GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SD card question

Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I ask a daft question.

I just bought my 3rd GTI. My first two were Mk2 versions back in the 80's (8v then a 16v) but I'm completely impressed by the 2017 Mk 7.

Anyway my question concerns the SD card in my Mk 7. I've read a lot of posts but I'm not sure I 'get it'.

I bought a 64GD SD card and loaded my whole music collection onto it. I use iTunes and the folder structure is Artist/Album/song. In iTunes everyone of the albums has album art. Some of the albums were bought digitally from Amazon or iTunes, some were bought on CD and imported into iTunes and many other were recorded from vinyl using Audacity and converted into an iTunes compatible format. Mostly iTunes found album art for the latter but I also manually added album art myself for some of them.

So now I have all my music on SD card and it all plays great. Some album art doesn't show however. Can anyone help me figure out a way to do this please? I think it's just the ones I recorded from vinyl that isn't showing the art even though it's in iTunes.

Thanks guys.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I ask a daft question.

I just bought my 3rd GTI. My first two were Mk2 versions back in the 80's (8v then a 16v) but I'm completely impressed by the 2017 Mk 7.

Anyway my question concerns the SD card in my Mk 7. I've read a lot of posts but I'm not sure I 'get it'.

I bought a 64GD SD card and loaded my whole music collection onto it. I use iTunes and the folder structure is Artist/Album/song. In iTunes everyone of the albums has album art. Some of the albums were bought digitally from Amazon or iTunes, some were bought on CD and imported into iTunes and many other were recorded from vinyl using Audacity and converted into an iTunes compatible format. Mostly iTunes found album art for the latter but I also manually added album art myself for some of them.

So now I have all my music on SD card and it all plays great. Some album art doesn't show however. Can anyone help me figure out a way to do this please? I think it's just the ones I recorded from vinyl that isn't showing the art even though it's in iTunes.

Thanks guys.

I used WMP and it does the same thing.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Not sure if this will help, but you might need to have the album art embedded in the MP3 files. I'm not familiar with Macs, but for Windows I use a program called "MP3tag". Looks like there's a version for Mac, too. I would just strip the tags from the ones that don't work and start over. Also, there might be a size limit on the album art. I use 500x500 pixel images. Good luck!

nate704

Go Kart Champion
never pay attention to or care for that album art or any graphics on the media/radio section since I use Navigation screen only.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
never pay attention to or care for that album art or any graphics on the media/radio section since I use Navigation screen only.

Well, that's wonderful, congratulations. And completely unhelpful to the OP.

iTunes should be able to fetch all the album art. For anything that it can't find, or if it shows art in iTunes but won't display, try cutting & pasting art of the proper size into iTunes, then re-exporting. I believe the MIB2 size limit is 500x500, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

dosbox

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 UG 2-dr GTI
Not sure if this will help, but you might need to have the album art embedded in the MP3 files. I'm not familiar with Macs, but for Windows I use a program called "MP3tag". Looks like there's a version for Mac, too. I would just strip the tags from the ones that don't work and start over. Also, there might be a size limit on the album art. I use 500x500 pixel images. Good luck!

Yep, I embed art into MP3 and FLAC files and they display fine so long as the images don't exceed 700x700.

Never pay attention to this type of unhelpful post.

Thanks for the replies guys. Very instructive. I took your info and did a bit of research of my own.

I found that most of my older CD's and all my digital music purchases displayed the album art. The ones that didn't were newer CD's (I still buy them because my S2000 only has a CD player and I drive that on Fridays :) and some of the vinyl albums I'd digitally recorded into iTunes.

To get the art to appear in all cases I googled for the album art and copied any less than 400 x 400 into iTunes. Then when I moved it to my SD card and plugged it into the GTI, voila, I had album art :).

It's a pain and a boring process but it's certainly do-able. Every album I did this for worked except one old Steely Dan album where the art only appeared on one song but maybe I did something wrong and I'll just Do it Again (spot the pun? :))

Thanks again

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
iTunes can handle at least 600x600, and a post above says 700x700 is working for him.

See this recent post I made about tuning up album artwork, might be helpful...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46174

Well I wish I'd seen this months ago, I literally have thousands of vinyl albums imported into iTunes. I did find that 600x600 didn't work for me so I went down to 300x300.