GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best daily product for bugs/bird and other undesireables

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
What do you guys use as your daily clean up product?

I'm looking for something that will remove the bugs and bird crap but not the wax ideally. Is the best solution two products?

I have been using Meg's ultimate quick detailer and it's a good product but I don't think it has the power to remove the bugs and I don't want to press to hard and force them into the paint.

What are your recommendations? Thanks!

DanJoy

Ready to race!
I'm a huge of fan of the Ultima waterless wash concentrate. 1/2 oz of concentrate makes 22oz of quick detailer/waterless wash. I go through a spray bottle of it in a week sometimes. Saves a lot of money over buying quick detailer and I also use it as clay lube.

TroyScherer

Ready to race!

Ultima Water-less Wash is my go to general cleaner as it is safer than a QD an made for this type of cleaning.

PoorBoy's Bug Squash is another good product as it can be diluted down to be safer and less destructive to the wax protection while still cleaning well.

ironhead66

For a quick spot clean a shot of Griot's Garage Spray-On Car Wash, wait 15 seconds, then wipe off.

Second this (and Meguiar's Quik Detailer). Griot's or, surprisingly, Aero Cosmetics Wash/Wax All both do the trick and give your car a nice washe and waxed look even if you can't get it washed. Once a week, I do my Golf and my Jeep in about an hour - removes pretty much everything including winter road grim/salt etc. and bug splatters.

Works okay on rims too, but not great.

Last edited:

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I keep a bottle of Optimum Opti Clean in my car for touch up cleaning as I can use it on any surface interior or exterior. Ultima Detail Spray Plus and Ultima Waterless Wash+ are great alternatives that serve the same purpose. For removing bug guts I use Poorboys Bug Squash diluted 3:1 as it doesn't remove sealants and works fantastic.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
This time of year, daily clean-up is mute here.

Come spring though, I typically use ONR daily once the car is parked for the evening. My methods are usually don't give bugs a chance to stick. But, if they do, Stoner Tarminator. Softens tar and bugs up, grab a workhorse towel, then follow with the ONR. Usually bounce between 1:12 and 1:15 dilution in a 1/4 gallon pressure sprayer. A 32oz bottle of ONR is $15, makes like 12 gallons of waterless wash at a moderate dilution. It's a clay lube, a detailer, and a waterless wash. It doesn't leave anything behind, so if you wish to wash & wax, ONR wash and wax waterless is a choice, same price and dilutions.

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
I use UWW+ weekly, and keep a small bottle of it in my car for dust/bird droppings/bugs.

Another option, similar to Panzer, would be to keep a spray bottle and bucket of ONR mixed up at home and just do a Garry Dean method wash every day (or night). Of course, you'd have to have a lot of towels or do laundry often for that, but it would only take you 10-15 minutes since the car doesn't have time to get too dirty.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I use UWW+ weekly, and keep a small bottle of it in my car for dust/bird droppings/bugs.

Another option, similar to Panzer, would be to keep a spray bottle and bucket of ONR mixed up at home and just do a Garry Dean method wash every day (or night). Of course, you'd have to have a lot of towels or do laundry often for that, but it would only take you 10-15 minutes since the car doesn't have time to get too dirty.
So many towels.....lol

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Also, I did the math, I probably over use ONR, by a lot. Granted, I enjoy how the product acts when it's a heavy dilution. But for the ONR bucket method according to the bottle I would be able to make 160 gallons of waterless wash at 1:640 dilution lol. 1oz for five gallons. Now that is economical. The surfacants Optimum uses must be on point. I wonder if my 1:15 dilution in the sprayer yields any different results compared to the recommended dilution for a wash?

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
So many towels.....lol

I did say a lot of towels! :D

Probably, 6 for each wash or so. But you could go in on a bulk order from TRC with some friends and get them cheap!
18 towels + 3 drying towels seems like a good sweet spot, that means you can do 3 days of washing before laundry; Comes out to 2 loads of laundry a week.

Also, I did the math, I probably over use ONR, by a lot. Granted, I enjoy how the product acts when it's a heavy dilution. But for the ONR bucket method according to the bottle I would be able to make 160 gallons of waterless wash at 1:640 dilution lol. 1oz for five gallons. Now that is economical. The surfacants Optimum uses must be on point. I wonder if my 1:15 dilution in the sprayer yields any different results compared to the recommended dilution for a wash?

1:640 seems high, I haven't read a bottle of ONR in a long time but for rinseless I believe it is 1:256 and for a QD/Waterless 1:16. So a 32oz bottle will get you 64 gallons of rinseless or 4 gallons of QD/Waterless.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I did say a lot of towels! :D

Probably, 6 for each wash or so. But you could go in on a bulk order from TRC with some friends and get them cheap!
18 towels + 3 drying towels seems like a good sweet spot, that means you can do 3 days of washing before laundry; Comes out to 2 loads of laundry a week.

1:640 seems high, I haven't read a bottle of ONR in a long time but for rinseless I believe it is 1:256 and for a QD/Waterless 1:16. So a 32oz bottle will get you 64 gallons of rinseless or 4 gallons of QD/Waterless.
I would be down to go it on a big order of nice towels, gosh knows i'll use them. I have enough towels to go a few weeks, I do microfibers once a month in a HUGE front load washer.

I thought that seemed high too, I looked back and read the bottle again(after digging it out been using CarPro Eco2o lately as a comparison) and it is 1oz for 2 gallons of water, not five, my bad!!!! So that is 1:256. Certainly more realistic. Double that for clay lube.

Quick note on CarPro Eco2o, it seems just as versatile and ONR, but a tad more streaky. It may require lighter dilutions then ONR to account for the Si02 that is in it. I wouldn't use it as a clay lube though for that reason.

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
ECH2o is intriguing to me, the price is a bit high compared to Ultima and I mean CarPro themselves recommend Ultima as a good waterless overtop CQuartz so theres that also.

I am actually really considering buying a ton of microfibers and doing a daily ONR vs my weekly Ultima as a trial myself.