GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel cleaning

paulgarnett6

Ready to race!
Keeping my wheels clean is where I always fail no matter what I’ve tried.
Cleaned my car today it looks amazing until I see what a crap job I’ve done of the wheels.
Are there any sprays that will genuinely remove the crap after a jet wash.wheels are coated in qtechnic wheel armour supposed to make them easy to clean
All suggestions welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Are you waxing the wheels after you clean them?
No fancy brand names required, as anything is better than nothing, I've even used asda 35p furniture polish to good effect.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
If your wheels are diamond cut, don’t use an acid based cleaner, as it will make the lacquered surface go a milky/cloudy white.

I do have some of this in my cleaning supplies;

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet-pro-bilberry-wheel-cleaner/prod_499.html

It’s non-acidic, ph neutral, so safe to use on most types of wheel finish.

I keep my wheels well waxed so find they’re really easy to clean and the dirt doesn’t really stick to them. What dirt or brake dust there is cleans off using a dedicated micro fibre wheel mitt and a normal bucket of car shampoo and water. I only really use the Bilberry wheel cleaner occasionally in the winter when the wheels get grubbier than at other times of the year.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Which wheels do you have? How much time are you spending cleaning them? (you should do this after you clean the rest of your car btw)
The Griot's Garage wheel cleaner helps loosen the dust and grime but you still have to spend time scrubbing with a (separate) mitt/sponge to get it off. As such, I usually just use the remaining soap/water in the bucket and good ol' elbow grease. I also have Chemical Bros wax which has worked pretty well for me over the past few months. It doesn't prevent brake dust from sticking but it certainly helps reduce it.

For reference I have silver rse10's.

LostDutchman

Another solution - install pads which produce less dust. On other cars I’ve used Hawk pads which performed great and no dust, other makers produce them too. Some cars come with “dustless” pads, my G37 coupe factory pads were virtually dustless. So sweet to not have to wash off brake dust.

This won’t solve road grime but it can help, especially in dry climates.

mensaman

Ready to race!
Sooooooo much brake dust from stock pads. I like McKee's 37 wheel glaze. I haven't used it on the stock wheels, but it worked a treat on my OZ HyperGT.

paulgarnett6

Ready to race!
I’ve got team dynamics pro race 1.2 in gloss black also coated in gtechnic wheel armour.
Maybe I’ll try different pads when they are worn.never heard of dustless ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I Find that tire shine (Armor All, Black Magic, etc) wiped on the wheels does a great job. Spray tires, wipe the overspray with a microfiber towel. Done. Makes it easier to clean.
Waxing lasts longer obviously, but more work.

Edit: This is after washing with auto shampoo and mitt.

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Know what works well and was actually recommended to me by Neuspeed when I emailed them for a recommended cleaner on my RSe12 Gunmetal...

Good old Simple Green. You still need to agitate with a dedicated while mitt or brush, but it works fairly well, is safe for the finish, and is also safe to clean your tire walls.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I use 303 Aerospace products inside and outside. Phenomenal stuff that works as advertised and lasts forever on surfaces.

I have found most of the major brand stuff you get at your local store just doesn't cut it. It's either greasy or leaves a filmy haze or plain doesn't last all that long.

Check them out on Amazon, best thing I've discovered in awhile.

frosty.mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Or gunmetal / anthracite.

I just put on gunmetal RSe10 wheels, you can't even tell they are dirty. I still clean them every wash, but it's nice to know my wheels won't look like crap between washes.