GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 12-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #1
Antonioni fasano

Drives: Mohave
$2500 to get an insurance on my GTI?????

Hello eveyone, I am looking to buy a MK7 GTI, and been looking into some insurance companies in Chicago! I am 19, and they want to me to pay 2500 for 5 months!! How fucking insane is that? Is this correct for my age and the car I want to be driving or it is just way to much?
Thankss
Antonioni fasano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
AKF427
Banned

Drives: 16 VW GTI 6spd | '17 Audi Q7 Prem+/Virtual Cockpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonioni fasano View Post
Hello eveyone, I am looking to buy a MK7 GTI, and been looking into some insurance companies in Chicago! I am 19, and they want to me to pay 2500 for 5 months!! How fucking insane is that? Is this correct for my age and the car I want to be driving or it is just way to much?
Thankss
How's your driving record? I'm 2x your age...my insurer is USAA, when I bought the Dealer was amazed & took a photo of my premium....it's $574 for 12 months. KNOCKING ON WOOD....I have zero claims & zero speeding/moving violations in 20+ years I've been w/ them. But $2,500 for 5 months sounds wildly high.
AKF427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
Gti jake

Drives: GTI 6MT
I was 20 when I bought my first new gti (mk6) and my insurance quote was $300 a month, so $200 per month cheaper then they told you.

I ended up adding it to my dads policy since I still used his address at that time and it was like $175 a month.

Now I'm 27 and pay $1500 per year for my mk7 gti and wife's SUV, which is also a 2016
Old 12-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #4
ReadTheBook

Drives: '90 Cabby '15 Golf SE Sport, CSG '17 GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF427 View Post
How's your driving record? I'm 2x your age...my insurer is USAA, when I bought the Dealer was amazed & took a photo of my premium....it's $574 for 12 months. KNOCKING ON WOOD....I have zero claims & zero speeding/moving violations in 20+ years I've been w/ them. But $2,500 for 5 months sounds wildly high.
I'm with USAA too, just about your age, but nowhere near that low @ $939 / 12mo for my GTI. My wife's cost for her MK7 Golf is $898 and she's had a speeding ticket in the last 5 years, and no accidents that were her fault (her parked car got t-boned a few years ago though) These are the "discounted" rates because we bundled renters and personal property with them as well.

I would say I've had 1 speeding ticket every 5 years on avg since I began driving at age 16, I've had 3 accidents in my life, but only one was my fault, and no accidents in the last 10 years. So not a perfect record, but not horrible across the 5 years they supposedly look at either.

OP, for a 19 year (we don't know your driving record) old in a major city with what is considered a sporty car, it might seem high, but it's probably not that far off from what a lot of younger drivers might encounter depending on driving record of course.
CSG '17 GTI Sport | H&R OE Sport Springs | Bilstein B8 | EuroCode FSB 25mm | Eibach RSB 25mm | Neuspeed RSe12 | Clubsport Center Caps | Continental 235 | OEM Folding Mirrors | SunTek CXP 35/18 | aFe | DeAuto | SoundSkin Pro | Helix SoundBox | A119 DashCam | RGM Guards | OBDEleven'd |
ReadTheBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #5
oddspyke

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn Manual w/PP
You're in a city and your age starts with a "1". It may be on the high side, but it's not as crazy as it sounds. When I was 22 and got my MKV GTI I was paying over $1,000 every 6 months in a suburban/rural area, also with a clean record. My friend was in Philly paying almost double that and that was almost a decade ago. Keep in mind too that even if you have a clean driving record, that's only like 2 years. You might think you're a good driver, heck, you may be a good driver, but statistically speaking, you're an accident waiting to happen with 200+ hp car.

Try calling around though, Geico and Progressive were always the cheapest when I was under 25, but you also get what you pay for, so you'd better hope you don't get in an accident and actually need their assistance.
oddspyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #6
TheGreekFreak

Drives: 2017 Tornado Red 6MT GTI Sport
27yo, no accidents, no tickets, no points ever. Live in a good suburb, car is parked in the garage year round, basically best picture you can paint for an insurance company.

Still, my rate is a little over $1500 a year for just the GTI. Had an insurance agent shop around, play with coverage, etc and it was the best rate I could get for the coverage I wanted.

Not the crazy rate you got quoted but feel like I'm paying too much given my record and the car itself. The GTI isn't THAT fast from the factory or anything special imo.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #7
Gti jake

Drives: GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreekFreak View Post
27yo, no accidents, no tickets, no points ever. Live in a good suburb, car is parked in the garage year round, basically best picture you can paint for an insurance company.

Still, my rate is a little over $1500 a year for just the GTI. Had an insurance agent shop around, play with coverage, etc and it was the best rate I could get for the coverage I wanted.

Not the crazy rate you got quoted but feel like I'm paying too much given my record and the car itself. The GTI isn't THAT fast from the factory or anything special imo.
Must be where you live, because I have two tickets currently and pay half as much and I'm your same age
Old 12-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
Dubins930

Drives: 2017 VW GTI
Im 31, more accidents and speeding tickets than I can count on both hands, 81 a month for full coverage haha... I remember looking when I was 19-20 and they wanted about the same...it was insane. By yourself a golf instead and when you hit 26ish your rates will drop
Dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
JC_451

Drives: 2017 GTi Sport 6MT
Young male drivers are the dumbest drivers out there unfortunately.

Gotta pay for other people mistakes. (Or perhaps your own if you're leaving out details)

The insurance company perceives you to be high risk, their belief isn't likely unfounded.
JC_451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
Strange Mud

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
did you ask any one else that actually sells insurance how much they would sell it for?
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
armedferret

Drives: 17 SE DSG NBM
When I was 19 I drove a 1986 ford tempo. No car payment, insurance was about 45 bucks a month.

Sometimes swallowing your pride affords the ability to not be a spoiled little twatwaffle.
armedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
Parabola

Drives: 2015 GTI, 2016 GSW
My insurance for both GTI and Sportwagen is ~$1300/year, comprehensive coverage...I am twice the op's age with clean driving record...
Parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
Sub-to-Dub

Drives: '17 GTI Sport 6MT
It sounds like you're young, living in Chicago, and insuring a new (performance) car so I'm not surprised it's outrageous.

Some variables to consider:
-Age and gender
-Marital status
-Driving record
-Make/model/year of car
-Miles driven per year
-Location (where the car is driven and parked)
-Coverage limits (liability, collision, etc.)
-Combing policies with home or other vehicle coverage
-Add ons like roadside assistance

Definitely get multiple estimates and see if competing offers can get the price down some. Are you part of any organizations that might get discounts? Is getting on your parents insurance an option?

Last edited by Sub-to-Dub; 12-07-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Sub-to-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
TheWombat

Drives: Golf R MKVII 2016 manual
Yeah, as Sub-to-Dub lists, it's all about the data. Age, marital status, location, car model, driving record, driving patterns, etc. Unfortunately, being young, male, single, living in a city, driving a new performance-oriented car...all adds up, literally.

I'm with USAA as well, and the rates are extremely good compared to pretty much anything else I could get.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #15
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Your only hope without changing your status is to go to an insurance broker.

Qualifying for USAA would certainly help, but you would need to enlist. But then you wouldn't get to drive your own car much.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #16
dood.

Drives: 2017 GTI S DSG
What about getting a nice, clean used MK6? Might be worth getting an insurance quote to see if it fits your budget better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #17
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
1. male
2. 19
3. Chicago
4. Single policy
5. full coverage
6. low deductible probably
7. It's a GTI