GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Golf R Discussions

Old 12-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
Varinn

Drives: '90 BMW e30 332i, '08 KTM SD990, '17 Mazda CX-5 GT
7.5 interior updates

I was set on the MK7 but being in Canada that wide range of paint options is making it more appealing to do a factory order. My big issues is that I don't like the interior updates as much as the original MK7 setup. I dropped in at a dealer who didn't have an '18 R in stock, but they did have the '17 R and an '18 Tiguan/Golf Wagon to compare (The tiguan had the same or a very similar cluster).

My immediate reaction to the digital dash was disappointment, I knew I would likely not be fond of it but I was even less impressed than I had imagined. The digital cockpit has some cool concepts but I found it gave off a feeling of lacking any depth. The colors and lighting on it just doesn't have the same feeling of quality that the true gauges do. The touch buttons on the center console screen are sleek looking but less tactile and more prone to fingerprints. TBH I don't see much benefit of the features that the cluster promoted either, most of the things aren't really much benefit (including the NAV map option)

Has anyone else with similar concerns ordered a 2018 Golf R and had their impression change after receiving and driving the car for a bit? In the time I played around I didn't think to dim the cluster lights to see if it helped with the gauge appearance but I don't have high hopes. Would I need to chock it up to being the one major gripe with an otherwise fantastic car?
Varinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
I know there's little depth to it, and I have yet to see it, but I wouldn't let it stop me from buying the car. Seems to me you would get used to it in a short time.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
TheWombat

Drives: Golf R MKVII 2016 manual
Anyone know how the VW version compares to the Audi Virtual Cockpit? I've seen that one in person and it's slick.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:29 AM   #4
cbr600rr

Drives: Currently, a Scion FR-S
Don't think Canada gets the digital cockpit in the 18 GTI autobahn. Only in the R.
cbr600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #5
Varinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr600rr View Post
Don't think Canada gets the digital cockpit in the 18 GTI autobahn. Only in the R.
I think you're right, if you are meaning to respond to me I can clarify.

The 2018 Tiguan I sat in had what the salesman described as being the same digital gauge cluster

The 2018 Golf Wagon had analog gauges but DID have the same center console display as the Golf R.

The 2017 Golf R of course had the analog gauges with 8" center console screen and tactile physical buttons

I may not let it stop me from buying the car but I guess I just have some strong reservations about it. The gauges in the 2017 are so nice and I can't shake the feeling that the digital dashboard is innovating in the wrong direction. I feel like at most a larger screen between the analog gauges would be ideal, the digital tach/speedo just loses something not quite tangible.

Otherwise though... I want an effing Golf R, my test drive in the '17 sealed that deal pretty hard.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:50 AM   #6
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varinn View Post
I think you're right, if you are meaning to respond to me I can clarify.

The 2018 Tiguan I sat in had what the salesman described as being the same digital gauge cluster

The 2018 Golf Wagon had analog gauges but DID have the same center console display as the Golf R.

The 2017 Golf R of course had the analog gauges with 8" center console screen and tactile physical buttons

I may not let it stop me from buying the car but I guess I just have some strong reservations about it. The gauges in the 2017 are so nice and I can't shake the feeling that the digital dashboard is innovating in the wrong direction. I feel like at most a larger screen between the analog gauges would be ideal, the digital tach/speedo just loses something not quite tangible.

Otherwise though... I want an effing Golf R, my test drive in the '17 sealed that deal pretty hard.
No sticking needles.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:55 AM   #7
Varinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
No sticking needles.
That's seriously a thing on the mk7's?
2007 BMW Z4M Coupe (Sold)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
G7Rules

Drives: Grand Prix (for now) - 2016 DBP DSG/DCC/DAP soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
No sticking needles.

Iíve never heard of this issue on the MK7 R. Do you have an example?
G7Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
ecsta

Drives: 2017 R
Quote:
Yes all the VW digital clusters in 2018 are the same, at least what i saw looking around the showroom. They're slightly different styling/options but same hardware.

They're not as nice as the Audi's IMO but looked much better in person than i was expecting. No Google Maps/Earth if that's important to you.
ecsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
Dan84

Drives: Golf 7 1.4 TSI Highline
I think it's one of those thing you end up getting used to..

Digital display will be standard accross in no time and will have to adapt

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Downpipe & Stainless Steel Exhaust
Dan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #11
RudyH

Drives: 2018 Golf R - 6MT
I think the physical surrounding around the A3/S3/RS3 looks better then the boxy VW version. Other then that didn't initially notice any differences.

To be honest, I don't know for how many years it has been now that I have never looked at the analog dials. They are simply inaccurate and useless. You are often saying 'I am doing AROUND 50-60' I have always used the digital in my Audi S4. The only time I think I cared about the dials is when I first got the car and was trying to match the sound of the engine to the RPMs. Otherwise a quick glance down at 132 km/h in a 100 km/h is all I look at now.

The other perks is the navigation no longer being a side node to look at but rather dropping your eyes down, not taking your eyes off the road. Same goes with the other items showing up rather then in the center console.

The negative that I think those commenting farther north then me, say Edmonton, is how well those digital virtual dashes hold up under extreme weather. I know my old B5 S4 electronics HATED the cold. Once the car got up to temperature then the display with power up for the radio and climate control etc.

The other negative is I like a Rolex not an iWatch...I think you get what I mean. Maybe a 'watch guy' can come up with a better watch then the Rolex, but the analog dials give it a bit more class to me
RudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #12
CDavis7M

Drives: None
The digital dash in the '18 is the reason I decided not to wait and just get the '17. There are pros and cons to both models, but I liked the '17 more.
CDavis7M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #13
AKF427
Banned

Drives: 16 VW GTI 6spd | '17 Audi Q7 Prem+/Virtual Cockpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavis7M View Post
The digital dash in the '18 is the reason I decided not to wait and just get the '17. There are pros and cons to both models, but I liked the '17 more.
Logical choice & rationale. My wife drives an Audi Q7 w/ the "virtual cockpit". I suspect virtual/digital will be standard upon on all models from all manufacturers, ultimately. Yet that is 5-10+ years away....the "trickle down" from current flagship models to pedestrian models.

I believe standardization is forthcoming, I hope the option for analog remains.

No question, a "wow" factor exists & it is very cool...especially the fact that you can adjust it to conform to the size of the speedo & tach etc you want. However, once the "wow" factor is no longer...a Driver tends to go back to the default way "it was". Personally, you're not missing out on anything & the "wow" factor fades.
AKF427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:01 PM   #14
KO7

Drives: 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R DSG w/ Tech
I see you're in Vancouver. Come join us in the Vancouver R Club on Facebook!
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:30 AM   #15
ssaylor

Drives: R
Quote:
I was set on the MK7 but being in Canada that wide range of paint options is making it more appealing to do a factory order. My big issues is that I don't like the interior updates as much as the original MK7 setup. I dropped in at a dealer who didn't have an '18 R in stock, but they did have the '17 R and an '18 Tiguan/Golf Wagon to compare (The tiguan had the same or a very similar cluster).

My immediate reaction to the digital dash was disappointment, I knew I would likely not be fond of it but I was even less impressed than I had imagined. The digital cockpit has some cool concepts but I found it gave off a feeling of lacking any depth. The colors and lighting on it just doesn't have the same feeling of quality that the true gauges do. The touch buttons on the center console screen are sleek looking but less tactile and more prone to fingerprints. TBH I don't see much benefit of the features that the cluster promoted either, most of the things aren't really much benefit (including the NAV map option)

Has anyone else with similar concerns ordered a 2018 Golf R and had their impression change after receiving and driving the car for a bit? In the time I played around I didn't think to dim the cluster lights to see if it helped with the gauge appearance but I don't have high hopes. Would I need to chock it up to being the one major gripe with an otherwise fantastic car?
I just saw my first 2018 7.5 R at the LA auto show and I agree 100%. Glad I have my 17!!
ssaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:55 AM   #16
takemorepills

Drives: 2016 GTI SE DSG
Sad that many consumers feel that the full LCD cluster is a "premium" advancement.
As someone who works with tech day to day, I can tell you the "virtual cockpit" full LCD cluster is nothing more than a big cost cutting measure.

LCDs are cheap.
Needles, servos, backlighting are expensive.

In regards to touch sensitive displays (especially when Honda went full touchscreen) on infotainment, same basis applies...CHEAPER. Touch panel is cheaper than physical buttons and knobs.

I too, dislike the Mk7.5 displays, unless they cut the price of Mk7s to reflect the cost savings they have done since 2014
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #17
Jumpy

Drives: 2005 Dodge Neon SXT
It goes both ways, though. Yes the LCD cluster is financially cheaper, but that doesn't mean it's worse. It's actually a good technology and probably has real benefits over analog gauges. They both have pros and cons, but to argue that it's objectively worse is just being a stubborn traditionalist.
Jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote