GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust recommendations

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Once you mess with the downpipe, you are at risk of not passing emissions. It kind of depends if your state does a plug in or a sniff test. If it's a plug in, you can use a spacer on the O2sensor to trick the ecu. The other thing is whether or not the state requires you to get an inspection any time soon on a new car. In NJ, I have a sticker good until 2021. Outside of that, if you are solely looking for sound, a full exhaust is needed. I've heard a catless downpipe on the golf and it still sounds quieter than a stock gti. I suspect the muffler is the culprit.

Bbuenger71

Hey everyone, I am looking for a few lurkers on this forum (preferably in ATL ;) ) that can give me recommendations for my new VW Sportswagen SE 5 speed exhaust system like (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR-_PzE7lqs - http://www.awe-tuning.com/mk7-golf-sportwagen-1-8t-exhaust-suite with the downpipe), that is legal in the sense that it passes emissions for my state.

Any recommendations, suggestions?

I have a CTS catless Down Pipe on my GSW. Can barely tell a difference in sound. I think the resonator is the culprit. And if you go with a high flow downpipe I highly suggest you getting a catted one unless you want to have your windows up and a/c on recirc all the time. I have a 200 cell sitting in my garage that I cannot wait to put on. I feel bad for the workers and the people behind me at the drive thru Starbucks every time I go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbuenger71

Oh and the GSW exhaust is 5mm smaller than the GTI. 65mm vs 60mm

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I have a CTS catless Down Pipe on my GSW. Can barely tell a difference in sound. I think the resonator is the culprit. And if you go with a high flow downpipe I highly suggest you getting a catted one unless you want to have your windows up and a/c on recirc all the time. I have a 200 cell sitting in my garage that I cannot wait to put on. I feel bad for the workers and the people behind me at the drive thru Starbucks every time I go there.

The fumes are that bad? I was considering doing a catless because it's not that loud. You have me rethinking this. True about the post downpipe exhaust as well. If you go aftermarket catback it won't be an issue, but if you do downpipe only, you will need to make sure it has the right adapter.

Bbuenger71

The fumes are that bad? I was considering doing a catless because it's not that loud. You have me rethinking this. True about the post downpipe exhaust as well. If you go aftermarket catback it won't be an issue, but if you do downpipe only, you will need to make sure it has the right adapter.

It's horrible. Strongly urge against it. If you're worried about your wife saying something about the noise then she will definitely complain about the smell. Mine sure does. When I ordered the downpipe from CTS the cat it came with was for a GTI and didn't fit. They sent me a test pipe for a Golf as well. I recoded my climate control with VCDS so my recirc won't turn off after 20 min. I'll be putting the cat on this week. And maybe cutting out the resonator too... I'll post a video of the sound if I take the resonator out.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It's horrible. Strongly urge against it. If you're worried about your wife saying something about the noise then she will definitely complain about the smell. Mine sure does. When I ordered the downpipe from CTS the cat it came with was for a GTI and didn't fit. They sent me a test pipe for a Golf as well. I recoded my climate control with VCDS so my recirc won't turn off after 20 min. I'll be putting the cat on this week. And maybe cutting out the resonator too... I'll post a video of the sound if I take the resonator out.

Ok. Thanks. I was actually leaning towards catted just because I want to keep it quiet. I like the sleeper aspect of the wagon. I heard a video of a catless and it still sounded pretty quiet. That's what made me consider it. As far as sound goes, if you want more, I would strongly consider replacing or removing the muffler first before the resonator. A muffler quiets things, the resonator controls the frequency. A lot of people who remove the resonator for sound usually still don't get the sound they wanted, or end up with drone. I'm pretty sure our muffler is the culprit for how quiet the car is.

SPRTWGNNV

I have a 2017 GSW with a USP catted DP and AWE touring exhaust, slightly louder than stock but not unpleasant, only louder when you really get on it. As far a emissions go, I can't tell you, in Nevada they do annual tests but no visual inspections. My 2010 TDI with a full Rawtech DP and exhaust and a Malone Stage 3 tune would pass the Nevada dyno/sniffer emissions test, everyone told me it would not, go figure!

clos

I have a local shop who will sell me Unitronic TB $900 installed. The owner of the shop had it and got rid of the car. Thoughts?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If your willing to drive north to SC I can build you a custom exhaust for a fraction of the cost. Anything from muffler delete to a full turbo back