GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New car. Top battery cover missing.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Sides have the felt. Top piece is missing. Anyone else?

Tac

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 R & '17 GTI
This may be a new thing for 17s, I noticed my Sport didn't have the top to it either, and I saw no attachment points for one. Just felt around the sides.

Elwood

3-7-77
I'd bet its tucked in on the left side. Unfortunately, I think you need to remove the battery cables to pull it off and fix it. I'd take it back to the dealer with a big WTF?

Probably a MY2018 thing and cost cutting.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
just checked mine. Did they move the battery?
This is my 16 R

Just the angle i guess. But make sure that it's not folded down inside. It's possible one of the idiots at the dealership had to remove the battery and just put it back in with the top folded down.

Also, nice clean engine bay BB.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Currently also being discussed over on vwroc.com as some owners have the battery cover with the top removed and others have the fully enclosed version with the top. One of the forum members have contacted VWUK for clarification and are waiting for a response.

Someone on vwroc.com pointed out that the battery cover on the Golf R at the Geneva Motor Show was one without a top. Maybe the 'topless' version was planned to be introduced from build week 45; one of the two weeks each year (the other is week 22) when which VW introduce spec changes, and if supplies of the current version were used up before build week 45, use of the 'topless' one was brought forward?

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Maybe someone at the dealer during the PDI cut the top cover off to access the terminals?

But it's unlikely they did this to the show car at the Geneva Motor Show, which didn't have a top to the battery cover.