GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox VW sound upgrade HELP!

Hotfart

Ready to race!
The balance slider works correctly.

You're right though about how the jumper should be used. I just checked the manual out and confirmed your findings.

It's odd since I know that the front Soundstage sounds like it's right in front of me vs off to the middle of the car... I'll have to play around with it to see if taking it out makes it any better or worse.

Hopefully something didn't get reversed during installation (if that's even possible?). But in any case, yeah, play around with it then go with whatever you think sounds best!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Now VW released rev B on the soundbox and it does not have the reduced price. Its ~$700. For that amount of money, you might be able to get a better setup. Like a fully customizable DSP. Still, not bad for a "plug and play" system.

I was surprised when I asked the parts guy at the dealership about the Soundbox, having already seen the going rate of $200-$300. What could they have possibly done to the "B" version to justify the price increase?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I was surprised when I asked the parts guy at the dealership about the Soundbox, having already seen the going rate of $200-$300. What could they have possibly done to the "B" version to justify the price increase?

If you're looking for one, but I don't know how much of a rush you're in, I'll have mine for sale eventually & I'm local (in Livonia)

We're gonna need a bigger car/SUV soon and one of the Passats has to go

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt

700 was the original price. 200-300 was just a limited time sale they seemed to be having. Pretty positive there is no real difference with the B version with the exception of maybe more/less dongles included for compatibility with various head units.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
700 was the original price. 200-300 was just a limited time sale they seemed to be having. Pretty positive there is no real difference with the B version with the exception of maybe more/less dongles included for compatibility with various head units.

Cross posting this from the Helix "info" thread, I tried to get to the bottom of this.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34362

I'm confident at this point that the B part number is a revision and will eventually be the only part available. At this point the only users to have the B revision are in Europe or who sourced the kit from Europe, and the kit and harness/amp part numbers are definitely different. Two users did confirm the harnesses were "identical" between the two kits:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...d-Golf-R/page6

I have a little knowledge of manufacturing, my theory is that Helix produced a large amount of non-B part number kits YEARs ago at the request of VW, or that they have had multiple production runs over the years.

The B part number then exists because of some changes in internal components or how the parts are manufactured at Helix which required new component part numbers. The only way to track those kits for warranty, sales, etc. is by changing the kit part number.

Long story short, VWoA is clearancing the non-B part number which is why the MSRP dropped significantly about a year ago. Once that part number is gone, the "B" part will be available, but the cost will go back up. It's very likely that there are very few changes or "improvements" with the new part number from what I've seen. If anything, internal components of the DSP only.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
If you're looking for one, but I don't know how much of a rush you're in, I'll have mine for sale eventually & I'm local (in Livonia)

I'm not in a big hurry; I was thinking about doing it as a winter project since there's no point in getting the car reflashed when I can't enjoy it. Keep me in mind if/when you sell it.

Long story short, VWoA is clearancing the non-B part number which is why the MSRP dropped significantly about a year ago. Once that part number is gone, the "B" part will be available, but the cost will go back up. It's very likely that there are very few changes or "improvements" with the new part number from what I've seen. If anything, internal components of the DSP only.

After reading about the "B" last night, I searched for the old part number, and, well, it's gone, or at least the clearance pricing is. I'm sure that if there are any left (which is doubtful, since I don't get the impression that many dealers stocked it), they'll add a couple hundred back to the price, as it will still be a deal compared to the new one at $700 MSRP.

alynch30

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m a bit disappointed with the Helix in my 7.5

Before I installed the Helix I was able to crank the volume pretty high without distortion...

Now with the helix the bass is fine but the mids/high are crap at higher volume.

I tried pretty much everything from flat’nd EQ, lower volume screw, programmed with dongle..

It seem like the speaker are amped now and did not need too.

I’m considering uninstalling and refund it.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Hopefully something didn't get reversed during installation (if that's even possible?). But in any case, yeah, play around with it then go with whatever you think sounds best!

I'd like to revise my earlier post...
it does indeed sound better with the jumper plug removed.

In place it sounded a bit "off", if perhaps it was phase or time delay differences.

I'd love to get a dongle to play with the Helix's time correction with the software mentioned earlier in the thread to get things dialed in with a audiophile's ear in mind.

Koti

Hello.

I buy Helix subwoofer plug and play from second hand...Now I don't have harness....where can I get the harness?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I don't think I've seen the harnesses for this kit sold separately to be honest. Unless someone on here has access to a parts lookup to see if the kit part number has a component breakdown, you should check with a VW dealer to see.

dbwat

Regarding the jumper, I'd like to thank the posters here for the info to remove the jumper for LHD.

My installer kept it plugged in, and I didn't notice it. Something hasn't sounded right about my Helix given the praise I'd heard on the forum. It was better than stock, and was clearly delivering bass, but not the big soundstage update I was expecting.

I came here yesterday to look for any magic eq settings or other forum feedback, and I saw the jumper feedback here. I pulled my jumper out yesterday, and what a difference! The world is right. Thanks guys.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Regarding the jumper, I'd like to thank the posters here for the info to remove the jumper for LHD.

My installer kept it plugged in, and I didn't notice it. Something hasn't sounded right about my Helix given the praise I'd heard on the forum. It was better than stock, and was clearly delivering bass, but not the big soundstage update I was expecting.

I came here yesterday to look for any magic eq settings or other forum feedback, and I saw the jumper feedback here. I pulled my jumper out yesterday, and what a difference! The world is right. Thanks guys.

That's great news! Glad you got it sorted.

For reference, that jumper is not pre-installed (or at least hasn't been on any unboxing I've seen, my own included). It's separate with the other loose parts, so in your case the installer just plugged everything he could in to the unit. The instructions state to only to use this plug on RHD cars.

jwsweet59

I have a new GTI and want to install the helix. Will I be able to get the dongle for the thing.
My dealer doesn't have a clue about it. Part's guy did not know the helix existed even though there was one on the shelf.
Shure I can find a dealer who has it but they would probably charge me an hour min. Rate.
I'm new to the site and have no idea what I'm doing. Need help.
Thanks...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I have a new GTI and want to install the helix. Will I be able to get the dongle for the thing.
My dealer doesn't have a clue about it. Part's guy did not know the helix existed even though there was one on the shelf.
Shure I can find a dealer who has it but they would probably charge me an hour min. Rate.
I'm new to the site and have no idea what I'm doing. Need help.
Thanks...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=34362&share_fid=112413&share_type=t

[emoji41]

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk