GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Show Us Your Intake!

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
Searched the thread and didn't see anything regarding the Ramair intake. Saw an ad for it inPerformance VW and was intrigued. Is anyone running this or have they had products from them in previous cars? Looks similar to the VWR Cup intake but with a more robust heat shield and larger filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone,
Admittedly I didn't read the whole thread so maybe I'm saying things that have already been said...don't know.

I'm looking into upgrading to stage 2 on my GTi.

It looks like intakes are a bit of a crap shoot. Yes cooler air coming into the engine sounds like a good idea, but then everything I have seen is that the difference between an after market intake and the factory intake is very small and nearly negligible. In pure seat of the pants "feel" the best numbers I have seen is 6-12 hp gains with just an intake. I get breathing well, but the difference in temperatures between the factory and closed intakes is small and therefore air density improvements are also going to be small. Before I drop $500 into a CF closed intake, wouldn't I do better to get a better down pipe or intercooler? After all the intercooler is the real place that air is cooled down before it gets pumped into the engine, not the intake. AND a better breathing down pipe will keep me from wasting engine power pushing exhaust out the tail pipe. There's quite a few videos that bust the myth that an intake is really worth the trouble. I saw a couple of videos where they cut holes in the hood so that air from outside the engine was pumped directly in. The gains were negligible when the car was dyno'd. So other than looking cool, what's the point?

For the cost of an after market intake, I can buy lots of replacement air filters!

I'm not trying to be contentious or to start an argument, just that I'm not seeing benefits or only very small ones. However all the shops and online stores try to hype the daylights out of intakes like they are amazing performance boosters. I get it, they want to sell stuff. What's your personal opinion on intakes? With the hood closed no one can see my factory or after market intake so the coolness factor is not very important. I'd rather have nice wheels instead.

MST@STIFLER

We are MST Performance, the company from Taiwan, here's our latest product for everyone's reference.
If you have interested in our product, please feel free to contact us.

TEAM MST PERFORMANCE

Chang Huo Auto Parts Enterprises Company

No.1, Ln.497, Zhonghua Rd., Yongkang Dist., Tainan City 710, Taiwan

Email: sales@mst-p.com

Tel: +886 6 5938852

Fax: +886 6 5938851

Homepage: http://www.mst-performance.com/

FB: http://www.facebook.com/

IG: MSTPERformanceAutoParts

Twitter: MSTPAP

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
Hi everyone,
Admittedly I didn't read the whole thread so maybe I'm saying things that have already been said...don't know.

It looks like intakes are a bit of a crap shoot. Yes cooler air coming into the engine sounds like a good idea, but then everything I have seen is that the difference between an after market intake and the factory intake is very small and nearly negligible. In pure seat of the pants "feel" the best numbers I have seen is 6-12 hp gains with just an intake. I get breathing well, but the difference in temperatures between the factory and closed intakes is small and therefore air density improvements are also going to be small. Before I drop $500 into a CF closed intake, wouldn't I do better to get a better down pipe or intercooler? After all the intercooler is the real place that air is cooled down before it gets pumped into the engine, not the intake. AND a better breathing down pipe will keep me from wasting engine power pushing exhaust out the tail pipe. There's quite a few videos that bust the myth that an intake is really worth the trouble. I saw a couple of videos where they cut holes in the hood so that air from outside the engine was pumped directly in. The gains were negligible when the car was dyno'd. So other than looking cool, what's the point?

For the cost of an after market intake, I can buy lots of replacement air filters!

I'm not trying to be contentious or to start an argument, just that I'm not seeing benefits or only very small ones. However, all the shops and online stores try to hype the daylights out of intakes like they are amazing performance boosters. I get it, they want to sell stuff. What's your personal opinion on intakes? With the hood closed no one can see my factory or after market intake so the coolness factor is not very important. I'd rather have nice wheels instead.

I think it all depends on your driving style. A downpipe really m=wakes up the car's power band. I drive hard(ish) and an intercooler is on my list of eventual mods, especially after I get a tune. I have a modified stock intake tract with a higher flow drop-in filter and I have been quite pleased with the results.

My goals are a fast road car that can AutoX with the best of them! Ask yourself what your goals are and go from there. I hope that helps!

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm not trying to be contentious or to start an argument, just that I'm not seeing benefits or only very small ones. However all the shops and online stores try to hype the daylights out of intakes like they are amazing performance boosters. I get it, they want to sell stuff. What's your personal opinion on intakes? With the hood closed no one can see my factory or after market intake so the coolness factor is not very important. I'd rather have nice wheels instead.

Yes, yes, and yes (re: the bold font).

Intercooler first. APR, Unitronic, IE, Forge, Wagner, etc. all have a good product.

Downpipe second. You'll enjoy it the most if you can get a Stage 2 ECU tune.
However, if you want to leave the ECU tune stock, you could get a downpipe that the maker guarantees will not throw an O2 code.

Replace the stock air filter more often, and you'll have plenty of flow and turbo/engine protection.
The stock intake front duct piece also appears to be designed to also help seal up against the hood, and force air through the open slats to help heat dissipation in the overall engine bay.
I'm not against aftermarket air boxes, but if you are trying to prioritize when and where you spend aftermarket $$, I think intercooler first is a good way to go.

My .02, fwiw.

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
I think it all depends on your driving style. A downpipe really m=wakes up the car's power band. I drive hard(ish) and an intercooler is on my list of eventual mods, especially after I get a tune. I have a modified stock intake tract with a higher flow drop-in filter and I have been quite pleased with the results.

My goals are a fast road car that can AutoX with the best of them! Ask yourself what your goals are and go from there. I hope that helps!

This is my DD so I don't want to turn it into a grenade, but I do want it to be pretty fast. The factory car is already faster than most other cars on the road. I've kind of gotten into the habit of looking at the tires and wheels on a car first and then looking at the car as a basic determination of whether it can beat me or not. It is hilarious to see people in SUV's and minivans trying to pass me. Quite often I don't even need to shift down from 6th to out accelerate them. Anyway, the car is already quick enough to beat out most of the road munchers out there, but I want more. I would like 300+ hp. A stage 2 setup ought to get me what I want out of this car.

I'm just not getting blown away, by the numbers I see on intakes for the cost of the "upgrade". I'm probably going to ignore this a while longer if no one can be more compelling than 6-12hp gains.

Pingers

Ready to race!
I'm just not getting blown away, by the numbers I see on intakes for the cost of the "upgrade". I'm probably going to ignore this a while longer if no one can be more compelling than 6-12hp gains.

I was thinking about piecing together a setup;

APR - Carbon Fiber Turbo Inlet Pipe
APR - Turbo Inlet Pipe
aFePower - Pro 5 R Oiled Filter

The cost would be ~$360. I know I could do it $105 cheaper with the ECS package, but I like a little CF in my engine bay.

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
I was thinking about piecing together a setup;

APR - Carbon Fiber Turbo Inlet Pipe
APR - Turbo Inlet Pipe
aFePower - Pro 5 R Oiled Filter

The cost would be ~$360. I know I could do it $105 cheaper with the ECS package, but I like a little CF in my engine bay.

This is the same setup I'm using right now. I had the VWR pipe before but I prefer the APR -CF pipe because it has a flexible section to allow for the movement of the motor.

Pingers

Ready to race!
This is the same setup I'm using right now. I had the VWR pipe before but I prefer the APR -CF pipe because it has a flexible section to allow for the movement of the motor.

How do you like the setup? Noticeable? You have APR's new inlet pipe or just the CF hose portion?

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
This thread is crazy long, forgive me. It seems like the Injen intake might be one of the better bangs for the buck. I can't see myself dropping $500+ on the closed CF intake. They look cool but how often do you look at your car with the hood open? ....

I'm purely concerned with performance, it looks to me like the open pod filters might actually make less power due to sucking in hotter engine bay air, is this true or no? I have seen dyno runs on other cars where the vehicle actually lost a small amount of HP from running a pod filter over OEM. From what I can tell the OEM intake is pretty well designed on our cars.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
This thread is crazy long, forgive me. It seems like the Injen intake might be one of the better bangs for the buck. I can't see myself dropping $500+ on the closed CF intake. They look cool but how often do you look at your car with the hood open? ....

I'm purely concerned with performance, it looks to me like the open pod filters might actually make less power due to sucking in hotter engine bay air, is this true or no? I have seen dyno runs on other cars where the vehicle actually lost a small amount of HP from running a pod filter over OEM. From what I can tell the OEM intake is pretty well designed on our cars.

If you are considering an open intake, just stick with stock and get a filter. In your location you're just going to heatsoak all day and rob power vs. add.

How do I know this? I have an open intake and am going back to stock + filter tomorrow.

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
How do you like the setup? Noticeable? You have APR's new inlet pipe or just the CF hose portion?

I have the new APR inlet pipe. I like it better than the CTS or BMS turbo inlet.

I like the setup I have--it works with my stage 2 tune and with the amount of dust/pollen filters the air well.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
If you are considering an open intake, just stick with stock and get a filter. In your location you're just going to heatsoak all day and rob power vs. add.

How do I know this? I have an open intake and am going back to stock + filter tomorrow.

Did you dyno test back to back?