GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WaveTrac Review

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
The Wavetrac has additional clutch packs.

Nope. The Wavetrac does NOT have additional clutch packs.

"The innovative, patented, Wavetrac® device in the center of the diff responds during these exact conditions when zero or near-zero axle-load occurs. At or near zero axle-load, the axles (and therefore each side gear in the diff) start to turn at different speeds.
This speed differential causes the Wavetrac® device to step into action: Precisely engineered wave profiles are placed on one side gear and its mating preload hub. As the two side gears rotate relative to each other, each wave surface climbs the other, causing them to move apart.
Very quickly, this creates enough internal load within the Wavetrac® to STOP the zero axle-load condition.
The zero axle-load condition is halted, and the drive torque is applied to the wheel on the ground (the gripping wheel) keeping the power down.
Some gear differentials rely solely on preload springs to combat loss of drive. The drawback is that you can’t add enough preload to prevent loss of drive without creating tremendous handling and wear problems at the same time. So, to avoid these problems, the preload from ordinary spring packs must be reduced to a level that renders them ineffective at preventing loss of drive. The Wavetrac® is the only differential that can automatically add more load internally when it’s required.
In the case where both wheels are on the ground during zero axle load, such as during a transition to deceleration, the Wavetrac® device is able to prepare the drivetrain for when the zero torque condition stops, eliminating the delay seen with ordinary gear diffs.
What this means for you as a driver is that power is delivered to the gripping wheels for more time and in a more constant manner making you faster and improving stability.
The Wavetrac® truly is different - and its innovative features can make a real difference in your car’s performance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhLGe_M6XU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElaMcoO_drg

http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm

What do you think is happening between the two surfaces?

That's probably the friction disc = clutch:

The Wavetrac® diff’s behavior can be altered in the field to suit your needs. It comes standard with carbon-fiber bias plates for the best all around performance and lifetime durability. Changeable plates using materials with different friction coefficients to fine-tune the bias ratio are sold separately.
These bias plates provide a mechanism to tune the response of the differential as a function of applied torque load. The applied torque load manifests itself as an axial load from the differential pinions into the housing. This axial force is then considered a normal force into the bias plate, and as a function of the effective coefficient of friction, provide a resistive torque to the rotational motion of the differential pinions. The resistive torque will add to the resistance of relative rotation of all components within the differential. The resistive force, however, is non-uniform since it is a function of the axial load from the differential pinions. The unbalance of the resistive torque will manifest as non-uniform energy absorption within the differential causing a bias ratio.

However, I use to recommend the Wavetrac LSD for years. I don't wanna
say it's bad at all. I just think it's better swapping the oil from time to time.
You certainly don't need to convince me on it. ;)

Wavetrac's website indicates that it is a maintenance-free part. Install it and forget it.
There's friction happening (under the forementioned zero-load conditions).
Friction means wear. I'd swap it every three years and anually when tracking.
Feel free to do it your own way.

MrConflicted

Passed Driver's Ed
The Wavetrac has additional clutch packs. That's why it's superior to Torsen-only LSDs
under harder conditions (one wheel losing ground contact). And that's why you'd want
to swap oil frequently too.

How did you perform a comparison to the PP's VAQ diff when you own a non-PP? :confused:

Just to avoid some misunderstanding, the VAQ LSD has a locking capability of 100 %.
I don't get why it should perform worse under non-ideal conditions. ;)

You assume I have no GTI friends! The mechanical is more responsive. While I believe the PP diff is a proactive unit (based on throttle and steering angle), I can attest that many have stated the WaveTrac feels much more responsive after driving my car.

I assume that a "Diff tune", similar to haldex controllers on Mk6's, would bring the PP diff closer to wavetrac performance?

In addition, I have to believe that the clutch packs in the PP diff will lose performance in extreme scenarios (ex: racing) as most clutch-type diffs do, even high end ones. That's why you usually see diff coolers on race cars. Now, I don't have any data to know the exact effects of this with the PP, but I'd be curious if locking deteriorates on track days.

MrConflicted

Passed Driver's Ed
However, I use to recommend the Wavetrac LSD for years. I don't wanna
say it's bad at all. I just think it's better swapping the oil from time to time.
You certainly don't need to convince me on it. ;)

Do you just mean swapping the fluid or cracking open the diff and swapping out that transfer plate? I'm running 75W-90 Motul fluid, and have about 20K miles on the diff with 1 track day, a few autoX's, and many canyon runs. Performance only seems to have improved since day 1, lol. Should I still change it?

My thinking was every 30-40K miles?

Just swapping the oil. Another question is which oil to use, as conventional plate-LSDs
used to require dedicated 'LS' gear oil. Volkswagen suggest a 3-year interval and that's
probably also fine for a Wavertrac. So 30-40K miles sounds reasonable.

Fine-tuning the PP's VAQ is another story. Not sure if we had the before, but it should
feel somewhat different depending on whether driving profile is set to sport or normal.
To be honest I didn't experience a clear difference yet though, neither on my CS nor on
my girlfriend's PP as I didn't track them so far.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
You assume I have no GTI friends! The mechanical is more responsive. While I believe the PP diff is a proactive unit (based on throttle and steering angle), I can attest that many have stated the WaveTrac feels much more responsive after driving my car.

I assume that a "Diff tune", similar to haldex controllers on Mk6's, would bring the PP diff closer to wavetrac performance?

In addition, I have to believe that the clutch packs in the PP diff will lose performance in extreme scenarios (ex: racing) as most clutch-type diffs do, even high end ones. That's why you usually see diff coolers on race cars. Now, I don't have any data to know the exact effects of this with the PP, but I'd be curious if locking deteriorates on track days.

I've experienced no decrease in VAQ performance during my HPDE sessions (20 mins). Often times my fastest times are in laps 4-6 which is 15 mins into the session.

MrConflicted

Passed Driver's Ed
Just swapping the oil. Another question is which oil to use, as conventional plate-LSDs
used to require dedicated 'LS' gear oil. Volkswagen suggest a 3-year interval and that's
probably also fine for a Wavertrac. So 30-40K miles sounds reasonable.

Fine-tuning the PP's VAQ is another story. Not sure if we had the before, but it should
feel somewhat different depending on whether driving profile is set to sport or normal.
To be honest I didn't experience a clear difference yet though, neither on my CS nor on
my girlfriend's PP as I didn't track them so far.

WaveTrac explicitly states NOT to use a friction modifier-type fluid in their diff. Motul 75W-90 and 75W-140 were the only fluids they quoted as "recommended".

MrConflicted

Passed Driver's Ed
I've experienced no decrease in VAQ performance during my HPDE sessions (20 mins). Often times my fastest times are in laps 4-6 which is 15 mins into the session.

Fantastic news really. I've yet to drive a PP car on track (and don't imagine the opportunity will come up anytime soon), but, I'd love to experience it.

I feel like PP people always get a little butt hurt when I say the WaveTrac edges it out, but, make no mistake, if I could do it over again I'd buy a PP car from the get-go. For 2x the cost of the performance pack (including installation labor), god damn right the WaveTrac better beat out the PP diff! Lol!

nal

Ready to race!
indeed i just use the stock dsg oil which is also recommended by wavetrac on my 7R.I change the oil yearly for peace of mind.

WaveTrac explicitly states NOT to use a friction modifier-type fluid in their diff. Motul 75W-90 and 75W-140 were the only fluids they quoted as "recommended".

Das_GTI2

About how much do these cost to have installed? I heard it's a pretty difficult job.

I'm currently in the process of getting this done and I can tell you right now it's a costly job. Since I'm stage 2 and my clutch was slipping, I decided to add the Wavetrac to save money since the transmission would already be apart. The shop stated it would be an 8 hour job for the clutch and 5 hours for the Wavetrac. Multiply that by whatever your shop charges hourly and you get the idea.

What I mentioned is just the beginning though. There's the "recommended" bolt kit and bearings. Quick tip, they're required. Bolt kit is $150 and the bearings are $90 on top of the cost of the $1,100 LSD. There's also the fluids and the gaskets that's around $100-200 depending on the shop. Don't forget the costly alignment that needs to be completed once all is said and done.

Not done yet. There's one caveat with the Wavetrac and our setup. From Wavetrac: "Even with the OEM diff, it is very small, and even the factory has to take material off, which you'll see how each gearbox will have more or less material than the next". So I found this out the hard way. The shop called me and said it would take two hours to completely shave down the extra material to make the LSD fit. In addition to this, you'll need another ride since your car will be out of commission for a couple days.

So mine is a 6MT, if you're considering doing this on your DSG equipped vehicle, prepare to dig deep in your pockets because it's a much more involved job.

I'm picking it up today and my expectations are high but from what I read the results are worth it, especially if you're already upgrading your clutch. I'll fill you guys in on my thoughts once I've driven it a bit. Hope this helps you guys out.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Thanks for the in depth update. Keep us posted.