GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

An acceptable amount of vibration?

BaronGTI68

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm at about 4K miles on the GTI, so far mostly positive. Recently I started to feel more vibration in the steering wheel and pedals. This is RPM-specific which makes me think of mounts.

I'm a VW virgin and I read a thread (that I now can't locate) that mentioned VW engine mounts having been historically problematic/soft. I'm aware of the irony of replacing the mounts with poly which will increase NVH but if I'm going to deal with vibration anyway I'd rather head this route. One thing I don't notice is any sort of engine rocking sensation on or off throttle, though I do drive like a grandma.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Not problematic unless they are abused, mine is over 3 years old and mine is as smooth as when I got it. If yours is vibrating I would be taking it to the dealer as there is a problem.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Very rare to have this issue on a completely stock car. Vibration felt in the pedals is usually due to the downpipe touching something it shouldn't.

The stock mounts don't vibrate with wear...they become like wet noodles and can't keep the engine from rocking excessively causing wheel hop and less consistency in your shifts

I'd take it to the dealership. Maybe ask them to turn off the soundekor, or unplug/disabled it yourself. All it does is make annoying vibrations and noise

alderran1

Ready to race!
Maybe it’s just wheel balancing that you need but take it in a new car shouldn’t vibrate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
The stock mounts don't vibrate with wear...they become like wet noodles and can't keep the engine from rocking excessively causing wheel hop and less consistency in your shifts

The rubber portion of motor mounts is to prevent vibrations. As the rubber ages or gets torn, it starts letting more and more vibrations be felt. Motor mount vibration is different from transmission mount vibration as you will feel it at different times and under different conditions. This is why you feel more vibrations if you upgrade to a stiffer rubber mounts or solid mounts. This applied to all motor mounts including electromagnetically dampened ones (as long as they have rubber anyway). Rubber wears and increases vibration.

You give a lot of good advice from what I've seen, so I just figured I would correct you here.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I agree in extreme cases, I've personally seen them that worn on a mk4 Tdi with 150,000 miles or so. The vibration was horrible, especially in reverse and first gear. Swapped in new mounts and solved the problem

He could very well have gotta a bad mount from the factory. Hopefully the dealership doesn't just hit him with the "oh that's normal"

BaronGTI68

Passed Driver's Ed
Soundaktor was not only disconnected but removed awhile back. Good to know there aren't any inherent design/quality issues.
I had an experience with a Mazda 5 once (don't ask) that had a mount issue and, visibly, there was no damage but eventually drove me crazy.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I agree in extreme cases, I've personally seen them that worn on a mk4 Tdi with 150,000 miles or so. The vibration was horrible, especially in reverse and first gear. Swapped in new mounts and solved the problem

He could very well have gotta a bad mount from the factory. Hopefully the dealership doesn't just hit him with the "oh that's normal"

Just realized it was 4k and not the 40k I read, yeah unless its a failed mount the vibration shouldn't be from the mounts. I know I have more vibration at cold start then any other time. I'm not sure why but it does seem like these cars transfer more road vibration to the pedal assembly then others.