GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RE: Suspension / Tire question re: ride quality

World Famous Z

Ready to race!
RE: Suspension / Tire question re: ride quality

So, I think I know the answer, but I just wanted to hear it from other R owners out there...

When I drive my car, and hit a bad fwy expansion joint, manhole cover, or something similar, (I'm in south OC CA, so the roads are pretty "ok" compared to many other places), my car seems to really "hit or slam" into it. I've noticed this since day one with my 16 R.

I have since lowered it on VWR springs, and have swapped the tires to Michelin PSS tires of OEM size (but usually the PSS runs a bit wider, and taller so slightly more tire than before).

When I drive over these things at normal road speeds (speed limit or under) it feels like the wheel is just slamming into it and I always expect a bent wheel because of how harsh it hits. Drinks have come out of the cup holders, my visors have jarred loose and come down, and my phone falls out of it's mount just to give an example of how hard it seems to slam.

But low and behold, no tire damage, or wheel damage ever... and no thrown alignment or blown bushings or rods etc.

My quesitons for you all are: 1) is this normal with our cars? I know the tires that fit our size wheels don't give a ton of sidewall or cushion etc
and 2) is this more tire related (as I think it is) or could it be suspension related? Is there perhaps an issue with the OEM adjustable suspension where it just cannot handle this type of impact well (valving etc) or possibly blown shocks/struts? I've never noticed anything leaking and the car drives absolutely fine and handles so well otherwise, that I really don't think it's anything blown or gone bad. But perhaps it's an issue with how the suspension might be valved?

BTW this occurs in any suspension mode I'm in, comfort normal or race. Oddly enough, it's usually a tiny bit better in race ever since I lowered the car. (which doesn't make a ton of sense to me, or it could be just in my head)...

So what are your thoughts and takes on this issue?

I'm totally willing to throw money down the road into a nice set of forged 18" wheels, just to be able to get larger sidewall tires if that would help, but I'm not certain it would, and I wouldn't want to spend that $$ if it didn't help.

It does actually make sense. Since suspension travel is decreased while
spring rates are increased, dampers will match better in race mode. ;)

However, to give you proper answers two questions first:

What car did you own before?

How did it feel with stock springs and stock tires?

Anyway, running lighter 18" wheels with 235/40 tires will certainly help
to some (noticeable) degree.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
So, I think I know the answer, but I just wanted to hear it from other R owners out there...

When I drive my car, and hit a bad fwy expansion joint, manhole cover, or something similar, (I'm in south OC CA, so the roads are pretty "ok" compared to many other places), my car seems to really "hit or slam" into it. I've noticed this since day one with my 16 R.

I have since lowered it on VWR springs, and have swapped the tires to Michelin PSS tires of OEM size (but usually the PSS runs a bit wider, and taller so slightly more tire than before).

When I drive over these things at normal road speeds (speed limit or under) it feels like the wheel is just slamming into it and I always expect a bent wheel because of how harsh it hits. Drinks have come out of the cup holders, my visors have jarred loose and come down, and my phone falls out of it's mount just to give an example of how hard it seems to slam.

But low and behold, no tire damage, or wheel damage ever... and no thrown alignment or blown bushings or rods etc.

My quesitons for you all are: 1) is this normal with our cars? I know the tires that fit our size wheels don't give a ton of sidewall or cushion etc
and 2) is this more tire related (as I think it is) or could it be suspension related? Is there perhaps an issue with the OEM adjustable suspension where it just cannot handle this type of impact well (valving etc) or possibly blown shocks/struts? I've never noticed anything leaking and the car drives absolutely fine and handles so well otherwise, that I really don't think it's anything blown or gone bad. But perhaps it's an issue with how the suspension might be valved?

BTW this occurs in any suspension mode I'm in, comfort normal or race. Oddly enough, it's usually a tiny bit better in race ever since I lowered the car. (which doesn't make a ton of sense to me, or it could be just in my head)...

I'm totally willing to throw money down the road into a nice set of forged 18" wheels, just to be able to get larger sidewall tires if that would help, but I'm not certain it would, and I wouldn't want to spend that $$ if it didn't help.

I am 100% confident my highlighted portion in the quote is your problem. VWR springs are widely known for this trait, and worse than OEM suspension even. The Michelin PSS are probably the quietest Max performance summer tire there is. The VWR springs are not meant for DCC equipped cars. We offer a much better solution that will not only make the car ride much better, but get rid of the crashing you are experiencing. 19" tires definitely make matters worse, but you would be surprised how well the 19" wheel and tire combo can ride when the right suspension is on the car.

if you're interested, we have a few options that might interest you. Lowering your car does NOT mean you have to sacrifice and be stuck with a crappy ride quality.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Welcome to lowered life.
Not fun but something you live with to have the look.
I found my RE-11 summer tires take these impact better due to more rigid sidewall.
I have not added this to my build page but one thing to keep in mind should you remove the springs for any work is to try the 034 Tuning Heavy Duty mounts. I had them installed Friday and find they do transfer slightly more road noise due to stiffness but seem to take expansion joint impacts better. Not as jolting. You still feel but more controlled.

Keep you eyes open for issues and avoid.
Learn the roads to run daily and avoid the big items.
You could also contact city road on any issues that could and should be fixed.
If you have DCC, I find running in normal is better than comfort when hitting an item in question.

Good luck and enjoy.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Try driving in West Side Oakland. The crater sized pot holes out there make it feel like you're driving on the moon. You totally have to have your pot hole dodging route memorized.

I keep reading that VWR springs should offer close to, if not the same, ride as stock? True or false? Btw I don't have DCC.

World Famous Z

Ready to race!
VWR springs are very close to OEM quality just lower. And before anyone begins assuming that I may Ben inexperienced with tuning,I use daily to build SEMA cars and work on race team support for a few Nissan dealers back when I worked in the auto industry. So I'm extremely familiar. And all my cars I have ever owned have been lowered.

That being said, what I'm experiencing is a first. Add to that, what I've described I noticed from day one when the car was completely stock. The lowering didn't actually make it worse at all, so that's what she leading me to believe that it's the tires.

Also, I appreciate vendors chiming in, thank you, but the VWR springs I purchased specifically noted for R w DCC?

italynstylion

Ready to race!
I drove a Mazda RX7 TT before my Golf R. Putting the DCC in comfort mode is like riding a CLOUD to work. I'm guessing it HAS to be your coil overs...

MDLBC

Ready to race!
I never had a performance car of any sort before, and never had a car with Summer tires either, so I have been freaking out like you every time I hit a pothole. I didn't want the added expense of getting 18" rims and new tires so I went the sacrilegious route of getting all season tires (Conti DWS 06's). [emoji33] Way more comfortable for this old man's back.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

I did not see this asked.
You have verified shipping pucks removed?
When you go over some normal bumps how does it do?

RoyB2

Ready to race!
It's the 19" wheels. My stock R was terrible on the Chicago roads, even in comfort mode. I switched to 18s and it's night and day difference. 19s don't have enough sidewall for this car. I have zero regrets.

Slow*Jim

Ready to race!