GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB1 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
My stupid question... is the GTI JB1 the same as the 1.8t JB1?
I see the GTI unit is "group 2" and the 1.8 is "group 3". Is there a difference? I see a lot of used JB1 for sale but always from a GTI and I want to know if that would work on my Golf 1.8

They are the same unit
The newer Rev2 units though have a plug fix that allows for use of map 6. With the older rev 1 unit you need to try get the unused plug put in a difficult place. See post 2 of this thread where it is covered.

There is a grommet already there. It's really easy

Been thinking about this. Yes it should be fairly easy to route through that grommet, but that opens you up for things like "See? There's a hole in that grommet which means you had a piggyback tune in here. WARRANTY VOID!"

Probably blowing it out of proportion but I can see VW doing something like that should the engine or tranny blow even if completely unrelated.

byong

Been thinking about this. Yes it should be fairly easy to route through that grommet, but that opens you up for things like "See? There's a hole in that grommet which means you had a piggyback tune in here. WARRANTY VOID!"

Probably blowing it out of proportion but I can see VW doing something like that should the engine or tranny blow even if completely unrelated.

I am about to install my JB4 and also thinking the same thing...
Im planning to remove the grommet put in the cable then cover/seal it with duct then put it back if need to go to dealership...is this possible?

In another note is it mandatory to connect the AFR cable or I can skip...again a concern that in case the dealership is picky and knows this piggybacks they can also check in there and say "you got the wire pin/tap"

thanks in advance

Im planning to remove the grommet put in the cable then cover/seal it with duct then put it back if need to go to dealership...is this possible?

In another note is it mandatory to connect the AFR cable or I can skip...again a concern that in case the dealership is picky and knows this piggybacks they can also check in there and say "you got the wire pin/tap"

thanks in advance

I should have watched an install video, didn't know there was a wire tap. DOH! Hmmmm. Wonder if there is a way to tap into it that is completely removable without a trace. Will have to research.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I should have watched an install video, didn't know there was a wire tap. DOH! Hmmmm. Wonder if there is a way to tap into it that is completely removable without a trace. Will have to research.

You can make your own extension cable by buying the connector ends. Or you can try to remove the pin and crimp the wire in with the existing and then put the pin back in

You can make your own extension cable by buying the connector ends. Or you can try to remove the pin and crimp the wire in with the existing and then put the pin back in

Clever. Making my own Y cable might be something I could muster up. I'm handy with a soldering iron :D

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

thanks in advance

The AFR is not mandatory.

A dealers job is to repair cars by either having you or warranty to pay for it. They rely on the computer to tell them go ahead or not. I find it hard to believe that they have the time to first start searching the thousands of yards of wires etc of the car.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I think people are way overthinking things. If they are that worried, then don't modify your car

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I think people are way overthinking things. If they are that worried, then don't modify your car

I agree. Yeah, don't be sloppy with things. But I can't imagine a dealer noticing anything from a clean installation of this device.

Like stereo amps, shocks, springs. If it's a slop job, maybe a dealer will give trouble. But if the installation is clean?

I agree. Yeah, don't be sloppy with things. But I can't imagine a dealer noticing anything from a clean installation of this device.

Like stereo amps, shocks, springs. If it's a slop job, maybe a dealer will give trouble. But if the installation is clean?

All very valid points. There is being cautious and there is being paranoid. I'm trying for the former :p

Still might go for the 4, just have to get the car first and see what I'm working with. If I can route it in a way that it doesn't look like anything when removed, then I will. I doubt very much if something goes wrong they'll go looking for something like this, but better to be safe than sorry.

nicvail6953

I'm considering buying the jb1 fot my mk7 1.8. I'd like to know if I need a computer for thw jb1 or not because I don't have any.

Nic
VW Golf 1.8 TSI

Tapatalk

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I'm considering buying the jb1 fot my mk7 1.8. I'd like to know if I need a computer for thw jb1 or not because I don't have any.

Nic
VW Golf 1.8 TSI

Tapatalk

Yes, you can run map 1. But, if you get it used, make sure it is set to map 1, otherwise you won't know for sure and won't be able to adjust it.

Slick99

Ready to race!

Nic
VW Golf 1.8 TSI

Tapatalk
U can use jb4 app on your cell phone.

Sent from my HTC 10

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Installed the jb1 on my wife's car today. It was a second hand rev 1 unit. Plug D as stated seems to be near impossible to get from the top. Her car is stock height (for now) so I didn't even need to jack the car up to access it from the bottom. I taped over the A plug and set it aside since her car didn't have the connector. Drove it around the block to clear the dash lights. Throttle response seems improved which would have been my biggest complaint on her car to begin with. Didn't really beat on it since the car was cold and we now need to fill it with 93. Will report back what she thinks of it later today.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Installed the jb1 on my wife's car today. It was a second hand rev 1 unit. Plug D as stated seems to be near impossible to get from the top. Her car is stock height (for now) so I didn't even need to jack the car up to access it from the bottom. I taped over the A plug and set it aside since her car didn't have the connector. Drove it around the block to clear the dash lights. Throttle response seems improved which would have been my biggest complaint on her car to begin with. Didn't really beat on it since the car was cold and we now need to fill it with 93. Will report back what she thinks of it later today.

The throttle response comment is purely placebo. The unit doesn't activate till 9PSI, and it doesn't affect throttle mapping. It simply adds boost once that 9psi threshold is reached.