GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time to the drag strip with the R

RoyB2

Ready to race!
**Update on post #22. 12.1 still spinning.

Been trying to get there and I finally had a free weekend and they were open. Temp was 30 degrees when I first got there and they had to thaw the track for 2 hours.

DA was -1200 with a steady head wind. Car is a 2015 DSG Stage 2. Factory showroom weight (with exception of the wheels).

I am on summer tires and figured with the prep they were doing, I would have no issues with traction. Boy was I wrong. First time with an AWD car at the strip so I never took into account that I couldn't heat the tires up....which obviously I knew, but it never dawned on me that I would have 4 hockey pucks in the cold weather, despite how warm the track might be.

Needless to say, my 60's were 2.0 on average, which included spinning and sliding sideways at the launch. I managed one 1.8 miraculously, even though it still spun. I tried launching anywhere from 2-4K rpms. Wheel hop ensued on 4K launches. After the spin, it would sit on the rev limiter or shift early into second and back down to first.

I got about 10 runs in and called it a day. Talked to a few guys and they all said they weren't far off their normal times. RWD cars had no trouble hitting 1.7s after heating the tires up. I went out expecting 11.9s or better, and could only muster a 12.38 @ 113 on a 2.0. My two best runs of the day. The MPH says it should be in the 11s, but my 60's wouldn't allow it. On the street, on warm days, she hooks and goes.

Not sure the plans for the car. Heavily looking at RS3 for a change up and selling the R. They trap 113 stock, so not far off where I am currently.

The R has more in it, just not yesterday. Oddly enough, my fastest run of the day was manually working it to try and keep the shifting right. I shifted at 6K vs the 6500 it's set to normally. Seemed to like shifting earlier vs running it out.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So why didn't you heat up the tires for the second run? And many summer tires get hard at low temperatures and will never give you good times.

The RS3 is nice if you don't need to carry much and want to put up about $45K.

What's a negative 1200 DA?

Last edited:

RoyB2

Ready to race!
Best I could do was a little launch to clean the tires off. Made no difference. No burnout, no heat. Maybe I could had brought a heat gun.

allang06

Passed Driver's Ed
Been trying to get there and I finally had a free weekend and they were open. Temp was 30 degrees when I first got there and they had to thaw the track for 2 hours.

DA was -1200 with a steady head wind. Car is a 2015 DSG Stage 2. Factory showroom weight (with exception of the wheels).

I am on summer tires and figured with the prep they were doing, I would have no issues with traction. Boy was I wrong. First time with an AWD car at the strip so I never took into account that I couldn't heat the tires up....which obviously I knew, but it never dawned on me that I would have 4 hockey pucks in the cold weather, despite how warm the track might be.

Needless to say, my 60's were 2.0 on average, which included spinning and sliding sideways at the launch. I managed one 1.8 miraculously, even though it still spun. I tried launching anywhere from 2-4K rpms. Wheel hop ensued on 4K launches. After the spin, it would sit on the rev limiter or shift early into second and back down to first.

I got about 10 runs in and called it a day. Talked to a few guys and they all said they weren't far off their normal times. RWD cars had no trouble hitting 1.7s after heating the tires up. I went out expecting 11.9s or better, and could only muster a 12.38 @ 113 on a 2.0. My two best runs of the day. The MPH says it should be in the 11s, but my 60's wouldn't allow it. On the street, on warm days, she hooks and goes.

Not sure the plans for the car. Heavily looking at RS3 for a change up and selling the R. They trap 113 stock, so not far off where I am currently.

The R has more in it, just not yesterday. Oddly enough, my fastest run of the day was manually working it to try and keep the shifting right. I shifted at 6K vs the 6500 it's set to normally. Seemed to like shifting earlier vs running it out.

Hey man, I was talking to Mike about your slips. You sure nothing is wrong with that UM tune? 1/8, 1/4, and trap are all slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyB2

Ready to race!
Hey man, I was talking to Mike about your slips. You sure nothing is wrong with that UM tune? 1/8, 1/4, and trap are all slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite the opposite imo. 112-113mph is indication that the car makes power. They trap 104 stock. All the R records in the high 11s trap 112-114 with 1.7 60's. If I had a clean launch and dropped .30 off my 60', the car, by basic math, should be in the 11s.

The problem was traction. With bad traction the car shifts what it think's it should, which is all over the place. Riding the limiter out of the hole isn't going to produce great 60's or 1/8. Look at the 1/8-1/4 time. That is indication of what's going on if you can't get out of the hole clean.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Quite the opposite imo. 112-113mph is indication that the car makes power. They trap 104 stock. All the R records in the high 11s trap 112-114 with 1.7 60's. If I had a clean launch and dropped .30 off my 60', the car, by basic math, should be in the 11s.
Each .1 shaved off the 60' can take .1 to .15 off your E.T.
So why didn't you heat up the tires for the second run? And many summer tires get hard at low temperatures and will never give you good times.

What's a negative 1200 DA?
At the drag strip, how do you heat up the tires on an AWD car? Even my buddy's 10 second S6 can't spin the tires in the burnout area, it just lunges forward.

-1200 DA is a Density Altitude of -1200 feet. For more on DA: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...ude-exlpained-and-drag-racing-calculator.html

OP, a JB4 can be set to limit boost in 1st and 2nd gears...just something to consider.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Quoted tuner times are usually done by experienced drivers that probably run 100 passes to get their best time. You might be able to shave a tenth or two off if the weather was a little warmer. When I go to the track I am usually next to a car running straight headers. Very distracting when you cannot hear your cars engine.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
With colder ambient air temps at this time of year you should be happy!

Attempting to warm street tires on an AWD won't work so well.

Wait for summer and do it again!

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
With colder ambient air temps at this time of year you should be happy!

Attempting to warm street tires on an AWD won't work so well.

Wait for summer and do it again!
Hot lapping will help keep a little heat in the tires. Around here, that's only possible during a rental or if you're about to win your bracket.

Otherwise, try getting to the line as soon as you pull in from the street.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
I was hot lapping, made no difference. There were only 15 people at the track Sunday lol. I may keep it and run it in spring. Meanwhile, the search is on for it's replacement. RS3? M3?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Worth inspecting your tires. Running summer rubber hard at below freezing (and below the glass transition temp of the rubber) can crack, chip, or cause other serious tire damage. I'm surprised you got even a 2.0 60 with summer rubber. I bet all seasons would actually be significantly faster