GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

jmal2005

Ready to race!
Before I start inundating people here with logs from a first run, I just wanted to ask how long it takes the JB4 to "learn" your car.

I remember personally when I first installed JB4 I threw on map 2 and went for a drive. It felt... underwhelming. Took it to work the next day and on my way back I did a launch and it scared me in the best way possible. So it may take a little daily driving to fully adjust.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Just received and installed my JB4. Wow, what a difference. I thought that it would be more of a small felt power bump and pleasantly surprised at how much it changed. Had a couple questions regarding map choice. First, my car is a stock PP AB and plan on doing no serious mods as it is leased. Second, I run 93 always and have been E30 for the past 5K with no issues. I did not order the BMS cable when I ordered the unit. I take it that is needed to make any changes and Map 1 is default (duh). I would like to know if I should/can run Map 2 without any other changes. I got a CEL on the third WOT adaption run which turned out to be low fueling @ around 5K RPM. Cleared through VCDS and has not come back. It makes sense as it has been hot as balls recently with about a million percent humidity. I think the ECU was trying to fuel dump because of the high IAT and EGTs and simply ran out of fuel or that E30 caused a lean issue. Most times it would pop a CEL off idle and under a 30-40% load, so not worried about the eToH. I would like to run Map 6 after I learn more and have the chance to run some logs. It obviously won't make much sense to do alot when it heatsoaks as soon as I start driving. This drives my Map 2 question, safe to run without anything else? I know it may be blind advice without logging, but just need some direction. Sorry for the newb q's, I have read quite a bit so far and have a steep learning curve. TIA.

Last edited:

rc pete

Passed Driver's Ed
Just received and installed my JB4. Wow, what a difference. I thought that it would be more of a small felt power bump and pleasantly surprised at how much it changed. Had a couple questions regarding map choice. First, my car is a stock PP AB and plan on doing no serious mods as it is leased. Second, I run 93 always and have been E30 for the past 5K with no issues. I did not order the BMS cable when I ordered the unit. I take it that is needed to make any changes and Map 1 is default (duh). I would like to know if I should/can run Map 2 without any other changes. I got a CEL on the third WOT adaption run which turned out to be low fueling @ around 5K RPM. Cleared through VCDS and has not come back. It makes sense as it has been hot as balls recently with about a million percent humidity. I think the ECU was trying to fuel dump because of the high IAT and EGTs and simply ran out of fuel or that E30 caused a lean issue. Most times it would pop a CEL off idle and under a 30-40% load, so not worried about the eToH. I would like to run Map 6 after I learn more and have the chance to run some logs. It obviously won't make much sense to do alot when it heatsoaks as soon as I start driving. This drives my Map 2 question, safe to run without anything else? I know it may be blind advice without logging, but just need some direction. Sorry for the newb q's, I have read quite a bit so far and have a steep learning curve. TIA.

No flash tune? I just ordered my JB4 today with cable. Can't wait.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Car can run map2 stock with E30 all day long. Can run even more boost. This is stock with E30.

http://www.datazap.me/u/diggs24/log-1489092652?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11

Get the cable.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
On a GTI it usually starts around 4800. It is IGN1 (purple). No pulling because I wasn't requesting tons of boost, cool temps, and E30.

Got it. Didn't think it was that high in the rev range before it started since it's F/I. What is the horizontal axis of the graph? Time? Thanks for the insight.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
No flash tune? I just ordered my JB4 today with cable. Can't wait.

Are you asking why I didn't go flash tune route? Work at a large VW/Audi dealer and seen what happens when folks come in with flashed ECUs. The look on the faces of especially the Audi owners when they are told their warranties are cancelled is priceless. I have enough friends with E888 platform that would buy my JB4 when time to turn in the car comes.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Yes, time but I don't know how it is calculated.

Thanks! Once I get to the point of playing with things, I hope to figure that out. Do most folks use DataZap to post logs and where can I find it? Again, sorry for all the newbness.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Get in 3rd gear
turn off traction control
go 30mph
floor it, but if DSG try not to hit kickdown switch
wind out 3rd to 6500rpm and go a bit into 4th if you can. Get all of 3rd at least.
post log

It looks like he is diesel because the boost falls off sharply at ~4000.