GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Delaware DMV Inspection and Tunes

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I know that we are an OBD II plug-in state. I read the website and they basically say that all vehicle sensors must show being in a ready state.

So, are the major tunes (the APRs, GIACs, Unis, etc) readying all the sensors to a passable condition?

I'd also like to expand this question to diesel, as I'd like to eventually do a DPF, EGR, and SCR/AdBlue injection delete with a Malone Stg 2 tune on my other Mk7, the TDI. The Malone rep on TDIClub would not make a clear guarantee that their tune would pass Delaware inspection.

So who has passed inspection tuned? With emissions deletes (cat for gas, dpf and more for diesel)?

Thanks in advance for any info. I don't want to dive in and have to spend a bunch of money twice.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I'm in NH and we are also an OBDII state, I'm running Unitronic Stage 2 and after talking to one of their Unitronic's reps regarding inspections I have to de-tune to at least stage 1.5 or lower in order for the sensors to all show in ready status. From my understanding some companies will offer a non-test pipe file which basically keeps the O2 sensors active which avoids having to de-tune for inspections. I believe APR is one of the companies that offers this solution. In addition on those non-test pipe files you will have to run a spacer to keep from throwing a CEL. As far as how this plays in with diesel I couldn't help you there as I have no experience with the TDI's, but hopefully that gives you a little info.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I know that we are an OBD II plug-in state. I read the website and they basically say that all vehicle sensors must show being in a ready state.

So, are the major tunes (the APRs, GIACs, Unis, etc) readying all the sensors to a passable condition?

I'd also like to expand this question to diesel, as I'd like to eventually do a DPF, EGR, and SCR/AdBlue injection delete with a Malone Stg 2 tune on my other Mk7, the TDI. The Malone rep on TDIClub would not make a clear guarantee that their tune would pass Delaware inspection.

So who has passed inspection tuned? With emissions deletes (cat for gas, dpf and more for diesel)?

Thanks in advance for any info. I don't want to dive in and have to spend a bunch of money twice.

As long as none of the emissions readiness systems have not been turned off you should be fine. The most common one is the rear catalyst readiness check(P0420).

As for removing your DPF, EGR, and SCR/AdBlue injection as long as they don't look for the DPF, and all the systems check ready you will pass just fine.

Basically as long as they don't do a visual inspection all they do is plug in the OBD-II port and all your emissions systems check out as ready to go then you should be golden.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I'm in NH and we are also an OBDII state, I'm running Unitronic Stage 2 and after talking to one of their Unitronic's reps regarding inspections I have to de-tune to at least stage 1.5 or lower in order for the sensors to all show in ready status. From my understanding some companies will offer a non-test pipe file which basically keeps the O2 sensors active which avoids having to de-tune for inspections. I believe APR is one of the companies that offers this solution. In addition on those non-test pipe files you will have to run a spacer to keep from throwing a CEL. As far as how this plays in with diesel I couldn't help you there as I have no experience with the TDI's, but hopefully that gives you a little info.

If there's a sensors-ready file that won't trigger a CEL with the FBO mods, that would be perfect. Luckily my AWE DP wouldn't require a spacer. I'll have to check with vendors (especially Smith VW about APR because they are dealer) about their tunes and sensor ready states.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
As long as none of the emissions readiness systems have not been turned off you should be fine. The most common one is the rear catalyst readiness check(P0420).

As for removing your DPF, EGR, and SCR/AdBlue injection as long as they don't look for the DPF, and all the systems check ready you will pass just fine.

Basically as long as they don't do a visual inspection all they do is plug in the OBD-II port and all your emissions systems check out as ready to go then you should be golden.

That's the million-dollar (well in this case, maybe couple of thousand dollar) question and you didn't really answer it: which tunes put all the sensors in a ready state? If it requires a test file which doesn't cost an arm and a leg to flash for each inspection, fine. If not, then it becomes an expensive headache at best. At worst, if the diesel tune couldn't be made ready with the EPA hardware deleted, you're talking pretty major surgery to have all that crap reinstalled.

r-gazmic

Passed Driver's Ed
That's the million-dollar (well in this case, maybe couple of thousand dollar) question and you didn't really answer it: which tunes put all the sensors in a ready state? If it requires a test file which doesn't cost an arm and a leg to flash for each inspection, fine. If not, then it becomes an expensive headache at best. At worst, if the diesel tune couldn't be made ready with the EPA hardware deleted, you're talking pretty major surgery to have all that crap reinstalled.

I dunno about the MK7 TDIs, but I had a Malone Stg 3 Mk6 TDI, straight pipe from the turbo into the stock muffler. It had one sensor in "Not Ready" and it made several just show as "Not Available". Some inspectors might not know that those sensors should be available so you could potentially get away with that, but if you can't have any "Not Ready" sensors you won't pass. I'd imagine the DPF delete would work the same way for the MK7, plus whatever sensors are in place for the DEF system.

One thing I heard that I wasn't able to verify was that if you leave the system alone after the tune those sensors will show as "Ready". If you ever clear codes or if readiness ever gets reset for any reason (dead battery) they'll go into "Not Ready" and you can't get them back to "Ready" easily. That's just rumor, I wouldn't make any mods based off of that without verifying it first. Tuners are very careful about what they post on a public forum in regards to emissions testing, sometimes you can get more info if you pick up the phone and call them. All they'll post publicly in most cases is "Off-road use only, don't try to pass emissions".

The Torque app on Android can readiness check for you, it's like $5 and bluetooth OBD dongles are cheap too, should be easy to check what the sensors look like. You're right that putting the TDI back to stock is going to be $$$, I was fortunate that passing inspections in VA isn't very difficult.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I dunno about the MK7 TDIs, but I had a Malone Stg 3 Mk6 TDI, straight pipe from the turbo into the stock muffler. It had one sensor in "Not Ready" and it made several just show as "Not Available". Some inspectors might not know that those sensors should be available so you could potentially get away with that, but if you can't have any "Not Ready" sensors you won't pass. I'd imagine the DPF delete would work the same way for the MK7, plus whatever sensors are in place for the DEF system.

One thing I heard that I wasn't able to verify was that if you leave the system alone after the tune those sensors will show as "Ready". If you ever clear codes or if readiness ever gets reset for any reason (dead battery) they'll go into "Not Ready" and you can't get them back to "Ready" easily. That's just rumor, I wouldn't make any mods based off of that without verifying it first. Tuners are very careful about what they post on a public forum in regards to emissions testing, sometimes you can get more info if you pick up the phone and call them. All they'll post publicly in most cases is "Off-road use only, don't try to pass emissions".

The Torque app on Android can readiness check for you, it's like $5 and bluetooth OBD dongles are cheap too, should be easy to check what the sensors look like. You're right that putting the TDI back to stock is going to be $$$, I was fortunate that passing inspections in VA isn't very difficult.

I can tell you this much, because it's fresh on my mind. I made the mistake of going out to my TDI (it has the stupid push-button start) and putting it into accessory mode so I could quickly check a setting on my ScanGauge II. Well, I forgot to hit the push button again to take it out of accessory mode. The ScanGauge stayed on all night and my car was completely dead in the morning. After jumping it and restarting, I hooked up VCDS and ran autoscan. Holy cow were there a ton of DTC's to clear! We're talking anywhere from 2-4 DTCs in like 7 or 8 different modules due to the low voltage. I've disconnected a battery before, which doesn't do any of that, but the complete drain really threw the car for a loop! What was kind of funny is that the fuel mileage calculator seems to be more accurate now, probably due to readaptation.

So, yes, in theory I could see how what you mentioned about reflash and leaving it alone might get you through.

Also, concur on the in-person or phone is best way to get the nitty gritty info comment. Public forums are a record that will last forever and who knows how oppressive the powers-that-be may get in the future.