GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 11-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #953
Gogo GTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Oh yeah, forgot to add. The dreaded windshield condensation is also back with the cooler weather.
Attached Images

Gogo GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #954
Wrath And Tears

Drives: 17 CSGM GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogo GTI View Post
Rainy season is here. That means waterfalls of water pouring into my car when I open the door. It's a really poor roof design for diverting water.
I do not have that issue. A few drops when I open the door sure, but not a waterfall. Maybe you need to apply more wax to the car so the water runs off instead of pooling up? We just got 3+ inches of rain in the last 24... I think... possible I read the newspaper wrong or am mis-remembering, but it was a lot of rain over a short period of time. Flash flood warnings and all.

Edit: I see you are in Oakland, and I am in Marin, so very strange.

2nd Edit: The roads here in Marin are usually sloped, so when I'm parked on the side of the road the water runs to the passenger side. I've spent a lot of time in Berkeley on Alcatraz, but my Oakland time was in the Highland Hills... I think that is what the area is called, it's near Highland Hospital where my friend works anyway (number one gun shot wound trauma hospital in CA, whut! whut!). When my friend was renting a house on Harmony (the street north of Alcatraz, during the gang days before gentrification hit the area, we were playing Warhammer 40k and all of a sudden some holes opened up in the walls followed by the report of gun fire. We just kind of stood around being like.... um so yeah what just happened? I was a visitor, but my friends who lived in the area were friendly with the major gang heads. After the main gang leader ( I honestly don't know the names of the gangs or anything like that) got arrested, stuff started to settle down and gentrification started to happen in force. Neighborhoods which had been run down houses full of drug dealers and stuff like that totally transformed over a few months. It was pretty crazy.

Last edited by Wrath And Tears; 11-18-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Wrath And Tears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #955
toledospeed

Drives: 2015 Golf Sport
Quote:
Rainy season is here. That means waterfalls of water pouring into my car when I open the door. It's a really poor roof design for diverting water.
Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot to add. The dreaded windshield condensation is also back with the cooler weather.
Weird, have not seen that issue. If the condensation is on the inside of the window, it is related to the waterfalls of water pouring into your car, i.e. high humidity condensing on the cold window. Make sure you keep recirculate air off to help dry it out, and with it off, run your heater on full blast for about 20 minutes to dry it out.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #956
imthanick_a

Drives: 2016 MK7 GTI SE w/ PP, DCC, and Lighting
Quote:
A lot of condensation on the window interior is related to products you use to clean your interior. Armor all or anything silicon/oil based will evaporate from your dash and leave residue on the inside of the glass which gives water vapor a place to condense. Switching away from these products will help a lot, albeit it won't fix the problem completely

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #957
chiefhiawatha

Drives: 2017 GTI manual
Wasnít there a definitive thread about this? Iíll try to dig it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
chiefhiawatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #958
KlipZ

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn w/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath And Tears View Post
When I have the blower motor going and ac or heat, my.... fuck I can't remember, one of the car screens on my MIB2 shows me that it uses almost 1 gallon of fuel per hour at idle. A/C uses more fuel then heat does. The reason being that when the drive belt has extra force applied by the A/C comp engaging, idle RPM will drop due to increase load, so the ECU increases idle, thus increasing fuel consumption.
Yep. Convenience Consumers. Also, flip on your fog lights or heated seats. Makes me never use any of these things.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #959
chiefhiawatha

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthanick_a View Post
A lot of condensation on the window interior is related to products you use to clean your interior. Armor all or anything silicon/oil based will evaporate from your dash and leave residue on the inside of the glass which gives water vapor a place to condense. Switching away from these products will help a lot, albeit it won't fix the problem completely

How about this Small condensation spot every time it rains
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t

Old 11-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #960
imthanick_a

Drives: 2016 MK7 GTI SE w/ PP, DCC, and Lighting
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefhiawatha View Post
How about this Small condensation spot every time it rains
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t

Not sure about that one. I remember seeing that thread though.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:09 AM   #961
Joel

Drives: 2017 GTI 6MT
Quote:
After reading something about it, I threw a sock filled with cat litter under my passenger seat. It has helped a good bit with this.
Most of the condensation has been on the outside since.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:26 AM   #962
Hambert

Drives: Audi A4 1.8 TFSI B8.5 2012
Quote:
Turn the AC on to dehumidify the air dude, even in wintertime.
Hambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:28 AM   #963
ATR

Drives: Pure White 2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambert View Post
Truer words have never been spoken

There's a reason that the car automatically turns the AC on when you move the hivac to the defrost position.
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #964
Gogo GTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath And Tears View Post
I do not have that issue. A few drops when I open the door sure, but not a waterfall. Maybe you need to apply more wax to the car so the water runs off instead of pooling up?
I live in a hilly area so that's when it usually happens. Although, I've never experienced this problem with the 4 other cars we've owned. The water just rides right over the channel on the roof that's supposed to divert water. I just applied fresh sealant and the surface very slick. I'm thinking the key now is rock the car to get the water to sheet off before I get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambert View Post
Yep I use the AC every time. Otherwise, the defroster doesn't do anything for me. I read elsewhere to leave the recircualtion off after parking. I'll give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthanick_a View Post
Thanks for the tip. Although I use Meguiars and 303 which dont contain silicone, so I don't think that's the cause in my case.

The condensation only happens sporadically. It's hard to pin point the conditions, weather or otherwise that triggers it.
Gogo GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM   #965
Strange Mud

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
VW Car Net....I got it for the free 6 months. It is kind of worth free but it keeps telling me my doors are un-locked or I only have <100 range. Good idea for technology but VW just doesn't have it down yet. Does anyone pay for it or do you all drop it after the free period? Even if it was flawless I would/will drop it.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #966
BaronGTI68

Drives: 2017 GTI SE
I'm still finding the clutch take-up to be problematic- and inconsistent. Another member here mentioned driving manual transmissions for 30+ years and never having this degree of difficulty before and I'm in agreement. The friction point is not distinct and I'd swear I was driving a car with 100K on the original clutch in terms of "bite". Hoping this is a charateristic and that I don't have a faulty clutch with only 4K miles on it.
BaronGTI68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM   #967
chiefhiawatha

Do the clutch bypass valve mod. I bought the ECS replacement and itís a whole lot better. Tons

Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #968
takemorepills

Drives: 2016 GTI SE DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
VW Car Net....I got it for the free 6 months. It is kind of worth free but it keeps telling me my doors are un-locked or I only have <100 range. Good idea for technology but VW just doesn't have it down yet. Does anyone pay for it or do you all drop it after the free period? Even if it was flawless I would/will drop it.
I dropped it after the trial period. It was cool, and worked fine 95+% of the time for me. Confirming doors are locked and having a parking locater was cool. The door lock thing was most useful to me. Fuel range useless as I keep a good eye on that in all of my vehicles, but I tend to "forget" if I locked my car.
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote