GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
Derushi

Drives: PP/LP 6MT
Drilling through pedals?

Has anyone here changed their pedals? I'm looking to install a set of aftermarket pedals and wanted to make sure that it's okay to drill through the pedal backing.

http://imgur.com/a/CBRju

There isn't really any room to drill and mount through the sides so I figured I'd just drill through the thick pedal backing if it wouldn't cause any issues.

(The brake and throttle pedal covers were a pain in the ass to remove lol)
Old 02-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
jmason

Drives: 2015 GTI S 4 Door 6MT Night Blue Metallic with LP
I removed the stock pedal covers and installed Awe Tuning covers. The only difficult pedal to drill thru is the brake pedal because it is metal; the others are plastic. I used a right-angle drill because I couldn't get a straight drill at 90 deg to the pedal. I also offset the gas pedal, moving it closer to the brake to facilitate heel-and-toe.
3M Crystalline 50% tint | P3 Cars VIDI Display | Bilstein PSS10 | Michelin PSS 235/40 | Cross-Drilled and Slotted rear Rotors | Short Shift Kit | Tyrolsport Deadset | BFI Catch Can | Neuspeed REs12 18 x 8 Bronze | Eurocode Adj F & R SBs | SuperPro End Links | BFI Weighted Shift Knob | Brembo 330mm BBK | Solid Shifter Bushings | SuperPro Alloy 0006K LCA | CSS Swivels | TT Front Bearings | Wavetrac LSD | RSR Clutch Kit
jmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
Lord_Flexington

Drives: '15 GTI LP PP|'01 CBR 929
I cant find new pedals anywhere. I hate the stock ones. So damn slippery all the time. I use grip tape on them right now

P1 GTI TCR-->http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25994
Lord_Flexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Derushi

Yep, agreed. The stock pedal covers are really slippery if your shoes are wet. The pedal placement also doesn't make it any easier to heel/toe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
I removed the stock pedal covers and installed Awe Tuning covers. The only difficult pedal to drill thru is the brake pedal because it is metal; the others are plastic. I used a right-angle drill because I couldn't get a straight drill at 90 deg to the pedal. I also offset the gas pedal, moving it closer to the brake to facilitate heel-and-toe.
Thanks for this! I'll try and drill through the pedal backing, they're quite thick but as you said, they are plastic. Hopefully my drill can punch through the metal brake pedal.

Do you have any pictures of what your pedals look like?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
jmason

Drives: 2015 GTI S 4 Door 6MT Night Blue Metallic with LP
[IMG][/IMG]

Ok, I'm embarrassed by the dirt! As I mentioned, I offset the gas pedal cover to move it closer to the brake pedal. You can see a bit of the OEM gas pedal sticking out beyond the Awe pedal cover on the bottom right corner.
3M Crystalline 50% tint | P3 Cars VIDI Display | Bilstein PSS10 | Michelin PSS 235/40 | Cross-Drilled and Slotted rear Rotors | Short Shift Kit | Tyrolsport Deadset | BFI Catch Can | Neuspeed REs12 18 x 8 Bronze | Eurocode Adj F & R SBs | SuperPro End Links | BFI Weighted Shift Knob | Brembo 330mm BBK | Solid Shifter Bushings | SuperPro Alloy 0006K LCA | CSS Swivels | TT Front Bearings | Wavetrac LSD | RSR Clutch Kit
jmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
Derushi

Looks good! I'll be installing my SRP set hopefully this weekend. Mine's super dirty as well lol.

Quote:
Ok, I'm embarrassed by the dirt! As I mentioned, I offset the gas pedal cover to move it closer to the brake pedal. You can see a bit of the OEM gas pedal sticking out beyond the Awe pedal cover on the bottom right corner.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
2015WhiteGTI

Drives: 2015 VW GTI
I drilled through my BMW pedals to install aftermarket covers and like others have said, the brake pedal is the hardest since it's metal and the others are plastic.

I marked the placement of the holds and then used a drift pin and hammer to put a mark in the pedal where I wanted to drill. This helped the drill bit from "walking" when I started drilling. I pushed the pedal down to the floor by wedging a 2x4 between it and the under side of the dash. It held in place nicely and game me enough room to put good pressure straight down on the drill. Once the drill took a bite, it went through with ease.
2015 GTI S, 6M, LP, Volk TE37SL 17x8.5, Michelin PSS 245/40, HPA SHS Coil-Overs, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE, Eurocode F/R Sway Bars, SuperPro Control Arms, Remus Catback, APR Stage 1 Tune, APR CAI, Aero Force Gauge Pod, APR Boost Gauge, Kersher Front Lip, Short Shifter, Tyrolsport Deadset, 034 Insert, A/S3 Aluminum Subframe, Stoptech BBK
2015WhiteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #8
Lord_Flexington

But where did you get them

Old 02-28-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
Mbarton36

Drives: 2017 GTI sport 6MT, 2014 Cherokee V6 Limited AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Flexington View Post
I cant find new pedals anywhere. I hate the stock ones. So damn slippery all the time. I use grip tape on them right now

Thought I was the only one with slippery pedals! I thought it was because of the monster mats (rubber) not absorbing any wetness from my shoes but if the pedals get water on them they are super slippery! Will look into AM pedal covers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mbarton36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
Derushi

Mine's from SRP Racing. I've gotten the throttle pedal installed and it's working great. There should be a picture in my build thread (I'll edit this later for the picture as I'm in mobile)

As for the brake/clutch, I'm working with SRP on a smaller set with optimal drill hole locations due to the OEM cover mounting holes. The one that was sent to me didn't fit well (it was a tad too big/long)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #11
Lord_Flexington

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

What did you use to drill through? none of my bits are making a dent in the brake pedal. The gas pedal I realized ery late that its ruber so the holes just went righ in but its not a snug fit.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #12
scrapin240

Drives: '16 Town & Country, '15 F30 335xi, '17 GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derushi View Post
Mine's from SRP Racing. I've gotten the throttle pedal installed and it's working great. There should be a picture in my build thread (I'll edit this later for the picture as I'm in mobile)

As for the brake/clutch, I'm working with SRP on a smaller set with optimal drill hole locations due to the OEM cover mounting holes. The one that was sent to me didn't fit well (it was a tad too big/long)
I just received my pedals from SRP and have not installed them yet, or even looked at my car since it's in a freezer right now. Do you remove the pedal covers first or attach over them?
scrapin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #13
Derushi

I removed the pedal covers, it was a pain in the ass to remove lol. Not sure if they changed the supplied screws/nuts/bolts but you might need longer ones for the throttle pedal due to the plastic backing. Had to stop by a hardware store to find ones that'll fit into the drilled pedal backing.

So far only the throttle pedal has been installed, I'm still waiting on the new versions for brake/clutch.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
Jay745

Drives: K04 mk6 gti, mk5 rabbit
Rennline has some nice pedals, you can get a spacer for the gas pedal to make it more even with the brake for better heel/toe

Hit me up for Vagcom or DSG Service in Chicago (Cheaper than dealer/indie)
Jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #15
Derushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay745 View Post
Rennline has some nice pedals, you can get a spacer for the gas pedal to make it more even with the brake for better heel/toe
I initially wanted that until I saw the price. $45 just for the 'extension', which only works if you have their $95 gas pedal already. You still have to drill through the pedal as well.

SRP you can custom order pedals and even their design if you let them know, and at a reasonable price.

Not trying to knock Rennline, it's a quality looking product. I just can't get over the cost.

:/
Old 03-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #16
Jay745

Drives: K04 mk6 gti, mk5 rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derushi View Post
I initially wanted that until I saw the price. $45 just for the 'extension', which only works if you have their $95 gas pedal already. You still have to drill through the pedal as well.

SRP you can custom order pedals and even their design if you let them know, and at a reasonable price.

Not trying to knock Rennline, it's a quality looking product. I just can't get over the cost.

:/
Fair enough. The quality really is top notch though. I don't regret doing it on my car.

Hit me up for Vagcom or DSG Service in Chicago (Cheaper than dealer/indie)
Jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:32 AM   #17
euroadb

Drives: 2016 GTI SE w/ PP LP 6MT Pure White
Bumping this thread out of frustration for my stock pedals. Is there a good custom pedal setup for the mk7 yet? SRP doesn't seem to have anything. Any way to lower the brake pedal to the gas pedal height, instead of raising the gas pedal to the brake pedal's height?
euroadb is offline   Reply With Quote