GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 R side skirts a disappointment.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Who else thinks the side skirts on the 2018 R look like nothing more then gloss black painted GTI side skirts? So much so that on closer inspection they look like one might be able to use OEM mud flaps.

I'll be picking up my R at the end of the month and my name is on an Oryx White but I find the black lower trim to look wrong. Especially the side skirts!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Who else thinks the side skirts on the 2018 R look like nothing more then gloss black painted GTI side skirts? So much so that on closer inspection they look like one might be able to use OEM mud flaps.

I'll be picking up my R at the end of the month and my name is on an Oryx White but I find the black lower trim to look wrong. Especially the side skirts!

Never looked that close. I don't care for the body colored skirts on mine. I liked the MKV's.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
You could always install MK7 side skirts...

But the gloss black side skirt profile of the 2018 R now continues and ‘flows’ through to the lower edge of the front and rear bumpers, so removing the gloss black side skirts and fitting the mk7 side skirts would look odd as it would disrupt the flow of the profile around the lower edge of the car and you’d have a mix of gloss black and body coloured trim on the side skirts and lower bumpers.

OEM mud flaps from the GTI might fit on the front, but not the rear, as the facelift (mk7.5) GTI has a different profile to the lower edge of the rear bumper compared to the mk7 GTI, and in the UK there are no OEM rear mud flaps available (yet) for the mk7.5 GTI. If you wanted to fit them to your R, you’d need to modify the current GTI rear mud flaps.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
But the gloss black side skirt profile of the 2018 R now continues and ‘flows’ through to the lower edge of the front and rear bumpers, so removing the gloss black side skirts and fitting the mk7 side skirts would look odd as it would disrupt the flow of the profile around the lower edge of the car and you’d have a mix of gloss black and body coloured trim on the side skirts and lower bumpers.

OEM mud flaps from the GTI might fit on the front, but not the rear, as the facelift (mk7.5) GTI has a different profile to the lower edge of the rear bumper compared to the mk7 GTI, and in the UK there are no OEM rear mud flaps available (yet) for the mk7.5 GTI. If you wanted to fit them to your R, you’d need to modify the current GTI rear mud flaps.

The MK7 also has black diffusers in the rear with white side skirts and it looks fine. Although the front is all white. I like the look of the black skirts on the Lapiz blue but not a fan of Lapiz Blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The MK7 also has black diffusers in the rear with white side skirts and it looks fine. Although the front is all white. I like the look of the black skirts on the Lapiz blue but not a fan of Lapiz Blue.

I’m aware it does. The difference with the mk7.5 2018 model is that the black trim, which is the same profile as the black side skirts, extends all the way round to the edge of the rear wheel arch. It is like a continuous black skirt all the way around the bottom of the car, so the gloss black side skirts match the lower side gloss black trim section of the bumper behind the rear wheels. You can see it in the pictures at the bottom of this article;

http://performancedrive.com.au/2017-volkswagen-golf-r-mk7-5-sale-australia-august-2412/

On the mk7, the lower side section of the bumper behind the rear wheels is body coloured and slightly flared outwards to match the profile of the body coloured sills. You can see it in the pictures at the link below;

http://performancedrive.com.au/2014-volkswagen-golf-r-mk7-review-video-0411/

IMO a mix of mk7 side skirts and mk7.5 bumpers wouldn’t look good, especially on the OP’s white car. Just my opinion though!

vwauug

Ready to race!
Gotta say, I’m a bigger fan of the 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I’m aware it does. The difference with the mk7.5 2018 model is that the black trim, which is the same profile as the black side skirts, extends all the way round to the edge of the rear wheel arch. It is like a continuous black skirt all the way around the bottom of the car, so the gloss black side skirts match the lower side gloss black trim section of the bumper behind the rear wheels. You can see it in the pictures at the bottom of this article;

http://performancedrive.com.au/2017-volkswagen-golf-r-mk7-5-sale-australia-august-2412/

On the mk7, the lower side section of the bumper behind the rear wheels is body coloured and slightly flared outwards to match the profile of the body coloured sills. You can see it in the pictures at the link below;

http://performancedrive.com.au/2014-volkswagen-golf-r-mk7-review-video-0411/

IMO a mix of mk7 side skirts and mk7.5 bumpers wouldn’t look good, especially on the OP’s white car. Just my opinion though!

Thanks for all of that. [emoji106]

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I suppose one could have the skirts painted the same color as the car. The contrast looks good on the Lapiz Blue.

ipop071

I will have to say that before I got the car I felt the same but once i saw it in person, I felt it was exactly as it should be and looks more aggressive than the pre-facelift...
I like the fact that the design is cohesive, the black trim is consistent throughout and always seems to be in the right place.

I like the contrast it creates on my car too, monster pics incoming, sorry: