GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 datalogs with meth

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
Anybody have any they're willing to share? I installed the meth kit and while it is great (no timing pull at all on pretty aggressive settings) I'm not seeing the reduction in IATs that i thought I would. My datalogs show that I am getting 100 % flow. My question is, how are some of you guys getting lower than ambient IATs on your logs? I understand that both the map sensor in the throttle pipe and the sensor in the manifold both measure IATs. Does the JB4 take its reading from a different location than say eurodyne? I am current using a CM5 nozzle running a 70/30 meth mix....

Thanks!

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
I replied to your pm but here's a few logs. Mind you I'm still on the stock intercooler.

Attachments

• 15023065991830.jpg
    15023065991830.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 15023066183181.jpg
    15023066183181.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 294

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys...set my starting psi to 8 vs 12 and voila, ambient or below :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Every time I set my meth setting low like 8 and full 12 I get a slight hesitation under load in the beginning and some times at redline. When I set it starting at 10 and full around 16 it runs better, but the IAT aren't that crazy low compared to a lower setting. Not sure what's going on with mine.

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
Ya to be honest, mine did the same thing at the low setting too. I have changed it back to spray at 11. Just wanted to make sure it works lol. With the meth i can run more boost and have 0 corrections. I think i got a little caught up in the whole iat thing but the car runs way better at a later spray point. The car honestly felt slower with the crazy low iats and ran pig rich too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Humidity plays a huge role in my IAT. Also the more meth vs water = less cooling

TL;DR

Not completely true. In the combustion chamber, yes, water cools more. In the air stream? Depends. Humidity temperature delta and time precict the winner. For most applications, higher percent of alcohol or pure alcohol wins.

TL;DR#2

Use as much alcohol as you deem safe. The safest is 49/51. Best benefit vs safety is probably 70/30. 100% alcohol is for sailors and racers or people who aspire to be both.
Water has a better latent heat of vaporization, but it is harder and slower to evaporate. Pure alcohol evaporates very fast even in humid conditions. Evaporation is where the cooling magic happens and there is only so much time to do it.

Temperature difference, time and humidity.

We have an intercooler. Even maxed out on hot day with a tuned car, it's still doing some decent work. At red line with a tune you might be pushing something near 400f degree air out of your turbo. That gets knocked down to 140f by the intercooler.

Now we're working with the difference between 140 and ambient.

If ambient is 80, the difference = 60 degrees. With a delta of only 60 degrees and humidity, water can only evaporate so much and in so much time. Most of the water will pass right through and only evaporate in the combustion chamber.

The water cooled your combustion process. But at the cost of taking up space with non combustible material and your intake didn't see the cooling.

If we ran no intercooler and the water was fighting 400 degree air, it would evaporate more before the combustion chamber and contribute more cooling effect in the air stream. A 320 degree delta offers more evaporation evaporation driving force than 60.

With the small temp delta we're working with + humidity, alcohol evaporates lightning quick, gives you all its latent heat of vaporization in the air stream, and ads octane + combustion power to the process.

Mars1

Ready to race!
Here are 2 logs, one with meth and added boost, and one without. It's hot out, 90 F ambient with moving IATs at 120 F here with intercooler.

Both logs start at 120-130 F IAT, the first log is intercooler only. The second log is with 50/50 mix and the IAT drops an additional 20 degrees. Logged back to back on same road mid day.

With WM, the ECU is requesting 2 psi less boost, so I added 2 psi boost for this log. And I also gain 2 degrees timing advance. Not turbo weather, but I can feel the butt dyno gain.

The water/meth definitely working. I don't see below ambient though, ever, but this is 8 degrees above ambient, not bad. I'm starting the spray at 12 psi.

The logs say my meth is not spraying 100%, but I've checked and it is definitely spraying, not sure why the JB4 is not reading 100% spray. I'll have to troubleshoot that again.

FWIW-

Datazap - No WM, No Boost Additive, Map 4

Datazap - 50/50 WM, +2psi Boost Additive at 5500 rpm and up, Map 6

Last edited: