GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Odd "surge" under full throttle -- engine problem or clutch slipping?

eickhoffj11

Passed Driver's Ed
it's clutch slip - same thing happened to me, new clutch fixed it
Same thing happened to me. It slips and grabs. I'm back on stock tune and getting every thing new for my clutch. Going with the BFI stage 3 or the Clutchmasters FX350.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AR11

Ready to race!
Should I even bother trying to take this up with VW @ 14 months old and 11.5k miles? The engine and drivetrain are totally stock but I don't want to waste my time if its a lost cause. My reluctance in upgrading clutches is that I never really intended to add power anyway...

r-gazmic

Passed Driver's Ed
Should I even bother trying to take this up with VW @ 14 months old and 11.5k miles? The engine and drivetrain are totally stock but I don't want to waste my time if its a lost cause. My reluctance in upgrading clutches is that I never really intended to add power anyway...

Some people have gotten clutch replacements at least partially covered under warranty or good-willed by their dealer so it's not a 100% lost cause. I'd say it's worth asking about, worst thing that happens is they say no and you have to go out of pocket anyways.

Hatcher

Ready to race!
I am experiencing the same thing, but I've had APR Stage 1 for over 10,000 miles of driving.

Good reason for me to get beefed up clutch and move onto next Stage:D

AR11

Ready to race!
Good news and bad news. Good news is it wasn't slipping today. Bad news is that this was while I was trying to show the tech at the dealer the problem I was experiencing. I think it must have to do with temperature/being more warmed up vs when I was driving home from work on chilly evenings.

Maybe I can get by with the stock clutch as long as I'm mindful of this.

The tech said that the clutch wouldn't be covered if it was determined to be caused by user error. This kind of sounds like "guilty until proven innocent" to me because I have to imagine they would default to this explanation unless there is something glaringly wrong with the hardware (which there likely isn't, its just not up to the task).

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
This youtuber captured exactly what my car is doing. He also seems to think its clutch slip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi_mSwU67kg
My GTI is stock engine and transmission wise. It's doing something very similar, though not to the same extent:

Good news and bad news. Good news is it wasn't slipping today. Bad news is that this was while I was trying to show the tech at the dealer the problem I was experiencing. I think it must have to do with temperature/being more warmed up vs when I was driving home from work on chilly evenings.

Maybe I can get by with the stock clutch as long as I'm mindful of this.

The tech said that the clutch wouldn't be covered if it was determined to be caused by user error. This kind of sounds like "guilty until proven innocent" to me because I have to imagine they would default to this explanation unless there is something glaringly wrong with the hardware (which there likely isn't, its just not up to the task).
Same here, it only does it when temperatures are below 40-45°F.

dcpower

Passed Driver's Ed

My R is at the dealer right now for a new clutch. 18k miles running a JB4, and a few bolt ons. The dealer gave me a discount on labour and I provided my own clutch. Couldn't hurt to ask if they can help you out at all.

AR11

Ready to race!
I've noticed that (especially when cold) the transmission is stiff going from neutral to first from a stop. Similar to when you have a synchro going out and there is an initial stiffness that "breaks" as you get past it.

This makes me wonder if the clutch is not fully disengaging when the pedal is in. My question is if this seems more like a symptom of a worn clutch or a CAUSE of a worn clutch?

I'm still trying to decide if I should fight the dealer on this. I'm expecting they will blame it on user error but I know with the clean conscience that the car is stock and driven reasonably (has been tracked but never launched or ripped through the gears regularly otherwise).

Kc1991

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
I am aware that this thread is older but was not sure if anyone else has experienced this doozie...I
am actually getting this same issue on my MT 7.5R but I had a Stage 4 Ringer Racing clutch installed and new flywheel about 4 months ago... and I am running a stage 1 IE tune. Not sure how the slip could occur in this situation but any input would be appreciated.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
I had a similar issue with RPMs fluctuating under power on my A3 way back in 2017 on a JB4 stage 1. Obviously, with a DSG it wasn't clutch slip but it was still a mild fluctuation of the RPMs. There was also a loss of power, but no codes.

Finally traced it down to the stock DV failing to hold boost under load. It would leak boost, RPMs would fluctuate and I would lose power. As far as I know, this is a pretty rare failure so it may very well be your clutch still, but it is something to look into. Plus a new DV is like 40 bucks and takes 10m to swap.

Kc1991

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R
I had a similar issue with RPMs fluctuating under power on my A3 way back in 2017 on a JB4 stage 1. Obviously, with a DSG it wasn't clutch slip but it was still a mild fluctuation of the RPMs. There was also a loss of power, but no codes.

Finally traced it down to the stock DV failing to hold boost under load. It would leak boost, RPMs would fluctuate and I would lose power. As far as I know, this is a pretty rare failure so it may very well be your clutch still, but it is something to look into. Plus a new DV is like 40 bucks and takes 10m to swap.
This is kind of what my local shop is thinking too. The new clutch is rated for 700hp and currently I'm at 350hp.

Plus it is a very random occurrence. It doesn't happen in a specific situation. Different gears at sporadic rpms is what I've noticed in the past few days. And yesterday I was ripping it around and nothing happened at all :p.