GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

advice please

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
guys my golf is a 2013 got it at about 30k vw vindis has been looking after it for a couple of years a few services big and small, gearbox oil change, front pads and Mot. Break oil rechange and AC refresh its hitting 60k.
Its five years are up Vw recommended 130k or five years old Timing belt and water pump almost £500.00 any help can i delay or shall i start saving up :(
any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Skip the front brakes unless they're actually worn, 30k is nothing

Timing belt and W/P you should definitely do on schedule. No way to check wear and if you break the belt it's an interference engine so it'll smack valve into pistons.

As for the fluid and filter changes, always a good idea to change per schedule also. Even if it is for years not miles

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
I know how u feel my car is a 2013 but I only have 7.500 miles on it and also now have to put money away for cambelt. I wouldn't mind it has a major service and mot next month to £360. Original I thought the engines had life time belts. Now vw uk recommends every 5 year. I feel they are a bit off rip off really. But also don't want to take any risks

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
I would do them on time, but maybe you can find a local shop the specialize in these cars outside of vw. It would be cheaper if you did it this way.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Its five years are up Vw recommended 130k or five years old Timing belt and water pump almost £500.00 any help can i delay or shall i start saving up :( any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

If you didn’t get the cam belt and water pump changed on time and the cam belt failed, it would cost significantly more than VW’s current price of £484 to do this job if you had to pay to repair or replace the extensively damaged engine that would result.

Always a firm believer of being proactive rather than reactive when it comes to car maintenance as it’s almost always cheaper in the long run.

Worth noting VW’s price match;

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/price-match

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I do most my own servicing on my cars..timing belts/water pumps I get the dealers to do...requires many tools, & hoist as the engine mounts have to be removed...(1.4lts).....& its best NOT to skimp on this otherwise the engine could go FUBAR....

Pay up the £££ for the service...

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys i think i better not beat behind the bush and just play it safe, ive got a couple of months to go yet, i was happy with the prices until this one popped up. Thanks again guys does anyone whats the price of parts is ???

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I've replaced the timing belt on an earlier Tdi, ALH 1.9 VE (90hp). It's not that bad of a job, but I'm a professional mechanic which I realize most are not. It cost about $350 US in parts, coolant, and a few tools to do it. I borrowed someone's Vag Com to finish setting timing properly, but being your car is common rail idk if you'd need that step.

Anyway no timing belt is lifetime. They deteriorate just like anything else rubber over time. Even if it looks good it could be ready to snap

pcr

Ready to race!
Do make sure that the timing belt change is fully guaranteed, I mean for the cost if it fails, it's the sort of job that can go wrong.

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
thankyou guys for all your help i think its better getting that out of the way, then fingers crossed i will be safe for a few years.

RC Mad

I did my belt for that reason, 2014 car on 108000 miles, so whilst technically it didn't need a belt doing i was a bit worried about going over 100k without a belt change and I also have a DTUK box fitted so thought it would be a wise move to change the belt, it only stings for a bit :eek::D