GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Get '17 R Now or Wait for '18 Mk7.5?

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
So, I've been thinking of getting a GTI and then drove an R and was pretty smitten by it. I'm not 100% there vs. the GTI (SE or Autobahn) but leaning that way. I need something more practical than my 1996 993, what with carting around the kids and their friends or hauling bikes around, or heck driving in heavy rain or the wintertime for that matter (but I digress).

So it seems in the US there are still some 2017 Rs around, so I could theoretically get one now if I can find a blue w/DSG. Or wait a month or two or three or four? and get the facelifted Mk7.5.

As near as I can tell the difference will be a digital dash (meh) and larger media center screen (take it or leave it), as well as a 7-speed DSG (seems nice). Maybe a mild refresh of the front and rear but pretty minimal - nothing functionally superior I don't think - maybe some new LEDs?

So it sort of seems DSG-6 or DSG-7 is the main difference. Unclear when the '18s will hit dealers in the US though.

Any thoughts from the expert crowd here? :)

Thanks!
Jason

PS - Initially thought I'd want the 6MT but after driving the DSG it seems much faster and the shifts are very fast and the car keeps the boost up - the manual felt a little less refined as a result of the boost dropping between gears. Also if I mod the car I hear of some issues with slippage on the stock 6MT clutch.

lcubed

Ready to race!
buy a '17R. the facelift at the front and the new wheels are less than appealing.

(if i could get the 17 wheels and body trim with the minor power bump and larger screen, i'd consider it. actually, if i could get a R wagon, i'd gladly replace my wife's forester)

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I just got a '17 R yesterday as a matter of fact.. tried to get a Blue DSG also but they are impossible to find around here. Personally I prefer the last year of a generation because by then most kinks are ironed out and mods/tweaks are thoroughly researched. I think the mk7 R looks better than the facelift except for maybe the lights, so I will try and get the tails once we figure out how to actually do it correctly in NAR cars.

I haven't done much research on the 7.5 though so I can't speak too much on it. I came from a GTI and it's only been a day and I'm very happy I did it. There are endless debates about the value of the GTI vs R but to me, R holds value, you see a lot less of them compared to GTIs and you get a lot of standard little things that add up IMO: AWD, bigger turbo, stronger internals, dual LEDs, headlight washers, LED turn signals, nav, DCC, DAP, softer leather, 12-way power seat, I prefer blue over red, no ugly coin slots in center console, I'm not drifting so I appreciate electronic e-brake as it cleans up the interior. Also felt-lined & locking glove box (should be standard on all golfs though), bigger center console once you open it.. granted you lose sunroof & spare tire but you can get a spare easily. Also the R's are still produced in Germany. But bang for buck, GTI is where it's at. I've been noticing the prices of GTIs going way down recently since they're selling off for 18s, but then again so are the R's. I used multiple dealers in VA to get pricing down at my dealer and got a pretty good deal. Good luck!

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
buy a '17R. the facelift at the front and the new wheels are less than appealing.

He's the one buying the new car, not you - perhaps he prefers either or both of those changes.

Other observations about price are worth considering though. Discounts are pretty crazy-deep right now. There will almost certainly be a slight increase for '18, and when they first come out, discounts won't be as steep as on late '17's. But how long will that last? Probably not very long, I suspect '18's will also be steeply discounted pretty quickly, if they want to move the metal. And they allows want to move the metal.

The other wild card is warranty. The '18 Atlas is already out with 6 yr / 72k mile b-to-b warranty - will the rest of the line also get the same warranty? Or will only one model have twice the warranty as the rest of the product line? We should know soon, the product guide is due to be released at any moment.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
I'd say wait the 7sp is a big step up. The driving modes are greatly improved in them and I read that the clutches are bigger so will handle more torque in tuning.

Not sure on all the specs you will get in USA but here we get 9in info system, virtual cockpit, elected heated drivers seat, (leather) and few other things so IMO clearly worth the wait.

We just purchased the 2017 S3 sedan which has the 7sp and virtual cockpit and loved them both. Collect car in few weeks.

Lstorm2003

Passed Driver's Ed
I just picked up a '17. The new digital dash looks very flat. Not very 3d looking to my eye. I prefer the '17 dash. Add to that the 17s are going for $4k under msrp and you've got a great deal!

Mak_Attack

Passed Driver's Ed
Just depends I'd bet you could save 5 grand getting a 17. I was able to get a loaded 17 DSG for $37k. Assuming they won't discount 18's for a while. I think the new larger screen and 7 spd are very nice improvements though. Don't particularly care for the digital speedo/teach screen..wasn't impressed with how flat and dimensionless it appears in the audis.

dinh

Passed Driver's Ed
Just depends I'd bet you could save 5 grand getting a 17. I was able to get a loaded 17 DSG for $37k. Assuming they won't discount 18's for a while. I think the new larger screen and 7 spd are very nice improvements though. Don't particularly care for the digital speedo/teach screen..wasn't impressed with how flat and dimensionless it appears in the audis.

Don't they all come loaded now?

king12sky

Ready to race!
Wait for it. It comes with a new DSG & VAG group's virtual cockpit. Can't beat that!

Last edited:

translux

Ready to race!
For me it would depend on how long I had to wait.
If was 30-60 days maybe, any longer and I'd jump in now, life is too short.
I'm also not a fan of the digital dash, I've had this in a couple cars and it just feels out of place. But I'm a lucite and like analog gages. The nav looks cool but maybe a little forced.
The 7-speed DSG is going to be an improvement to and already excellent gearbox. Though I get one with 3 pedals.
"Daddy.
yes son?
What does regret mean?
Well son, a funny thing about regret is, that it is better to regret something you have done. Than to regret something you haven't done.
And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend be sure to tell her... SATAN"

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all the feedback!

I think I'm kind of indifferent to the new fascia vs. old but I do like the Pretoria wheels a lot. And while a bigger nav screen would be nice I am somewhat unsure of the digital dash / virtual cockpit (the flatness thing). Not sure that would be enough to cause me to wait for an '18 and part of of thinks the analog gauges may be better but who knows.

I guess the only nice-to-have for me would be a 7-speed DSG vs 6-speed but again I think those are optimizations on an already great package. And maybe the new headlights & taillights (seems like maybe it is only the taillights that are different)? As for headlights, right now I have ancient halogens in 21-year-old headlight lenses, so headlights at night are like shining a flashlight through a fishbowl - not great. ;-) So even the current '17 with xenons or whatever will be a revelation for me.