GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
golfdave

Drives: Defensively, avoiding all the other idiots!!
How to change the oil on a MQ250, 5 speed or 6 speed, manual gearbox, Mk7 Golf.

Vehicle used in this guide:-
UK spec, 2014yr model, Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW), GT (Highline) trim, 1.4lt TSI (140PS) CHPA petrol engine, MQ250 6speed manual gearbox, multilink rear suspension.

Vehicles that this guide is applicable to:-
All VW MK7 & MK7.5, Golf Hatch, Golf Variant (estate/station wagon) with a manual MQ250 gearbox.

Special thanks to:-
Forum member “surfstar” for pointing out the ROWE oil, various oil company tech depts. & my local dealer’s parts dept.

Introduction:-
My car is 3yrs old & has less than 20,000miles on the clock. However this gearbox has from day one been one of the worst VAG gearboxes I have driven in terms of accuracy & feel. I have done all the other usual mods, including 42DD & dieselgeek bushes, Audi TT shorter lever & relay arms etc., etc.. Whilst these modifications have vastly improved the shift feel, there is still room for improvement, & an oil change is the only thing left to be done! Whilst researching the initial information on an oil change for my 6speed manual gearbox, I found lots of conflicting advice, so I decide to get information from various sources including the VW workshop manuals (ERWIN).

Research on MQ250 Gearboxes:-
This guide was carried out on an MQ250 6 speed manual gearbox. The 6 speed is a 5 speed with a longer "add on" casing section for the sixth gear. The MQ250 is actually an old "02S" gearbox which was first introduced in 2004. The 02S is based on the 5 speed version called the "0A4" from the same year. The reason for the change in name is also the reason why we have an unusable oil filler/level plug on the front of the case! When these gearboxes were designed the gearbox case was mated to an engine which was tilted towards the front of the car. On the MQB platform, ALL engines are now tilted towards the rear of the car by 12deg! Therefore the old fill/level plug is now pointing towards the bonnet & if you try to use this as the correct "level" you will overfill the gearbox with oil!!

Last edited by golfdave; 12-11-2017 at 11:13 PM.
golfdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
golfdave

Part I.

Research on the correct grade of gearbox oil:-
Previously the most common manual gearbox oil used by VAG was a 75w90 which was to an old VW standard of VW 501 50. Now VW uses a part number & it was suggested that the MQ250 gearbox takes part No.:-G 052 512 A2 (A2 designates quantity of 1lt bottle). VWUK have NO specifications on the gear oil other than the VW part number & apparently the bottle it comes in has nothing written on it either. So it’s a big secret!!

When I went onto various oil brand websites & used their selector apps, I was either recommended a 75w, or a 75w80. So I phoned up a couple of companies in the UK & both stated that I should only be using a 75w & the 75w80 is the wrong oil!

However when looking at my spec of Golf on a web site with VW ETKA parts catalogue it states my MQ250 QSZ gearbox as having "high performance gear oil" part No.:- G 052 527 A2!! Looking through all MK7 manual gearboxes there are two oils listed, a “basic grade” which is based on MQ number, i.e. an MQ250 basic grade oil is a different part number to a MQ350 basic grade oil. However ALL gearboxes have a “high-performance transmission oil” option listed & all are the same part No.:- G 052 527 A2

So what do we do for our MQ250?? Easy, look at the gear oil “recommendations” & chose one that meets both the G 052 512 A2, & G 052 527 A2 standards.

Both of these oils meet the recommendations of the G 052 512 A2, & G 052 527 A2 standards. I used Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75w, as easier to get hold of.

Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75w:-
Density at 15 °C (DIN 51757) = 0,873g/ml
Kinematic viscosity at 40°C (DIN 51562-1) = 40.8mm²/s
Kinematic viscosity at 100°C (DIN 51562-1) = 6.7mm²/s
Viscosity index (DIN ISO 2909) = 119
Flash point, CoC (DIN ISO 2592) = 221°C
Pour point (DIN ISO 3016) = -44°C

ROWE Hightec Topgear FE SAE 75w80 S:-
Density at 15 °C (ASTM D-7042) = 0,854g/ml
Kinematic viscosity at 40°C (ASTM D-7042) = 37.8mm²/s
Kinematic viscosity at 100°C (ASTM D-7042) = 7.5mm²/s
Viscosity index (ASTM D-7042) = 173
Flash point (ASTM D-92 / DIN EN ISO 2592) = 180°C
Pour point (ASTM D-97 / DIN EN ISO 3016) = -44°C

What is very strange is that the Fuchs 75w80 does not meet either of the two standards required for our gearboxes & yet the ROWE is a 75w80 & does meet both standards!

So DO NOT go by the “W” rating, only go by the “recommendations” list on the oil bottle!!

Quantity required:-
MQ250, 5 speed = 1.8lt for normal oil change. 2.0lt for gearbox dismantle & rebuild
MQ250, 6 speed = 2.1lt for normal oil change. 2.3lt for gearbox dismantle & rebuild

Last edited by golfdave; 12-03-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #3
golfdave

Part II.

Parts required:-

VAG ETKA illustration for Golf/2013/Gearbox/No.311-088,
Parts list & approx. costs in UK £
Item No.8A:- N 90362001, “O” ring £2.48 (x1)

Procedure:-

FIRST & Highly Important!:- You need to FIRST lock the selector mech with the little black lever handle, this is on the top side of gearbox case. Put selector in neutral & push down a small amount & feel with the other hand for the indent whilst turning the small black locking lever from 9 o’clock to 12 o’clock. If you do not do this you will lose the position of the gear selector mech in the gearbox & you are in for a tow job to the dealers!!

2. Using a 17mm hex undo the main rear drain plug & collect the oil in a suitable container.

3. After the above has fully drained remove the pivot pin plug (bolt requires T-Star T45). Allow the oil to fully drain from here. Once this has drained, fit new o-ring (VW part no. N90362001) to the plug shank. Lightly lube the plug & “O”-ring with new gearbox oil, & use a small amount of medium strength thread lock (blue Loctite) on the bolt. Replace the plug & torque bolt (25Nm/18lbft).

4. Clean threads, & replace the main drain plug & torque (35Nm/26lbft)

5. Now you can unlock (turn the black lever handle back to 9 o’clock) the selector mech & make certain it is in neutral to avoid damaging the reverse light switch.

6. Remove the reverse light switch (undo connector easy by squeezing top of tab into body), & then use a 22mm spanner or long socket.

7. Using a 10mm dia max (external) hose (18inch or 50cm) & funnel, insert hose into the hole for the reverse light switch & slowly pour in the new oil (this takes ages..so kneel on floor on cushion...)

8. Refit the reverse light switch & use some blue hymolar on it (flex gasket/sealant)...torque up (20Nm/15lbft). I used a 22mm diesel injector tall socket (also does Lambda sensors) & reconnect the reverse light switch.
Attached Images

Last edited by golfdave; 11-09-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
golfdave

Part III.

Further considerations on procedure:-
For my 6 speed MQ250 it states 2.1lts for a standard drain & re-fill. However, I decided to drain mine overnight & part of the time the front was jacked up more, so the oil would run out the drain plug at the rear easier. The rest of the time the car was level. I carefully measured all the oil that came out, which was 1.9lt! So VW must have under filled the gearbox at the factory as there has never been any oil changes on the gearbox & no leaks either!

Results:-
I notice that the oil that came out of the rear main drain plug was darker than the new colour & acceptable. However the oil that came out of the pivot pin plug, was black!! It also had very fine metal particles in the oil, like very fine glitter. Nothing stuck to my magnet that I put in the oil, so all OK & within acceptable limits as a new gearbox & “bedding in”.

Conclusions:-
If you are having any problems with the gearbox I strongly recommend carrying out an oil change! Although the car was previously very quiet, now there is less noise from the transmission, less gearbox whine when you lift off the accelerator, & the gear shift feel is better also!!

Last edited by golfdave; 12-03-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
russiankid

Drives: Das Auto
Why do you have in the photo to not use the "old" fill plug?
russiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
Why do you have in the photo to not use the "old" fill plug?
From the first part of this thread:-

This guide was carried out on an MQ250 6 speed manual gearbox. The 6 speed is a 5 speed with a longer "add on" casing section for the sixth gear. The MQ250 is actually an old "02S" gearbox which was first introduced in 2004. The 02S is based on the 5 speed version called the "0A4" from the same year. The reason for the change in name is also the reason why we have an unusable oil filler/level plug on the front of the case! When these gearboxes were designed the gearbox case was mated to an engine which was tilted towards the front of the car, now ALL engines are tilted towards the rear of the car by 12deg! Therefore the old fill/level plug is now pointing towards the bonnet & if you try to use this as the correct "level" you will overfill the gearbox with oil!!

This information is correct & from VW & the VW workshop manuals (ERWIN) which I have for this gearbox & the car.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
russiankid

I missed that part, thanks for the info! I am guessing this does not apply to the 02Q which is used in the GTI?
Old 12-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
golfdave

Quote:
I missed that part, thanks for the info! I am guessing this does not apply to the 02Q which is used in the GTI?
CORRECT....

The MQ350...02Q, 0BB, 0FB are drain via drain plug & fill until the oil comes out the fill plug halfway up the gearbox case...so basically as it always was...just the plugs are different torques..

If you have the 6 point hex fitted = 35Nm

If you have the 12point anti tamper fitted = 45Nm
Old 12-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
navindralr

Drives: 2017 GTI SE 4DR 6SPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdave View Post
From the first part of this thread:-

This guide was carried out on an MQ250 6 speed manual gearbox. The 6 speed is a 5 speed with a longer "add on" casing section for the sixth gear. The MQ250 is actually an old "02S" gearbox which was first introduced in 2004. The 02S is based on the 5 speed version called the "0A4" from the same year. The reason for the change in name is also the reason why we have an unusable oil filler/level plug on the front of the case! When these gearboxes were designed the gearbox case was mated to an engine which was tilted towards the front of the car, now ALL engines are tilted towards the rear of the car by 12deg! Therefore the old fill/level plug is now pointing towards the bonnet & if you try to use this as the correct "level" you will overfill the gearbox with oil!!

This information is correct & from VW & the VW workshop manuals (ERWIN) which I have for this gearbox & the car.
That's interesting bc awhile back I had watched the dap video about changing the gearbox oil and he uses the old fill/level plug. So his video is incorrect?
navindralr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #10
russiankid

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdave View Post
CORRECT....

The MQ350...02Q, 0BB, 0FB are drain via drain plug & fill until the oil comes out the fill plug halfway up the gearbox case...so basically as it always was...just the plugs are different torques..

If you have the 6 point hex fitted = 35Nm

If you have the 12point anti tamper fitted = 45Nm
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navindralr View Post
That's interesting bc awhile back I had watched the dap video about changing the gearbox oil and he uses the old fill/level plug. So his video is incorrect?
DAP video is correct, GTI uses a different transmission. General concept remains the same.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
navindralr

Lol whoops.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
golfdave

Quote:
The car used in the video is a MK7 GTI, the title of the video states GTI, gearbox underside is completely different between the GTI & my pictures on MQ250....for starters there are no pivot pin plugs shown on the GTI in the video...your powers of observation are lacking I find....

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

DAP video is correct, GTI uses a different transmission. General concept remains the same.
No problems & thanks for answering "navindralr" before I could..

Quote:
Lol whoops.
yep..brain fart on your part...

The thread is called "How to change the oil on a MQ250..."

MK7 Golf....GTI/GTD/R/CCS use MQ350 manuals.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #13
navindralr

I don't know all the transmission codes so I wasn't sure. You said applicable to all mk7 and 7.5. Thought that means gti included. Relax.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
golfdave

Quote:
You said applicable to all mk7 and 7.5. Thought that means gti included.
My statements are correct:- the MQ250 gearbox is fitted to various MK7 & MK7.5 Golf hatch & Golf estates..

There is no point in listing by "trim" spec, not even VW do this in the workshop manuals...

I just list by the Gearbox "type", not the actual gearbox code which is something completely different as the code varies depending on what engine & car model the gearbox is fitted to...

The official VW ERWIN workshop manual I have for the MQ250 gearbox in the MK7 Golf lists as follows:- VW CC 2012<, Golf Hatch 2013<, Golf Estate 2014<, Golf Cabriolet 2012<.

& lists the actual gearbox "codes" written on the gearboxes as:- KWB, NBJ, QWP, QXF, RSE, RSU, MUJ, PPJ, QWR, QWQ, RSF, RSG, NBJ, PTW, QSZ, QVX, QXH, RSD, RSW.

This gearbox is used in other VAG brands so it will have different codes there also.

However alarm bells should have started ringing in your head when I state the car used is a 1.4lt...the DAP video states a 2.0lt GTI...also there are no pivot point plugs on the underside of the GTI in the DAP video...where as my pictures show two of these...

Like I say my statements are correct you didn't bother reading correctly...."don't shoot the messenger" as they say...