GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warming up the gti

ihor_bayus

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi there I have always warmed up my car for at least 5 min before I started driving in a winter. One of my friends always tells me even tho turbo Car is warm you have to check oil temperature before revving it about 3k rpm. Is it true? What oil temperature should be before I can start driving? And before shutting down you have to wait at least a minute is that true as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hi there I have always warmed up my car for at least 5 min before I started driving in a winter. One of my friends always tells me even tho turbo Car is warm you have to check oil temperature before revving it about 3k rpm. Is it true? What oil temperature should be before I can start driving? And before shutting down you have to wait at least a minute is that true as well?

No warm up.
Start and go.
Drive normal, conservative until oil at 180F or more.
Then drive how you want.

Come home, park, turn off. Pump will run and cool turbo.
If you drove really hard on way home.
Take a victory lap around the block to slow down and then park as above.
Turn off and collect the trophy!

ihor_bayus

Passed Driver's Ed
No warm up.

Start and go.

Drive normal, conservative until oil at 180F or more.

Then drive how you want.

Come home, park, turn off. Pump will run and cool turbo.

If you drove really hard on way home.

Take a victory lap around the block to slow down and then park as above.

Turn off and collect the trophy!

Well explained. Thank you so much. Easy and simple

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
It is that simple - I will add on to state that extended idling in cold conditions generally results in a rich running condition where the engine is supplying more fuel that what is being burned, which can end up washing out your cylinders with fuel and a loss of compression - this is the extreme however in general idling for long times is not needed. a simple 30-60 second cat warm up cycle and easy driving does it!