GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bad turbo? Let's track the issue...

sovietsky191

Passed Driver's Ed
Is the L revision holding up? any reports of blown L turbos? Planning on leasing a 2017 GTI, worried after reading this thread with all the blown turbos. Please let me know!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I might be tuning it with APR. I came from a highly modified 09' gti. I dont think i can resist driving the 17' gti conpletely stock. I'd like to add stage 1 apr tune to it after a few thousand miles.

Bear in mind, this engine comes with 50 more lb ft of torque out of the box than your 09 GTI did. Also, you can get a JB4, which will increase whp by ~45 and wtq by ~55, all while maintaining your warranty.

Regardless, very few turbos are blowing these days. It's mostly a thing of the past. The turbos were popping left and right back in 2014 and early 2015. Not much since.

LachlanGordon

Ready to race!
I might be tuning it with APR. I came from a highly modified 09' gti. I dont think i can resist driving the 17' gti conpletely stock. I'd like to add stage 1 apr tune to it after a few thousand miles.

I'm apr stage 1 and I've had that new turbo on for a long time now, nearly 17,000kms probably. I go really hard on the car (always warming it up though) and I've had no issues, I'm hoping by now they can figure out a turbo revision that works.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
So when a turbo blows and the blades shred...they go....into your cat?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My exhaust turbine broke off and melted the surface of my APR high-flow cat. After replacing the turbo, I just punched out the APR cat and made it cat-less!

Akusho

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been considering getting a JB4, but the whole turbo thing makes me rethink that. Which are the "bad" revisions? Mines Q, so one of the oldest. Should I cool it down a bit and stay stock to be on the safe side? Mine's at 27.5k miles.

wasadealio

Yea I had no allusions of trying to warranty it. People talk about how you can flash back to stock or reset the counter, but I dont believe it. VW knows way more than the tuners do about these ECU's.

Not true. I was APR Stage I when my turbo blew. I flashed it back to stock, took it to the dealer, and got a new turbo installed. All repairs were covered under warranty.