GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Springs on MK7 GTI: What should I get??

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I'm sure most of us on here have been car enthusiasts for as long as we can remember. Can anyone on here honestly tell me of a known strut/shock failure due to an aftermarket spring change? I am 43, on car forums for a long time, never once have I read, or seen a failure, yet everyone warns of failure.... Just my 2cents

Lol. That's because no one keeps their cars long enough to experience failures. I've had 5 new cars in the past five years...actually I did fry the clutch in my 2012 GTI with APR Stage II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
I'm having MSS springs installed today on my '16 GTI. I was on the fence about getting coilovers again, but decided to try these instead. Supposedly, they were developed with/for using the stock struts, so I'm hoping to get at least 30K miles out of the stock struts.
I've always replaced the shocks/struts in the past when I've changed springs/coils, so I'm anxious to see if the stock ones can really pair well with the new springs. If not, I'll bite the bullet and go with coilovers, or upgrade to Bilsteins...we'll see :)

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
I'm having MSS springs installed today on my '16 GTI. I was on the fence about getting coilovers again, but decided to try these instead. Supposedly, they were developed with/for using the stock struts, so I'm hoping to get at least 30K miles out of the stock struts.
I've always replaced the shocks/struts in the past when I've changed springs/coils, so I'm anxious to see if the stock ones can really pair well with the new springs. If not, I'll bite the bullet and go with coilovers, or upgrade to Bilsteins...we'll see :)

Hope you are enjoying your MSS kit. These kits are designed to work with he DCC and non DCC shocks. 40mm drop is roughly the max you want to go to maximize travel of the factory shocks. Anything more and they start to experience shorter life span and perhaps bottoming out (like a lot of have noticed with the stock shocks and springs)

The factory shocks are quite good on this platform. We have done a few of the VWR/Koni setups and make the car too stiff for my liking.

Thanks,

Greg

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Ideally I would like something lower than the VWR's. I am aware of problems with the stock shocks/struts. I am buying springs for now and at some point in the future will spend the money on a good set of coilovers but am taking the cheap way out for the time being. Are Eibachs my best bet for a lower drop?

Take a look at our lowering springs, as they sound like what you are looking for. They will produce a lower ride height while keeping ride quality near stock. They are also a linear design that is intended to be paired with stock shocks/struts.

http://www.emmanueledesign.com/coll...n-mk7-lowering-spring-kit?variant=22065324807

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
The DG springs offer less drop don't they...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they do, they are about .75 inch drop compared to VWR and ED's 1.2 inch, but he doesn't really modify his cars and has never owned a lower car before. So for him I think the DG's would be good plus they are the only spring that I know of that VW will sell at the dealer, install, and warranty.

Personally I think VWR's and ED's are a perfect drop. Enough to take away wheel gap, but not slammed so u don't run into any rubbing or scrapping issues. It could be a hair lower in the front so its 1 finger gap not 1 1/2 but i'm not gonna be upset about 1-2 cm lol

For the OP it sounds like he wants something slightly lower like Eibachs Sportline which is 1.75 or FK High Tech springs (not sure on the exact drop on these but they seem lower then 1.2 inch). here is a link to how the FK springs look: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=321726&postcount=32

Also the MSS springs seem like a great option too that way if you want to change the height you have that option like coilovers.

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
Hope you are enjoying your MSS kit. These kits are designed to work with he DCC and non DCC shocks. 40mm drop is roughly the max you want to go to maximize travel of the factory shocks. Anything more and they start to experience shorter life span and perhaps bottoming out (like a lot of have noticed with the stock shocks and springs)

The factory shocks are quite good on this platform. We have done a few of the VWR/Koni setups and make the car too stiff for my liking.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

Would you recommend against running the MSS springs at their lowest setting? I believe I read that the max lowering with the kit is 30mm?

Thanks

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I'm sure most of us on here have been car enthusiasts for as long as we can remember. Can anyone on here honestly tell me of a known strut/shock failure due to an aftermarket spring change? I am 43, on car forums for a long time, never once have I read, or seen a failure, yet everyone warns of failure.... Just my 2cents

Depends on how you define "failure"

There's LOTS of people that have complained about it getting bouncy or harsh after a while, meaning the dampers aren't doing their job properly anymore, and that could/would be considered failing

Them leaking? It can happen too, but I'd say the main issue is that the ride quality degrades. Then people either upgrade the dampers, or move onto coilovers or air ride