shouldn't be any ill effect from the process.

Maybe you got the wrong version? I've never heard of any grinding required.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Perhaps. I got it a couple of years ago. Obviously, I had the same problem then. At the time, I contacted 034. They seemed baffled as well. I just put it on the shelf until now. At the time i purchases it, I don't think there was any choice. My memory could certainly be faulty!