GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU flash counter!!!!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
so not a counter, but an incrementer?

English is not my first language but.... doesn't a counter (noun), increment (verb)? :confused:

he was kidding hahahaha. a "counter" would be something that changes in whole integer values, going up by single digits per increment.

aadouglass.13

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a related note as far as flash counters go. I'm sitting in a tune shop right now and they said that they can flash it back to stock and reset the counter. I would imagine if there is a counter for resets of the the flash counter that they would reset that as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Just a related note as far as flash counters go. I'm sitting in a tune shop right now and they said that they can flash it back to stock and reset the counter. I would imagine if there is a counter for resets of the the flash counter that they would reset that as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

They say they can do it, and maybe they can. But, as a matter of fact, if you tune, and have an engine problem, VW will do a deep-dive before OK'ing warranty work. They will most likely find that the ECU had been tuned, and you will be footing the bill.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Have you ever looked at the scan of any company's flashed car?

Ive personally seen flash counters reset to zero but if the issue is not related i could care less, and reseting it to zero is better than showing the current flash count since every update flash is typically recorded and sent to VW, so if the current count doesn't match what has been recorded its usually a red flag. There are also subtle ways to see if a car has a flash.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Ive personally seen flash counters reset to zero but if the issue is not related i could care less, and reseting it to zero is better than showing the current flash count since every update flash is typically recorded and sent to VW, so if the current count doesn't match what has been recorded its usually a red flag. There are also subtle ways to see if a car has a flash.
Correct me if I am wrong but when you use the scan tool to check the flash counter, doesn't it also show the date of the last flash? So even if the counter is able to be reset, isn't it going to show a current date as the last flash? That right there would also tell them that the ECU was messed with because the original flash of the ECU is going to be right around the build date of the vehicle.

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
I am SO tired of theses 'concerns' over ECU tuning. It's been going on since like 2001.
The only counter that is sure to go up is your smile counter.

Instructions to life :
- Get VW.
- Get Tune.
- Enjoy.

I am SO tired of theses 'concerns' over ECU tuning.
Others are tired of people notoriously denying the negative effects.
You don't even need to read any of the concerns. ;)

Btw, it looks like this:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Btw, it looks like this:

This forum has more rational people re. tuning than the MK6 forum did.
Those guys were just rampant with the belief that you were completely in the clear with a tune.

pcr

Ready to race!
From the point of view of a second-hand buyer it would be good to know if a car had a TD1 or an engine mod had been detected, I suggest a big red light in the centre of the dashboard.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
From the point of view of a second-hand buyer it would be good to know if a car had a TD1 or an engine mod had been detected, I suggest a big red light in the centre of the dashboard.

I suggest stipulating in your sales contract a stipulation that you can bow-out after a scan for such. I definitely wouldn't pay the same for a used car which had been driven with a flash tune as I would for a car with a normally stressed engine.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Btw, it looks like this:

That's perhaps what the service advisor sees. IIRC, ODIS shows a line with every flash, the date, revision, and the equipment used to flash.

People, don't waste your time and money flashing back to stock.

Last edited: