IMG_20200114_195713.jpg
IMG_20200114_201910.jpg
IMG_20200114_204120.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Did someone call my name??..............

Seriously I haven't seen anything that I consider robust/OEM/waterproof for the filter etc...

From memory I think all the pointing points for the 2.0lt engine air box are there on our cars as that's what those cones are for near the battery.

So a VWR air box could fit, just have to custom fit a new pipe from the airbox to the turbo.....however the turbo in the 2.0lt is in the same place as ours.....also have to route the camshaft air breather pipe to the box & in your case route the brake fluid pipe differently, in my case my brake fluid reservoir is in a different place...

I custom built a CAI for my previous car, but haven't do for this so far as the OEM pipework & box are quite good & it is not over the hottest part of the engine (unlike my previous car)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Door protectors...done that...RGM...& got a nice silicone key cover...both the first items I did.......amongst many!!

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Your airbox looks just slightly smaller than the stock one on the GTI. A lot of people with GTI's dremel out the part of the stock airscoop that is blocked off, or remove the front duct entirely. From what I understand, there aren't too many differences between the 1.4's and the 1.8/2.0's. Can you measure the diameter of the stock turbo inlet pipe and the stock intake pipe? I'll check on what the stock measurements are on the GTI. I have a feeling that most of the MQB 1.8/2.0 intakes will bolt up fairly easily to the 1.4's.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
@reggie, sorry broh I had a damn busy weekend (check the update in the next paragraph) and couldn't answer right away, neither measure, I cannot specify the measure of my stock pipe since I haven't measured it but it is indeed smaller then the 3" I had.

Woahhh!!!!
Update.
So due to some special circumstances my budget got cut down drastically....I'M GETTING MARRIED!!!! Damn woman I awakened that day careless and by the end I was engaged. So yeah, weddy weddy and stuff but no performance upgrades in a while....NOT!!

Imma not just admit defeat!. If you are good at something never do it free! (This also applies if you aren't too good either ;) ).

I contacted Racing Line team and I am already under negotiations to have my car as a test pilot to adapt their intake! (damn columbo skills).
If negotiations go well I can get in my hands the intake (I'll absorb the extra expenses tho)

If this doesn't work I'll find a way to get in my hands the intake anyways :D

Congratulations.........;)

You are now owned...........:D

Ponchotg

First of all! Good luck with the wedding, been married for a year and a half, and tho now I really have to dig through my pockets to save some money for my car, the marriage has been worth it!!

Second... Best of luck with the mod, I am very curious to see if this works since I have a 1.4 tsi too! If there is anything I can do to help except buying parts lol will gladly help!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Good luck with the prototyping. Hope it goes well for you. As a temp idea, you may be able to use an aftermarket panel filter for some more airflow. I'd start by measuring your filter and getting some measurements on other MK7 panel filters. You can also modify/remove the stock air dam/snow guard for a little extra airflow.

Riverbass

Keeping updated.

First of all thanking every body for your support, you guys hit my right in the feels :,)

I am still in contact, in the past two weeks I've been redirected to 3 people from vwr team so I'm still at it.
Last communication I had with them was Friday and it was a "we are already on it, than you for your patience". :p

the wait kills me

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
the lengths and location of the boost pipes are different as are the bends and the sensor locations. I'm fairly positive that they won't work.

Riverbass

Update

So I am still in contact with the racingline team.
Downside: I am displeased by the amount of burocracy they have, but I kinda understand this since its an "out of standard protocol purchase".
Upside: Ended submitting my CV and applying for a Design Engineer position, which is good :D.

@Reggie Enchilada, the pipes (both the inlet and the discharge) are 2.5".
You are right on your previous statement it won't work.

Sadly I still don't have the intake in my hands...

BUT I am sharing a "How to", hopefully before I die I'll be able to complete this thread.

1.-Get your hands to begin screwing those 2 screws.

While attempting to remove it be aware since in both sides it has these tiny locks, use a flat screw driver or anything to go round it and pull it, do't be afraid to use a little force

2.- I am not certain for the word used for that grip thingy for the pipes, but here we call em "mubea" so bear with me, any clamp will surely be enough to get them, just squeeze and unplug the breather from the main fitler box hose.

3.- To get the filter box out just pull it up, again, don't be afraid of using a little force. BE AWARE of the secondary breather hose, best is to pull it off before atempting to take out the box.

4.- Just unclamp the inlet turbo hose and tada.

Notes, I plan to replace the stock 2.5" pipe for a 3" ( as the r600 has) and route it behind the turbo discharge hose (I've previously confirmed this).
The secondary hose is just too short, I will get a larger one (pretty much every auto part shop round here have em) and use the discharge hose to route it safely.

If by any chance anobody feels courageous enough to do this, very welcome and feel free to post here!, Just make SURE you have the next fix points for the r600/apr/injen intake system!!!!

Screwing and fixing points in the front are the same.

Thank everybody for your support, I wasn't even sure I would be able to get a single reply!
Gonna update after I get my hand on the intake.

Have a good one everybody!

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Good luck with the R&D. Routing the new intake through there looks like a bit of a PITA. While you are under the hood, you might as well do an IS20 swap and find a tuner for it lol

Riverbass

Update.
I got not more response. they just stop replying. That was a shame, I got my hopes so high.. sigh... even one of the palls here on the forum did also talk to them, no luck.

Anyways. There'll be no more updates from my part until I work my ass off to buy it :D.

Be my guest if you decide to do this., please share your results if so!.

Have a good one.