GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who is on Bilstein B8s?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Does anyone know if dust covers are included with these dampers? I haven't seen them listed, and I can't imagine using OE dust covers on these beefy dampers.

The stock covers fit. The piston is big but not THAT big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Aha, thanks a bunch Hammersticks. I don't want to deal with separating the old assembly unit apart so i'll need to purchase a set for the front.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I've been on B8 with Neuspeed Sports for a bit over 12k miles now. From my experience they ride great, and also handle very nicely all-around as I'm able to get a bit of ESC intervention in Sport when I want to rotate more than a couple degrees. The overall responsiveness is probably the biggest improvement.

Went with the Neuspeed Sports because the advertised rates of 260/290 are much better IMO than the LOW VWR rates of ~163/~217 (converted from somewhat hard-to-find rates of 28.5N/mm F / 38N/mm R ) Note that that's softer than stock. With a lower drop, while being softer than stock, they're no bueno (IMO again). So eventually you would likely want to upgrade to aftermarket shocks when your stock ones are worn from riding around on or near the bumpstops all the time. That might be part of the VWR spring design "philosophy" though -- using the bumpstops to add to the springrate in it's own regard, called bumpstop-active. Just my hunch.

Speaking of bumpstops, the front Bils have internal bumpstops (being inverted), however on the rears you transfer over the OEM bumpstops. I did not trim mine though but in hindsight I'd probably remove the smallest section.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
So I can't believe I waiting so long! The B8s are a night and day improvement over the factory units. The car moves around much less, bumps are more isolated and the overall feel of the car is more solid.

I went ahead and added 034 hats and new bearings. Whiteline front links and Superpro rear links helped out the bars.

Attachments

• IMG_7890.JPG
    IMG_7890.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 2,092

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
So I can't believe I waiting so long! The B8s are a night and day improvement over the factory units. The car moves around much less, bumps are more isolated and the overall feel of the car is more solid.

I went ahead and added 034 hats and new bearings. Whiteline front links and Superpro rear links helped out the bars.

Awesome! Just out of curiosity, about how long did your ride quality last with VWR's and stock dampers? Ballpark.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Awesome! Just out of curiosity, about how long did your ride quality last with VWR's and stock dampers? Ballpark.

I put my VWRs on with factory shocks at like 1100 miles. It's hard to say because it seems like a slow deterioration. I know my factory shock never felt like these though.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
What would the advantage be of the B8 shocks and say Neuspeed springs over a similarly priced set of Bilstein B14 PSS?

I'm convinced tripleS and Hammersticks could answer your question quite easily. :)

In my opinion, comfort.

I've never had B14's, but I have had B8+Neuspeed Sports as well as HPA SHS coils. There are no published specs for the SHS coils but I can't imagine them being stiffer than the B14's based on everything I've heard, and the SHS coils are noticeably stiffer around town than the B8/Neuspeed combo.

Honestly, I miss the around-town smoothness of the B8/Neuspeed combo. Aside from it being too low for me, I was really happy with that setup. tripleS may be able to shed more light though as he has had the combo way longer than I did, by that's my take.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Update:

Been on the B8/VWR combo for a couple weeks now and have developed a problem I did not notice the first couple days.

I am bottoming out on everything! The car now scrapes on dips in the road I never scraped on before. I bottom on very small road transitions. I even full compress the strut on hard corners now. Potholes or utility covers in the road of any size cause me to bottom out.

The brake duct has been contacting the road so often it has almost wore off. What is very interesting is it is 90% on the drivers side. Maybe its my weight but this never happened prior with the stock struts.

Any ideas? Anyone with this combo experience this?