GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track day wheel and tire set ups

rexneffect

Ready to race!
I suspect everyone here is gti / r :) but I'm on 15x6" GSW stock wheels and thinking about better tjres for stock class autox, run only on event day. Wheel width keeps me at around 195-205 tire width.

There are some max perf summer tires in 195-205 with 50 aspect (Falken Azena, RS-4s, Re-71). Diameter is around 23" compared to stock 25" and load rating is 85-87...

First thought is those will be too small diameter wise, but you'd pick up some pep. You can go wider due to tall sidewalls and you'll want some stiff sidewalls for the same reason. Azenis 615x are ok, dunlop z2, re71r, with the 71r wearing 2x faster than the other two. If you need to be 2% faster, get the 71r. If you want the tires to last twice as long, get the star specs or others. Hankook sidewall is reportedly softer. I'd think 215 or 225/50 or 55 are doable, especially if mostly just for auto-x. I started with 225/50 16 tires on my 6.5" wide stock wrx wheels in '02 :)

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
First thought is those will be too small diameter wise, but you'd pick up some pep. You can go wider due to tall sidewalls and you'll want some stiff sidewalls for the same reason. Azenis 615x are ok, dunlop z2, re71r, with the 71r wearing 2x faster than the other two. If you need to be 2% faster, get the 71r. If you want the tires to last twice as long, get the star specs or others. Hankook sidewall is reportedly softer. I'd think 215 or 225/50 or 55 are doable, especially if mostly just for auto-x. I started with 225/50 16 tires on my 6.5" wide stock wrx wheels in '02 :)
Thanks for your comments. I think I'm okay with the diameter unless the reduction reduces contact patch significantly. Would only drive to/ from /at event with them.

The width is another issue as 215s are pretty sparse for 15 wheels. If I were ready to do it today, might go 205/50r15 falken w 89 load rating. I have some time before current tires are done.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

rexneffect

Ready to race!
Wow you ain't kidding about the 15" tire choices. Your proposed size seems like it. Maybe keep an eye out for some takeoff 16" or 17" beater wheels with summer tires at the same time?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Yes I need to decide how important classing is to me. This car really can't win an scca class given it's in with gti and other faster cars. So maybe in the end I go with a wider wheel.

For stock class, 16x6 wheels might be logical but for wheels, that size is uncommon. Don't see an aftermarket choice and only a handful of oe choices available.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited: