GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Classic: Shell 91 vs Petro 91

lowNslo

Canadian Bacon
Car(s)
08 GTI UG
Curious what everyone uses and why. I've heard Shell 91 is the gas to go with, fewer additives, ethanol etc. I've been using Petro for a while, gonna try Shell for a few months, see if I notice a difference. Better performance, mileage, wear etc. Appreciate any input. ??

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
I use nothing but chevron supreme plus 94 works very well for me I've never put anything else in it since the first day I bought it with 15 km on it dealership put a full tank of fuel in it which was 91 and that will be the only time my car will see that chevron 94 has no ethonol in it as well imo this is the best fuel for our cars

Trev

Passed Driver's Ed
Shell has been the best for me with a jb1 any other fuel and I've experienced hesitation issues on hot days.

GTI_guy2

Passed Driver's Ed
Shell has been the best for me with a jb1 any other fuel and I've experienced hesitation issues on hot days.

I also have JB1 but haven't tried shell 91 yet only Petro 94. It runs great on 94 but when I was stock, I only ran shell 91. I got better gas mileage and performance.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
2-3* more timing (less pull) on 94 vs 91 according to my logs.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I was told Shell gas was junk...I use Chevron 91. It's what I used on my MKVI with APR Stage II and never had any problems. Was also told using a higher octane then needed was a waste. Who knows.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Chevron 94 made right here in the lower mainland plant can't go wrong here

IT L GO

Chevron 94 made right here in the lower mainland plant can't go wrong here

No Chevron in this area, so I always use Shell V-Power in both my stock R and in the Porsche. I like the fact that Shell V-Power has no ethanol to eat up rubber parts, especially in the Porsche which does not see regular use.

I use Shell in the Touareg too, but I am too cheap to use the V-Power diesel, so I use only the regular diesel. No one has been able to convince me that there is any real benefit in premium diesel to warrant the extra cost.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
No Chevron in this area, so I always use Shell V-Power in both my stock R and in the Porsche. I like the fact that Shell V-Power has no ethanol to eat up rubber parts, especially in the Porsche which does not see regular use.

I use Shell in the Touareg too, but I am too cheap to use the V-Power diesel, so I use only the regular diesel. No one has been able to convince me that there is any real benefit in premium diesel to warrant the extra cost.

One of the reasons for running 94 chevron, no ethanol as well

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I get the best performance and fuel economy on shell 91

My last tank was Shell 91, that's what the dealers use. My next tank will be Chevron 91 because that's what I use. I'll post my gas mileage results for both tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
So here it is - Chevron vs Shell mileage.

Shell:

405 Kms driven -> 39.5L of fuel used -> 9.75L/100 kms -> 24.1mpg

Chevron:

412 Kms driven -> 41.4L of fuel used -> 10.05L/100 kms -> 23.4mpg

The car only had 53 kms on the ODO when I bought it so I was conservative with the go pedal on the tank of Shell gas.

I did a number of hard pulls on the tank of Chevron gas since I wanted to drive it more like I normally would. I'm on another tank of Shell gas so when I fill up, driving more like I did on Chevron gas, I'll let you all know what my mileage was. So far as I can see though, there won't be much of a difference for me wether I use Shell gas or Chevron gas as far as gas mileage goes.

Canada Golf R

There are only so many refineries spread over the country. If your in a place that only has one refinery (say shell) chances are all the local gas stations pick up their fuel there (shell, petro, chevron, esso, etc.).

The refinery sells / transfers it to finished tanks. These finished tanks are then sold to all companies in the local area and you can see all makes of trucks picking up fuel there. When trucks come to pick it up, there are small amounts of additives added (less than 1%), but the "base" fuel is common stock.