GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE track edition catback void warranty?

Antonioni fasano

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello guys, I am wondering if I do a muffler delete, or if I place the AWE track edition catback to my stock GTI, if it would void my warranty? Should I ask my dealer if they are mod friendly? Or doing a catback or muffler delete will definetly not void any warranty regarding engine and transmission?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hello guys, I am wondering if I do a muffler delete, or if I place the AWE track edition catback to my stock GTI, if it would void my warranty? Should I ask my dealer if they are mod friendly? Or doing a catback or muffler delete will definetly not void any warranty regarding engine and transmission?

If something happens to your car, the dealership has to be able to prove that the modifications that you did caused the failure. That's how I understand it anyway. I wouldn't think anything past the downpipe on the exhaust should affect anything upstream in the powertrain unless you plugged your exhaust haha.

Evil Minion

Ready to race!

It voids the warranty of whatever part you changed, that's it.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
If something happens to your car, the dealership has to be able to prove that the modifications that you did caused the failure. That's how I understand it anyway. I wouldn't think anything past the downpipe on the exhaust should affect anything upstream in the powertrain unless you plugged your exhaust haha.

Not really.

In reality they can deny the warranty claim and you have to enter into binding arbitration or sue to force their hand.

Normally neither is worth it from a $$ perspective.

It voids the warranty of whatever part you changed, that's it.

That's not really true either.

Anything downstream of a part can be denied.

Say you change wheels and tire dimensions and a bearing fails... that would probably be on you.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I can't think of any scenarios where a cat-back is going to cause a failure in the drivetrain, assuming we are talking power train warranty here. A downpipe would likely be grounds for a denial, since that has a pretty dramatic impact on the engine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

It's VWoA that gives you the warranty not the dealer.

You can always sue VW if they deny a warranty claim. Then you get to pay a lawyer a $5000-$10,000 retainer and watch them go up against a roomful of VW's lawyers and technical experts.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, you're right. I was thinking more in terms of the catback, since there is nothing downstream of it.

I wouldn't trust VW. :D

So let's change that to upstream and downstream.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Short answer: No

I have the AWE track catback on my GTI along with VWR lowering springs, Euro tails, and a few other small mods. My VW dealer didn't say anything about the exhaust when I had a random EPC light come on a few times. They replaced the entire wiring harness with a brand new one to try to resolve the issue. They know my car has those mods, but they also know they have zero effect on the issues I've had.

Here's a pic of my GTI in the VW service bay parked right in front of the service manager's office the last time they performed warranty work.

Attachments

• 16832108_10202627158236672_227583628552544424_n.jpg
    16832108_10202627158236672_227583628552544424_n.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 894

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Depends on the dealer? The salesman at the dealer I bought it from was clueless, told me pretty much ANY modification "voids the warranty" including a tow hook (wtf?). Happily took my warranty business to another dealership. The foreman at the other dealer sang a much different tune, even taking the time to look up ways in which the clutch would be covered outside of the first year. Interestingly, I was informed the flywheel is part of the powertrain per VW's book and a reason such as "loose/worn flywheel" can be used by the dealership to fight for a clutch replacement as that "may" have caused the clutch to wear out (lol). I found that amusing.

He also told me that their specific dealership is mod friendly and does everything to fight for warranty claims as its not money out of their pocket (although an ECU tune that blows the engine or turbo is obviously much harder to fight for). Still, he emphasized that the specific modification has to cause the specific problem for VW to give them any issues. This was reassuring to hear. In fact, my clutch has been acting funny again (2K miles after a full replacement for slipping) and he even offered to throw in a brand new DMF, install an upgraded clutch of my choice, with the only cost to me being the clutch disc/pressure plate I decide to use. New DMF + labor + fluids = no cost. Or stock clutch/DMF replacement if I want.

Find a dealership, speak to the foreman in charge, and you'll get a sense of what lies ahead dealing with them. First dealer told me they wouldn't inspect my car off the bat if holes weren't drilled in the bumpers, another said "what catback, what mods, I don't see anything" lol gladly took my business to dealer #2.

Disclaimer: ECU tunes, engine mods, DPs, etc will be hard for even a mod friendly dealer to overlook given a major catastrophe. I'm sure a good one will go further to help you out but common sense says pay to play with these more serious mods. Catback should be zero problem outside of some crap dealership.