GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shorty's Short Shifter Review

RJ_infinite

Ready to race!
Alright so after having Shorty's short shifter on my car for a few weeks it's time for a review.

I had the main lever on for a while before I finally got the 42DD bushings in. Mike put the shifter at about 30% reduction for me which was just about what the diesel geek I took off was. Taking the DG off I put Shorty's main lever on and the rest of the stock shift assembly. Shifting reduction felt similar, but actually getting into gears was night and day difference. The Shorty's lever was so much smoother and nicer that even my girlfriend noticed how much nicer it was since I swapped the pieces between teaching her to drive manual.

Fast forward to finally getting all the bushings and Shorty's side to side in, the side to side feels longer but engaging gears is even more positive. Front to back just feels beautiful shifting and the longer side to side helps prevent miss-shifting. Just driving with it all in the first time I wanted to shift all I could because it makes it feel so enjoyable. Every shift is made with a positive and solid feel that that i felt with my old apr unit with bushings, but the apr was too notchy. Having told Mike all my issues with the apr and DG, his shift assembly feels absolutely beautiful and I'm finally satisfied when I shift.

Packaging was also incredible. He reused some materials, but each piece was perfectly and tightly packed and protected. Including some freebies which made it that much sweeter. Highly reccomend that if you are wanting a short shifter or feel your current assembly is lacking that you message Shorty's and he'll set you straight. Even if you don't buy his setup he'll still be happy to help. His customer service is also top-notch, always answers any questions and concerns I had.

**Will add pics once on my laptop**

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Interesting. I haven't done a massive amount of research but I've generally heard very good things about the DG shifter. What specifically were your problems with the DG shifter? You say Shorty's was much smoother, but can you give more details? I'm really curious as I think my next mod will probably be a short shifter. From what I understand the DG shifter is generally regarded as the ultimate short shifter, so if this is really that much better it must be utterly phenomenal!

RJ_infinite

Ready to race!
Well install on DG is a pain to me personally. I hated taking it off too. Aligning it is a bit more complicated as well. The main selling point for the DG is that it replaces endlinks so no need for bushings with the price.

It was nicer than my apr unit (to be fair I only kept that on the shortest setting which was killing synchros on 1-2 shifts but still too pricy of a unit). But for me the shifts weren't crisp. They were fairly smooth and got into the gears fine. With the Shorty's unit (which honestly doesnt need the bushings or side to side but they make it much more crisp) it's like butter. The DG was slightly foggy feeling where as Shortys went right into the gear beautifully. Plus he can put it to whatever amount of reduction you want.

Starshine

Passed Driver's Ed
Weird. I thought I'd read up on all the short shifters out there for the MK7 when I was choosing, but this is the first I've heard of Shorty's. I went with the DG. Fiddling with all those allen screws during installation was a bit of a pain, but I think it feels great. It snicks in and out of gears really nice and the throws are a good distance. I was worried the side to side reduction would be too much and make it hard to find the gear you're looking for, but no problems there.

Would you say the Shorty's is more of an improved OEM feel rather than the totally different DG feel?

RJ_infinite

Ready to race!
Weird. I thought I'd read up on all the short shifters out there for the MK7 when I was choosing, but this is the first I've heard of Shorty's. I went with the DG. Fiddling with all those allen screws during installation was a bit of a pain, but I think it feels great. It snicks in and out of gears really nice and the throws are a good distance. I was worried the side to side reduction would be too much and make it hard to find the gear you're looking for, but no problems there.

Would you say the Shorty's is more of an improved OEM feel rather than the totally different DG feel?

If you look in the classifieds he posted about custom short shifters, but since that post he's started making them for anyone that has requested one and has patience for him to complete the process. He does actually use the oem lever and custom finishes it while also making it to the exact reduction you want for front to back. He also uses an oem metal relay lever. His pieces plus the 42DD bushings are perfect in my opinion. The throw is lighter and shorter and gives a more solid feeling engagement. Plus the side to side feels great for the short front to back.

I think the DG was great, and getting it into gears felt good, but at least to me this shifter just feels more positive and solid. This isnt quite oem+, it is its own shifter just using oem parts. The front to back is similar to DG, but more solid feedback rather than putting it in gear and it just going and feeling a bit mushy, this smoothly goes in while giving a solid feel.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Got my Shorty shifter last week and thought I'd review. I had a Boomba SS adapter for about a week as well and I didn't like the shift feel, sometimes it felt "crunchy" going thru gears. I opted for the "full upgrade" which includes the refinished shifter, metal relay lever, 42DD shifter bushings and brass bushings for the metal relay lever.
Install was a b!&7^$. I got home and it was in the mail so I waited about 2 hours. Big mistake, the engine was still warm and I think that was the main reason it took almost 2 hours to get the original shifter out. I recommend taking out the battery and battery box to open up the entire area. I sprayed some lube to try and loosen the splines but because it was still warm it was difficult. I even got a blister after working it for a while! Eventually I was able to use my 3/8 ratchet to tap it off; would've been easier if I had more space for a hammer (which is why I recommend moving the battery/box). Install of the new shifter was easy. Replacing the square front/back lever was as simple as popping it out and popping the new one in. The left/right lever however was more difficult, I had to tear the cylindrical plastic piece out of the center and then remove the rest of the rubber. The circular bushings fits, it just looks weird.
Overall the shift feels great and very solid. There is some crunchiness sometimes when going into 1st from neutral but all other gears feel great. I had trouble with the Boomba going from 3rd to N, sometimes it'd fall into 4. No issues now.

Attachments

• IMG_3089.JPG
    IMG_3089.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 883
  • IMG_3091.JPG
    IMG_3091.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 861
  • IMG_3093.JPG
    IMG_3093.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 829
  • IMG_3094.JPG
    IMG_3094.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 798

paulgarnett6

Ready to race!
Who do I msg for these I have a forge one but when set to shortness I want it's very sticky and side movement is way off

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Got my Shorty shifter last week and thought I'd review. I had a Boomba SS adapter for about a week as well and I didn't like the shift feel, sometimes it felt "crunchy" going thru gears. I opted for the "full upgrade" which includes the refinished shifter, metal relay lever, 42DD shifter bushings and brass bushings for the metal relay lever.
Install was a b!&7^$. I got home and it was in the mail so I waited about 2 hours. Big mistake, the engine was still warm and I think that was the main reason it took almost 2 hours to get the original shifter out. I recommend taking out the battery and battery box to open up the entire area. I sprayed some lube to try and loosen the splines but because it was still warm it was difficult. I even got a blister after working it for a while! Eventually I was able to use my 3/8 ratchet to tap it off; would've been easier if I had more space for a hammer (which is why I recommend moving the battery/box). Install of the new shifter was easy. Replacing the square front/back lever was as simple as popping it out and popping the new one in. The left/right lever however was more difficult, I had to tear the cylindrical plastic piece out of the center and then remove the rest of the rubber. The circular bushings fits, it just looks weird.
Overall the shift feels great and very solid. There is some crunchiness sometimes when going into 1st from neutral but all other gears feel great. I had trouble with the Boomba going from 3rd to N, sometimes it'd fall into 4. No issues now.

Hello, and thanks for the kind words!

Yes, as a word of caution, be careful when you work in a hot engine bay - I too have unpleasantly warmed my hands on occasion lol.

And for others doing any shifter install, when removing the main shift lever from the splines, please take care when removing so as not to damage anything. I find if you tuck your hands under each side and gently but firmly pull up quickly, do this repeatedly and it should come off nicely!

The 42DD bushings (or any other solid shift bushings), well the round one that goes in the end link for the relay lever, can be a bit of a pain to remove as you do have to 'destroy' the old rubber bushing that is folded in. Yes, the square one fits snug and flush, the round one seems odd in comparison, but once everything is installed they are a perfect fit!

I am wondering if it perhaps a slight adjustment issue if you are experiencing any difficulty going in to first. Is this when the car is moving at all?

Thanks again and glad you are enjoying Shortys!!

Does disconnecting/removing the battery cause problems with anything being rebooted?

Typically it should not, just ensure the car and all it's systems are off, and your key is not in range. Then wait 15 minutes.

When you reinstall battery and start your car you will have to 'reset' a couple drive systems.. simply turn your wheel full lock to left then to right, and the dash lights should all go off. Then you will probably have to retrain your one-touch comfort windows, simply hold down and continue to hold down all the way to bottom, then hold up all the way to window up, may need to repeat this process a couple times.

I found for myself though, that you should have sufficient room by leaving the battery in place.

Cheers!

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I am wondering if it perhaps a slight adjustment issue if you are experiencing any difficulty going in to first. Is this when the car is moving at all?

Does not happen after car is in motion. Maybe its only when the car is cold. Not that bad though.