GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

downpipes

rr1santos

Ready to race!
So I am looking for a downpipe and going through different websites, there is a fair amount of them out there...catted, catless, resonated, non resonated.

I definitely want to go catless (aware of CEL but shoot be remedied with spacer to my understanding).

My question is what is the big major difference in downpipe for example the CTS 3.5" for 479$ and AWE downpipe for 1300$..and better yet any of them in between.

I like the idea that CTS is 3.5" but I would like to retain the stock muffler for now as i'm going for a sleeper build for now..I do like the idea of those valved exhausts but I know that catbacks don't really add performance...just sound. I would think the only issue I would run into is the pipe size connecting to stock muffler

any tips, experiences, suggestion would help

thanks

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
CTS will bolt right up to stock exhaust no issues while your under thee mine as well do the res delete as well from audi

rr1santos

Ready to race!
CTS will bolt right up to stock exhaust no issues while your under thee mine as well do the res delete as well from audi

I was actually considering that route HAHAH. does the cts 3.5" catless dp taper to 2.5" or 3"?? im curious how that will effect backpressure and what not

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
3" have had 0 issues like the sound of it got just the right exhaust note now

rr1santos

Ready to race!
3" have had 0 issues like the sound of it got just the right exhaust note now

got it. I wont be stage to for a bit..i just installed the jb4 yesterday..i should expect CEL correct?

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Some get them and some dont

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Some guys put a spacer on

rr1santos

Ready to race!

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
I've only ever went Catless on every Downpipe my theory is the faster the exhaust can get out with 0 restriction better for the car

rr1santos

Ready to race!
I've only ever went Catless on every Downpipe my theory is the faster the exhaust can get out with 0 restriction better for the car

that is the theory I've adapted..i just never throw a CEL on my 08 Miata. just worried the computer in the R will mess up if I throw one.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
I ran a cell with Uni 1+ till I flashed stage 2
Ran 4000km like that

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
You will not see worthy gains from going catless compared to a high flow cat, plus the car will stink, I for one can't stand the smell, but I have been known to be picky :)

Spacers don't always work on these cars from my prior experience. Or they do for a while but then the light comes on a few thousand miles later. I usually recommend a downpipe like AWE Tuning's downpipe if you don't want the CEL to come on without a spacer. They guarantee it.

I do not recommend running a downpipe on these cars without the proper software to match, these cars are quite sophisticated and reference too many data points to create a desired torque model. So if one or two sensors are reading properly, the car will not reach is true potential and can even run lean in many conditions. We have seen it quite a few times.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
You will not see worthy gains from going catless compared to a high flow cat, plus the car will stink, I for one can't stand the smell, but I have been known to be picky :)

Spacers don't always work on these cars from my prior experience. Or they do for a while but then the light comes on a few thousand miles later. I usually recommend a downpipe like AWE Tuning's downpipe if you don't want the CEL to come on without a spacer. They guarantee it.

I do not recommend running a downpipe on these cars without the proper software to match, these cars are quite sophisticated and reference too many data points to create a desired torque model. So if one or two sensors are reading properly, the car will not reach is true potential and can even run lean in many conditions. We have seen it quite a few times.

I really don't want smell. So which high flow cat dp is effective and cost efficient? No

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
I very rarely smell anything but if you don't like it you can always change it out for the catted which I believe they use magnaflow high flow cat and it's an extra $100