GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDELEVEN

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Since it seems that I do not have the memory module for the mirrors, if I was to order the folding mirrors, would I then be able to do the mirror dip?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Thankfully I was able to code my LED taillights but I learned that I can not change the comfort turn signals, or add the hatch pop or long code the fob while running on the 17/17 Sport.

MANU01

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it possible that newer built 2017 Golf/GTI cannot be tweaked as the older ones?

There are two items I cannot change with OBDeleven on my Golf (built Feb. 2017):

DRLs and fog lights as Coming/Leaving Home
09 - Central Electronics
Adaptation – 10
(4)-Comfort illumination-Coming Home Leuchten -> "Fog light" (default “Low beam”)

I can't find "comfort" under the search. My car has the lighting package (xenon)

and

Windows close automatically during rain
09 - Central Electronics
Adaptation - 10
(15) Access Control 2 - Regenschliessen_ein aus -> “active” (Rain Closing on / off)
(16) Access Control 2 - Regenschliessen_art -> “Permanent” (Rain closing Type)
(28) Access Control 2 - Menuesteuerung Regenschliessen -> “active” (enables menu in head unit)
In head unit, Car - Setup - Open and Close

I can't find "Access Control 2" in the search box. My car has the auto wipers installed.

Any help would be great. Maybe OBDeleven screenshots? Thanks.

shabaz

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here and a newbie with obdeleven.
I have installed the LED tail lights on a 16 gti NA. Now my question is should I code the Lasttyp channel from incandescent to LED on all outer and inner lights? I see that stock value for the outer lights should be changed from 14 kombinierte Blink- Bremsleuchten to 35 kombinierte LED Blink-Bremsleuchten. But I can't figure out the setting for the inner lights. I noticed that some people changed all to 34 LED Bremsleuchten. I also know that obdeleven has an app for this but I don't want to use it because I don't know what exactly was done and more importantly I want to learn and do it myself. Any help or input regarding this would be appreciated. Cheers

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I have installed the LED tail lights on a 16 gti NA. Now my question is should I code the Lasttyp channel from incandescent to LED on all outer and inner lights? I see that stock value for the outer lights should be changed from 14 kombinierte Blink- Bremsleuchten to 35 kombinierte LED Blink-Bremsleuchten. But I can't figure out the setting for the inner lights. I noticed that some people changed all to 34 LED Bremsleuchten. I also know that obdeleven has an app for this but I don't want to use it because I don't know what exactly was done and more importantly I want to learn and do it myself. Any help or input regarding this would be appreciated. Cheers

I've used the taillight app 3x (2x LED and 1x back Standard ) and it's worked well each time.

shabaz

I've used the taillight app 3x (2x LED and 1x back Standard ) and it's worked well each time.

The app uses 100 credits and I don't have that lol. But more importantly I wanna do it myself. Would it makes sense if I code the outer lights to kombinierte LED Blink-Bremsleuchten and the inner lights to LED Bremsleuchten?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
The app uses 100 credits and I don't have that lol. But more importantly I wanna do it myself. Would it makes sense if I code the outer lights to kombinierte LED Blink-Bremsleuchten and the inner lights to LED Bremsleuchten?

You're talking German to me :confused: :p

shabaz

You're talking German to me :confused: :p

Sorry for being confusing. What I'm trying to do is change the Lasttyp channel from incandescent to LED for my retrofit OEM LED tail lights.
For example: currently my lights work fine and the stock or default value for Lasttyp is kombinierte Blink- Bremsleuchten (combined flashing and brake lights). So my question is, should I change it to an LED setting or leave it the way it is?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

Binhness: Excellent objectives - well done!! I agree - Apps are dangerous for the very reason that you quote and the user learns nothing (and the user pays credits for the privilege of learning nothing)!

Much better to do the tweaks manually - because you get a record of the changes that you made and you get experience on how CAN networks operate (very useful for when the brown stuff and the fan meet - which WILL happen at some point).

So - back to your very good question. Not sure how much you know about a thing called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM), but when a lamp is dimmed in the mk7, the control module (the one called "Central electrics") uses this process to lower the voltage to the lamp. PWM works by switching ON/OFF the 12V supply quickly - it forms a "square wave" pattern when viewed on a scope. The lamp dimming effect happens by "modulating" the relative time that the 12 V supply is switch ON and OFF. So that (for example), in a normal incandescent lamp if you want to dim the lamp to 50%, the ON/OFF times are equal - and if you want 75% dimming, the OFF time is increased to 3 x times the ON time.

Now when you select different settings for Lasttyp, what you are really doing is changing the characteristics of the PWM signal that powers the lamp. I'm not sure of the particular characteristics that the boffins @ VW have chosen for each setting, but I assume that these characteristics are tailored to LED, or incandescent lamps as per the name that is associated with the channel setting. For example, for a Lasttyp setting "45-general LED to 6W"", the PWM ON/OFF times (and the electrical current capacity) is optimized for this Lamp. Some Lasttyp settings are also optimised to the function that is performed as per your example for the blinking/braking activities

So- yes, my view is that it's better to match the Lasstyp channel setting with the Lamp installed - and if possible, with the function being performed by the Leuchte-set.

Don

PS: apropos of PWM, here is a visual example of the square wave for an LED setting in the Lasttyp channel with a 50% dimming value - notice that notwithstanding the 50% value in the Dimmwert channel, the actual "duty-cycle" (i.e. ON-time divided by total time) of the square wave is 60%.

If I select an incandescent setting for the Lasstyp channel, the frequency of the square wave in halved (i.e. the time base becomes more like 10 msec) and the duty cycle becomes 50%. This is an example of the lamp type tailoring that happens wiith different Lasstyp channel settings

Last edited:

MANU01

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it possible that newer built 2017 Golf/GTI cannot be tweaked as the older ones?

There are two items I cannot change with OBDeleven on my Golf (built Feb. 2017):

DRLs and fog lights as Coming/Leaving Home
09 - Central Electronics
Adaptation – 10
(4)-Comfort illumination-Coming Home Leuchten -> "Fog light" (default “Low beam”)

I can't find "comfort" under the search. My car has the lighting package (xenon)

and

Windows close automatically during rain
09 - Central Electronics
Adaptation - 10
(15) Access Control 2 - Regenschliessen_ein aus -> “active” (Rain Closing on / off)
(16) Access Control 2 - Regenschliessen_art -> “Permanent” (Rain closing Type)
(28) Access Control 2 - Menuesteuerung Regenschliessen -> “active” (enables menu in head unit)
In head unit, Car - Setup - Open and Close

I can't find "Access Control 2" in the search box. My car has the auto wipers installed.

Any help would be great. Maybe OBDeleven screenshots? Thanks.

Did the following tweak:

Open/Close Windows (all 4, incl. sunroof) with Remote
Select Central Electrics
Select Security Access
Enter 31347
Select Adaptation
Search Access Control 2 (I used ZV KOMFORT instead)
Select comfort opening and set to active
Select comfort closing and set to active
Select funk komfort oeffnen and set to active
Select funk komfort schilessen and set to active
Select Menuesteuerung komfortbedienung einstellbar and set to adjustable
Select green check mark and come out

Remote open/close windows
by MANU 01, on Flickr

Roll down windows with hand in handle, thumb on dimple, rool up with thumb on dimple (Kessy)
Central Electronics
Adaptation
Search for:
Schlüssellose Zugang - und Startberechtigung
Select Kessy Komfort Oeffnen and set to Active
Do it!

Kessy - remote open/close
by MANU 01, on Flickr

Later on, ill try rain closing with "ZV KOMFORT", didnt have time fot ii today

Last edited:

shabaz

Binhness: Excellent objectives - well done!! I agree - Apps are dangerous for the very reason that you quote and the user learns nothing (and the user pays credits for the privilege of learning nothing)!

Much better to do the tweaks manually - because you get a record of the changes that you made and you get experience on how CAN networks operate (very useful for when the brown stuff and the fan meet - which WILL happen at some point).

So - back to your very good question. Not sure how much you know about a thing called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM), but when a lamp is dimmed in the mk7, the control module (the one called "Central electrics") uses this process to lower the voltage to the lamp. PWM works by switching ON/OFF the 12V supply quickly - it forms a "square wave" pattern when viewed on a scope. The lamp dimming effect happens by "modulating" the relative time that the 12 V supply is switch ON and OFF. So that (for example), in a normal incandescent lamp if you want to dim the lamp to 50%, the ON/OFF times are equal - and if you want 75% dimming, the OFF time is increased to 3 x times the ON time.

Now when you select different settings for Lasttyp, what you are really doing is changing the characteristics of the PWM signal that powers the lamp. I'm not sure of the particular characteristics that the boffins @ VW have chosen for each setting, but I assume that these characteristics are tailored to LED, or incandescent lamps as per the name that is associated with the channel setting. For example, for a Lasttyp setting "45-general LED to 6W"", the PWM ON/OFF times (and the electrical current capacity) is optimized for this Lamp. Some Lasttyp settings are also optimised to the function that is performed as per your example for the blinking/braking activities

So- yes, my view is that it's better to match the Lasstyp channel setting with the Lamp installed - and if possible, with the function being performed by the Leuchte-set.

Don

PS: apropos of PWM, here is a visual example of the square wave for an LED setting in the Lasttyp channel with a 50% dimming value - notice that notwithstanding the 50% value in the Dimmwert channel, the actual "duty-cycle" (i.e. ON-time divided by total time) of the square wave is 60%.

If I select an incandescent setting for the Lasstyp channel, the frequency of the square wave in halved (i.e. the time base becomes more like 10 msec) and the duty cycle becomes 50%. This is an example of the lamp type tailoring that happens wiith different Lasstyp channel settings

Hi Don, thank you for your in depth response to my question. I've read your Leuchte guide and you willing to share this knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I don't know anything about PWM but I just though it would make sense to change the Lasttyp value to an LED simply because any LED lights that came stock with my car has an LED Lasttyp. So now that I've retrofit an LED tail lights to replace my incandescent lights, it would just be wise to change the Lasttyp channel to match.

So after after reading your reply, I'm confident what I'm doing should be fine.
I will change following Lasttyp value:

1) leuchte20brla71 and leuchte21brrc8 to kombinierte LED Blink-Bremsleuchten
2) leuchte23slhlc10 and leuchte24slhra65 to LED Bremsleuchten
Does the changes above makes any sense?

I will also dim all the leuchte channels above from 28 to 10 as I find the lights are too bright.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Hi Don, thank you for your in depth response to my question. I've read your Leuchte guide and you willing to share this knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I don't know anything about PWM but I just though it would make sense to change the Lasttyp value to an LED simply because any LED lights that came stock with my car has an LED Lasttyp. So now that I've retrofit an LED tail lights to replace my incandescent lights, it would just be wise to change the Lasttyp channel to match.

So after after reading your reply, I'm confident what I'm doing should be fine.
I will change following Lasttyp value:

1) leuchte20brla71 and leuchte21brrc8 to kombinierte LED Blink-Bremsleuchten
2) leuchte23slhlc10 and leuchte24slhra65 to LED Bremsleuchten
Does the changes above makes any sense?

I will also dim all the leuchte channels above from 28 to 10 as I find the lights are too bright.

Sounds OK to me - assuming that you have simply retrofitted LED lamps into the old incandescent sockets

Don

grr

I have retrofitted rain and light sensor (had humidity sensor) and auto lights switch (with only rear fog light, the e-Golf is not available with front fogs) and I am trying to code it with OBD eleven. Anyone able to assist?

Here's for VCDS: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=134379&postcount=9

But I am not experienced enough to know convert that to OBD eleven.
I went to central electronics, sub systems and coding, and found this. If I change Regen_Lichtsensor to LIN_regen_licht_sensor the rain sensor starts working, but I haven't been able to get the auto light function working on the light switch. It works just fine in park and on settings, but when set to auto lights are on (instruments, tail and front), but I also get a light switch fault in the car. Anyone know what I need to configure to complete the RLFS and auto light retrofit?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-26-20-36-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-26-20-36-14.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 776
  • Screenshot_2017-04-26-20-36-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-26-20-36-47.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 753
  • Screenshot_2017-04-26-20-36-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-26-20-36-29.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 765
  • Screenshot_2017-04-26-20-37-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-26-20-37-00.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 755

shabaz

Sounds OK to me - assuming that you have simply retrofitted LED lamps into the old incandescent sockets

Don

I'm getting a little worried now because I did the coding change and all is working fine but from what you said above, I didn't swap out the incandescent light bulb for LED bulbs on the stock housing. I installed the Euro LED tail light assembly. You know the lights that Europe and maybe the rest of the world gets but not in NA.

Should I leave the coding the way it is or change it now?