GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Honestly, What is the Difference?

Here is an oil analysis on my car from 20k to 30k (10k miles) on dealer Castrol fill with stage 1+ from Uni. This is good oil, really good oil. ....

That's definitely not a Castrol. Castrol's 504/507 00 oils don't contain any
Boron, but Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 (which is the exact
same as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-30) does. That's what Volkswagen
currently fills into very most of their engines (if not all). Very most top spec
Castrol oils use titanium as a friction reducer instead of molybdenium or
boron (because 'Titanium' sells better).

I agree that this is great stuff! :)

Raegar

Ready to race!
This rabbit hole goes deeper and deeper...starting to understand why there's people who spend hours analyzing this stuff haha

Anyway, I think I will get myself the first one and try it out. If anything I'll go back to Castrol Edge with the one after that, but with a 96% 5 star rating on Amazon, and so many other forums swearing by it, I just doubt it'll be bad or worth changing

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

augiec

Passed Driver's Ed
Or just use the same Castrol dealers use.

Unless you have another car to use or someone to drive you to a dealer, don't break the filter housing. Buy a new pan drain plug and an OEM filter.

There's often sales for oil changes at the dealer so it's usually not worth it to do it yourself. And if you have a problem after your warranty is up, the first thing you'll be asked by VW is if you had your car serviced at dealers.

The bolded part above is consistent with my experience. I get the coupons in the mail, hold on to em, or print em off the dealer's website and I'm all set. It ends up costing pretty close to the price of the OEM filter, oil, etc.

Check out this dealer special on oil changes in Watertown, MA.

http://www.bostonvw.com/service-parts-specials.aspx

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Or just use the same Castrol dealers use.

Unless you have another car to use or someone to drive you to a dealer, don't break the filter housing. Buy a new pan drain plug and an OEM filter.

There's often sales for oil changes at the dealer so it's usually not worth it to do it yourself. And if you have a problem after your warranty is up, the first thing you'll be asked by VW is if you had your car serviced at dealers.

The bolded part above is consistent with my experience. I get the coupons in the mail, hold on to em, or print em off the dealer's website and I'm all set. It ends up costing pretty close to the price of the OEM filter, oil, etc.

That may be true, cost-wise, but it can be worth it to do it yourself if you don't like the dealer handling your car. Oil changes in this car are pretty easy so I'm not too concerned about the time it takes, and some of the things I like to avoid at the dealer are:

- them adjusting my seat position just to drive it 20 ft into the garage
- taking it through the car wash after I've told them not to
- scratching the interior or exterior inadvertently
- having them inquire about custom parts (euro tails, wheels, etc)
- performing software updates or other services without me knowing about it
- improper service (yes a lot of techs are good and do a good job, but not all). Only way to 100% know if a job was done right and proper care was taken is to do it yourself. I've read multiple stories on here about dealers overfilling on oil changes, or not screwing the oil cap all the way back on, etc.

But I'm not saying one way is better than the other. Obviously a benefit to going the dealer route is you'll have the service in their system. Although it shouldn't be a problem if you document and keep receipts on your own.

If the OP has never done an oil change before and wants to learn, why not? It's a good experience and I think that in and of itself is worth it, at least for the first time.

augiec

Passed Driver's Ed
That may be true, cost-wise, but it can be worth it to do it yourself if you don't like the dealer handling your car. Oil changes in this car are pretty easy so I'm not too concerned about the time it takes, and some of the things I like to avoid at the dealer are:

- improper service (yes a lot of techs are good and do a good job, but not all). Only way to 100% know if a job was done right and proper care was taken is to do it yourself. I've read multiple stories on here about dealers overfilling on oil changes, or not screwing the oil cap all the way back on, etc.

But I'm not saying one way is better than the other. Obviously a benefit to going the dealer route is you'll have the service in their system. Although it shouldn't be a problem if you document and keep receipts on your own.

If the OP has never done an oil change before and wants to learn, why not? It's a good experience and I think that in and of itself is worth it, at least for the first time.

Hey man, to each their own. OP asked about specific oil types for doing it himself. I just wanted to make sure he's well informed if he changes his mind. Chillax brah :p

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Yeah, this is the way I feel.
I think about changing my oil myself, and then think - what's the point?
Then I have to get rid of the drained oil anyway.
Additionally, I drive well under 10k a year - so I just get my oil changed during annual scheduled maintenance visits.

new1207

My local dealer had a special even better than that. It was $59.95 and they gave me a coupon for a $20 dollar mail in rebate. A synthetic oil change for $40 plus tax? Yes please! I was going to change it myself, but with a price like that, why not let the dealership do it especially while it's still under warranty.

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
My local dealer had a special even better than that. It was $59.95 and they gave me a coupon for a $20 dollar mail in rebate. A synthetic oil change for $40 plus tax? Yes please! I was going to change it myself, but with a price like that, why not let the dealership do it especially while it's still under warranty.

Albeit an old story, I would not be surprised if stuff like this still happens today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPWqsaKP9Y8

Raegar

Ready to race!
Certainly the use of coupons I have taken advantage of in the past and it's how I've lasted this long without needing to or wanting to do it myself. But this one I AM babying it and while chances are so slim for anything like above to happen, I think more importantly it's an experience I now want to have and a skill worth knowing.

Great and scary video to think about by the way. Money sometimes brings the worst in people huh?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

NH_MKVII

Passed Driver's Ed
Good info here.
I've always done my own oil changes due to the lack of time to actually bring it to a dealer during business hours and wait. Always at work. I don't know what I'll do now with the new GTI.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion

Agreed, here is another overfill story....I gave the dealer their chance to get it right for my free 10k service. Nope, overfilled. I had to drain 1.5 quarts before it was at the maximum line (when hot). If you want to be sure something is done right, do it yourself. Bottom line, they don't care about your car like you do.