GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

nutztoys

Hey Guys,

Fitted my VWR springs today using the 2x4 method.
To prevent the lower control arm to come up when you Jack up the 2x4, I used a strap underneath the floor Jack.

Just my 2 cents....

Attachments

• IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,066

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Nutztoys, were you not able to shove the assembly down at all before you started jacking it up? What did you use to spread the knuckle?

Anyway, glad it worked and thanks for the input. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nutztoys

Nutztoys, were you not able to shove the assembly down at all before you started jacking it up? What did you use to spread the knuckle?

Anyway, glad it worked and thanks for the input. Just curious.

I have the VW spreader tool but I think it was a thight fit.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Okay, I've updated page 1, again. Hopefully this satisfies the masses. It contains a "minimum" bolt replacement list, and an "everything" list with all of the part numbers, including others such as the rear shock bolts, strut nuts, etc not previously called out (anywhere) in this thread. Hopefully this makes it abundantly clear, and people can buy what they want.

I will continue to stand by recommending the minimal list; however, it is your car, your money, etc. Feel free to do what you like.

Cheers.

Last edited:

jmason

Go Kart Newbie

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
The OP updated all the info on the first post.
Thanks taking the time to do that BTW

jacincm

Ready to race!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
BxGTI, thanks. I should have added them before for reference. (and to avoid debate)

Jacicm good call on the kits. They never seem to have exactly what you need.

Last edited:

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
I received my Bilstein B12 pro kit in the mail and everything looks great. Since I have never done suspension work before I want to make sure I have everything I need. I already ordered all the replacement hardware suggested here, but I am missing one thing. The Front Lower Spring Isolator Part Number: 5Q0-412-545-D
https://shopdap.com/store/5q0-412-545-d.html

If I drop the springs into the dampers now they sit at an angle and are metal on metal, obviously not how its going to be installed. My question is, do we just reuse these from the stock springs, or do I need to order a set for my new springs? I am sure the rubber isolator will make everything sit perfectly. Just want to make sure I have everything before attempting install.

enjoyminutemaid

Ready to race!
I received my Bilstein B12 pro kit in the mail and everything looks great. Since I have never done suspension work before I want to make sure I have everything I need. I already ordered all the replacement hardware suggested here, but I am missing one thing. The Front Lower Spring Isolator Part Number: 5Q0-412-545-D
https://shopdap.com/store/5q0-412-545-d.html

If I drop the springs into the dampers now they sit at an angle and are metal on metal, obviously not how its going to be installed. My question is, do we just reuse these from the stock springs, or do I need to order a set for my new springs? I am sure the rubber isolator will make everything sit perfectly. Just want to make sure I have everything before attempting install.

I'm thinking about getting this same kit! Please post a review after installation!

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!