GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

That darn bug grime...

dub_guy

Ready to race!
Last time I hand washed my car, there was some bug grime bonded to the paint that would just not come off - wash, clay bar, polish and bug remover would not get it off the paint.

Any suggestions on how to deal with it? Looking to do my winter prep and would like this off the car before I put paint sealant on.

Billy Baldone1

Ready to race!
It probably needs to be buffed out. Some bugs are acidic like bird crap. It can etch your clear coat pretty easy. Usually a light polish is all you need. I recommend a clear bra to everyone

dub_guy

Ready to race!
Here is an example off the front bumper:

All that shadow seems to have been a bug hit. This pic is after washing, clay bar, bug/tar remover and a different tar remover. It feel flat to the hand so it isn't "stuck out"

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Put a sandwich bad over your hand since it's normally easier to feel things on teh paint. Seems like it was an acidic bug so it etched itself into your paint

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
You're gonna laugh, but Armor All or equivalent and a microfiber towel and some elbow grease.
Unless it actually ate through the clear coat.

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M

geebob

Ready to race!
People will laugh, and I haven't tried it, but one of those household tips things in the paper said wet dryer softener sheets. I live in bug country and if I wash it myself, drench a couple bath towels in hot water and lay them on for half an hour or so first. That gets the easy ones without scrubbing.