GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Android Head Unit - PX5 MTCD unit

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
Also, update on the MODE button...

The CANBUS module manufacturer is now getting involved. I've just sent them the requested information (Version #, firmware #, etc...). We'll see what they say.

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
Another update. CarNet has stopped working entirely. You may be able to splice in the original glove box unit to restore functionality.

Luckily I was able to get a refund for the unused part of my subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jaxwithanx

My pleasure. People should know what they are getting into when you get one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still into it. Probably going to make the leap with this unit. I think I'll miss the volume knob too and saw a couple nice 8in models with more hardware buttons but as long as the steering wheel control still works I should be ok. I use my Bluetooth phone often though.

I saw your comments on issues with Bluetooth audio, do you find the Bluetooth audio quality to be poor enough that this would be a bad idea even for phone calls?

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
Still into it. Probably going to make the leap with this unit. I think I'll miss the volume knob too and saw a couple nice 8in models with more hardware buttons but as long as the steering wheel control still works I should be ok. I use my Bluetooth phone often though.

I saw your comments on issues with Bluetooth audio, do you find the Bluetooth audio quality to be poor enough that this would be a bad idea even for phone calls?

I still love it! Steering wheel controls work perfectly and I've gotten used to not having the volume knob, just took time.

By Bluetooth audio, I meant music. Phone calls are fine, no issue there with audio.

hal

Ready to race!
What about the MODE button? I'm considering upgrading to the new ones mainly because the old quad-core one I have is slow especially with Google Maps and doesn't natively support USB audio.

Would love to just ditch the oem head unit as well while doing the upgrade.

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
What about the MODE button? I'm considering upgrading to the new ones mainly because the old quad-core one I have is slow especially with Google Maps and doesn't natively support USB audio.

Would love to just ditch the oem head unit as well while doing the upgrade.

No luck on the Mode button unfortunately. I have a shortcut on the home screen that brings up the screen but I hardly use it.

ameel

I have some questions, does the following work:
Oem badge reverse camera
Oem car microphone

If not, are there adapters that can help fix this?

What's this "mode" thing about?

hal

Ready to race!
The oem camera works. The oem microphone doesn't, but it comes with it's own external microphone that you have to find a place to mount at. The oem mic is better (much better) but if you mount the external mic somewhere close it will be OK. I mount it at the top of the driver-side A-pillar near the windshield pointing at the driver. Discreet enough and the other side of the conversation never complains about audio quality or noise.

The mode button (driver profile / dcc) will not work, you change the mode by going through some menus in a "car settings" app.

ameel

The oem camera works. The oem microphone doesn't, but it comes with it's own external microphone that you have to find a place to mount at. The oem mic is better (much better) but if you mount the external mic somewhere close it will be OK. I mount it at the top of the driver-side A-pillar near the windshield pointing at the driver. Discreet enough and the other side of the conversation never complains about audio quality or noise.

The mode button (driver profile / dcc) will not work, you change the mode by going through some menus in a "car settings" app.

Is there an obvious reason why car OEM microphone doesn't work? It sounds so silly ...

hal

Ready to race!
Is there an obvious reason why car OEM microphone doesn't work? It sounds so silly ...

The wires are not connected. They connect to the OEM HU in the glove box which you remove. But because of how "universal" those android units are they already come with a microphone and a microphone jack so the last thing they wanted to do is also figure out how to connect an OEM microphone and disable the one they already have. What if your car didn't have bluetooth to start with?

I'm guessing you can probably splice into the OEM mic and make it work but you will either have to splice the original wires or into an extension that you need to purchase because the harness they provide doesn't have all pins connected.

Any idea the voltage on the rca outs?

Mine had very low pre outs (like less than 1v at max volume). Was disappointing because it's either too low or too noisy. This is why I added a USB->Optical sound card but then I have a DSP that has optical-in. You could get a line driver to make it better.

Perhaps the headunits have better amps.