GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bäsemödel: 1.8 TSi Project

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Rear sway bar adventures

Yesterday I started tackling the rear sway bar. It's a straightforward swap but even so I spent s good deal of time looking at others threads and instructions from a couple different companies before jumping in.

Put the car up on ramps so the suspension would remain compressed. I was unclear on wether or not this was a neccesity but I chose it over jackstands because I knew it would work and now I own a set of ramps; win win.

I started removing the end links from the bar and quickly found it easier to remove the end links from the LCAs inseatd. Those are 13mm bolts. With the end links free, I maneuvered the bar out of place. I didn't have to fully drop my exhaust but I was kind of determined to get it out without doing so. If you wanted it out quicker, you can drop the exhaust.

Once it was out, I started taking out the endlinks. I should have sprayed the nuts with some blaster first but I didn't think they would be as tight as they were. The M6 triple square I used was a low quality tool I guess as the points bent in (don't buy from advanced auto if you don't have to) and spun in the bolt. This caused the thin wall of the bolt to crumble. :mad:

I was much more careful on the other side and was barely able to extract the end link. After reading some more threads, I found that this isn't uncommon. The purpose of the M6 triple square is to hold the bolt in place so it doesn't rotate on you as you loosen the 16mm nut. Don't try to do it the other way. I'm sure attempt to loosen the bolt by turning the M6 while holding the nut was too much for the quality of the tool leading to its and the bolt's destruction.

I have a better set of triple square drivers on order as well as a replacement end link. It cost $49 which is a bummer but not the end of the world.

Once the end link comes in, I'll put them on the bar and get everything back together. Lesson learned! Read more threads first!

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Yesterday I started tackling the rear sway bar. It's a straightforward swap but even so I spent s good deal of time looking at others threads and instructions from a couple different companies before jumping in.

Put the car up on ramps so the suspension would remain compressed. I was unclear on wether or not this was a neccesity but I chose it over jackstands because I knew it would work and now I own a set of ramps; win win.

I started removing the end links from the bar and quickly found it easier to remove the end links from the LCAs inseatd. Those are 13mm bolts. With the end links free, I maneuvered the bar out of place. I didn't have to fully drop my exhaust but I was kind of determined to get it out without doing so. If you wanted it out quicker, you can drop the exhaust.

Once it was out, I started taking out the endlinks. I should have sprayed the nuts with some blaster first but I didn't think they would be as tight as they were. The M6 triple square I used was a low quality tool I guess as the points bent in (don't buy from advanced auto if you don't have to) and spun in the bolt. This caused the thin wall of the bolt to crumble. :mad:

I was much more careful on the other side and was barely able to extract the end link. After reading some more threads, I found that this isn't uncommon. The purpose of the M6 triple square is to hold the bolt in place so it doesn't rotate on you as you loosen the 16mm nut. Don't try to do it the other way. I'm sure attempt to loosen the bolt by turning the M6 while holding the nut was too much for the quality of the tool leading to its and the bolt's destruction.

I have a better set of triple square drivers on order as well as a replacement end link. It cost $49 which is a bummer but not the end of the world.

Once the end link comes in, I'll put them on the bar and get everything back together. Lesson learned! Read more threads first!

Your pics are broken.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Hmm... they seem to be showing up for me. I'll look at it tonight. Anyway, bar is in. Great mod with noticable results. Much more stable thru corners. Looking forward to pushing it thru my favorite road on the way to work tomorrow.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I also had end link issues when installing my sway bar. One of the sides the nut wouldn't come off the end link, and just kept spinning. I tried wedging something in there, but that ended up ripping the boot off.

Eventually I was able to get the nut off (used an impact gun and just kept at it...) and I was lucky that the boot just slipped off and didn't tear. I was able to get the boot back on and everything installed, but I'm sure I decreased the life of that end link :D.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Have to do front brakes this week. Pads have no life left in them and the rotors are scored as a result. Surprised they never started squealing when the pad was reaching the end of its life... anyways, I don't have the parts to do the Porsche front caliper setup that I'd like to do someday so I'll be replacing the stock setup. I'd like to go up a step in braking performance so I've been looking for a higher performance pad. Also planning on doing a brake system flush. I'd like to do stainless lines at some point too. Maybe with the caliper upgrade. No real rush on that project though.

Spark plugs coming up soon as well. My alignment was just a little off but I think I'm going to hold off for a bit on that.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Went with fremax high carbon rotors and Texar pads. Going to have them installed at a local shop as well as a brake system flush. Wanted to do stainless lines but not sure it's worth it right now. I'll wait till the Porsche brake swap.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Really nice build, well done and well thought out.

Some of your projects stand out as great do it yourself for others such as the footwell lighting post. You may consider putting those posts in the DIY section so they don't get lost in a build thread.

There are a number of GTI folks who have upgraded their brakes to performance package you likely could pick up their shields, calipers and discs and pads for a reasonable price probably less then the upgrade of rotors and pads you were looking at. Never mind, just read the post above this, pardon.

Again, well done!

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Really nice build, well done and well thought out.

Some of your projects stand out as great do it yourself for others such as the footwell lighting post. You may consider putting those posts in the DIY section so they don't get lost in a build thread.

There are a number of GTI folks who have upgraded their brakes to performance package you likely could pick up their shields, calipers and discs and pads for a reasonable price probably less then the upgrade of rotors and pads you were looking at. Never mind, just read the post above this, pardon.

Again, well done!
Thanks for the kind words!!

I would love to do a GTI swap on brakes or even that Porsche front brake setup I was talking about. But time was of the essence this go around so I'll have to save real brake upgrades for next time.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Today I put the helix sub in! All went well and it sounds amazing! Will post pics tomorrow. Did the cabin filter as well while the glove box was down. Thanks to those who told me to use caution when unhooking it.

Doing spark plugs tomorrow and hopefully picking up a Neuspeed power module tomorrow as well! This one was too good of a deal to pass up!

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Here are some pics from the install. I followed a few videos on youtube and the install went problem free. I started by taking all the trim out, running the cable from the radio back to the sub then disconnecting wiring from the OEM harness, connecting up the new parts and finished by situating the power. Because I was missing a small terminal block, I used heat shrink to insulate the power connectors that tie into the helix harness and some zips to keep everything in place. Wasn't a problem at all.

I currently have the spare on the bottom with the label facing up and the sub sitting on some very thin isolators sitting on top of the spare. I wasnt comfortable with setting it right on the spare as i wanted to have some room for the harness to not be pinched.

Overall, very easy install and it sounds great!

Oh, I also installed new spark plugs today. That finishes off the 60K service!

Next up fogs, piggyback tune and then... black out roof? tint? spoiler? not sure...

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 721

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Neuspeed Power Mod

Got the power module installed yesterday! Used some of the install videos online to find the best cable routing method and I feel happy with how it's secured. Running on 91 at +5psi and man does it make a huge difference! Launches feel great and accelerating while rolling has way more oomph. You really feel it come on in 3rd gear. I went with a NPM for cost reasons. Also, i am strangly ok with the set and forget nature of this box. Normally, I'm a tinkerer and I know the JB1/4 provided many more options/logging etc but at this point, I'm very happy with things. If I ever do feel the need for more power or install a DP or is20, then I'll go full tune. If you are on the fence about where to start when it comes to tunes or piggybacks, give the NPM a try!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Lots of new stuff!

Today I picked up several new pieces!! Thanks to the good people of this forum, I will soon be installing a center cut exhaust valence and exhaust, a maxton front lip and OEM fog lights!! Installs should be happening over the course of this week! Can't wait to see the results!

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Nice pick ups! Can't wait to see the outcome! Nice to see another center exit Golf, welcome to the club!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk