GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Error cornering lights

alan h

Ready to race!
Afternoon All,

Before i go and buy some bulbs the car is saying error cornering lights afl ( i think) thought it may require a bulb change but on looking neither side works and thought both blowing at the same time may mean an actual problem with the light and not bulbs?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Afternoon All,

Before i go and buy some bulbs the car is saying error cornering lights afl ( i think) thought it may require a bulb change but on looking neither side works and thought both blowing at the same time may mean an actual problem with the light and not bulbs?

How are you testing to see if they come on?

Have you done any coding to the front lights?

alan h

Ready to race!
Hi driving in the dark and turning around corners you can normally notice them come on each time, plus facing the garage at night and putting car on full lock both ways.

No acceess to coding, its a lease car so any problems i can throw it back at them but if its bulbs id rather just change them then mess around dropping the car off etc.........

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Make sure light switch is set for auto, try facing garage at night and putting car in reverse. Both cornering lights should come on when in reverse.

I'd take it in to the dealership if I were you. Especially if a leased car still under warranty. Those bulbs are so rarely used, I can't see how both could have blown. I wouldn't waste your time/money on it, at this point.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
We had quite a bit of rain over the weekend and "Adaptive cornering lights" error popped up on saturday. Today i am seeing "Check daytime running light" error. Also i can see some moisture build up inside headlight assembly. Has anyone seen this before, there is not much info in the forum.

Scheduled an appointment with the dealer today evening.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Make sure light switch is set for auto, try facing garage at night and putting car in reverse. Both cornering lights should come on when in reverse.

I'd take it in to the dealership if I were you. Especially if a leased car still under warranty. Those bulbs are so rarely used, I can't see how both could have blown. I wouldn't waste your time/money on it, at this point.

Why are they so rarely used? Everytime I put my blinker on or turn a corner they come on (at night). Unless you drive in a straight line, always, these lights get a work out. Or perhaps one only drives during the day. Daylight savings just kicked in so they get a workout every day when I leave work.

That said, it would be odd for them to blow this early in their life. Maybe check fuses?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I could see how you say they never get used though.
Unless I'm wrong, as long as you have fog lights on, the cornering lights will not illuminate.
Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they will not turn on while turning or in reverse if the fog lights are on.
This is in a North American car obviously.

And as far as moisture/condensation in the headlights this can happen. And is nothing to worry about...unless it does not go away. But it should.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Cornering lights and fog lights serve 2 different purposes. My Sport doesn't have fogs so I can't say, but it seems to me it would be silly to make the cornering lights inoperative when fogs were on. I have fogs on my MK5 and they in no way shine like the cornering lights do. In fact I'd rather have cornering lights than fogs if it was one or the other.

If this is true, then that's a huge blunder by VW.

Cornering lights come on when you are going 20 mph or less A) when you turn the steering wheel B) and/or when you put your blinker on C) when you put the transmission in reverse

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
And as far as moisture/condensation in the headlights this can happen. And is nothing to worry about...unless it does not go away. But it should.

I would not worry much if the condensation is even on both sides and there is no error codes showing up. But the error code is asking me to check me to check right daytime running / adaptive lights and the moisture is only inside the right headlight assembly.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Cornering lights and fog lights serve 2 different purposes. My Sport doesn't have fogs so I can't say, but it seems to me it would be silly to make the cornering lights inoperative when fogs were on. I have fogs on my MK5 and they in no way shine like the cornering lights do. In fact I'd rather have cornering lights than fogs if it was one or the other.

If this is true, then that's a huge blunder by VW.

Cornering lights come on when you are going 20 mph or less A) when you turn the steering wheel B) and/or when you put your blinker on C) when you put the transmission in reverse

It is true and it is not a blunder by VW. Rather, it is because of archaic DOT laws in USA. All NAR (North American Region) VWs have a 4 light restriction facing the front. So if you own a Mk7 in North America and you have foglights on with low beams, the cornering lights will be disabled.

Same reason we didn't get the pre-facelift LED tails in NAR - stupid obsolete laws from the days of horse & buggy with lanterns.

This can of course be rectified with VCDS or OBD11 coding (cornering lights, not the LED tails). I just finally got around to doing it a few weeks ago and love it (no thanks to the Yanks :p).

Last edited:

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
It is true and it is not a blunder by VW. Rather, it is because of archaic DOT laws in USA. All NAR (North American Region) VWs have a 4 light restriction facing the front. So if you own a Mk7 in North America and you have foglights on with low beams, the cornering lights will be disabled.

Same reason we didn't get the pre-facelift LED tails in NAR - stupid obsolete laws from the days of horse & buggy with lanterns.

This can of course be rectified with VCDS or OBD11 coding (cornering lights, not the LED tails). I just finally got around to doing it a few weeks ago and love it (no thanks to the Yanks :p).

But the cornering lights don't even point forward :p.

We have some really silly archaic laws here. I would much rather have the cornering lights than fogs, but I assumed with VCDS/OBD11 this could be altered.

Thanks for the clarification on that issue. I guess it does no good to think logically when old, silly laws still apply.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
And I didn't even know the 2017's had no fog lights!
Interesting...
Just the 2017 Sport trim

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I would not worry much if the condensation is even on both sides and there is no error codes showing up. But the error code is asking me to check me to check right daytime running / adaptive lights and the moisture is only inside the right headlight assembly.

Exactly. Weeks thrown. Something must have leaked. Because ya, we got just a little bit of rain here this past weekend. Just a bit. Lol