GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Southbend Stage 3 Daily Clutch 1500 mile review (IS38/APR)

JakeFromStateFarm

Ready to race!
I'm not much of a writer so I'll try to keep this short.

Install/break-in/wear:
I had the clutch and a Peloquin LSD installed this past february by a VAG shop I've been going to. I was told to go easy on it for 750 miles (!) and to be extra careful about excessive heating during that time. I never went full throttle during break in, but I did probably 8/10 and never once had the clutch slip. The install apprently was straightforward with no issues to speak of.

Feel:
Initially, the clutch felt outrageous. It was extremely heavy, the friction point started just a hair off the floor, and the engagement was very short. The mechanic said he'd be surprised if I never stalled it lol (I never did). My first few drives were really rough with shifting. Don't plan on driving passengers for a bit. Everything loosened up a lot in the first few hundred miles. Now the feel and engagement is very much like stock. Granted I haven't driven a stock clutch since the install, but it drives how I remember the stock clutch feeling. It is heavier, maybe 30% or so but I only ever notice it when starting from a stop. During normal shifting, the weight increase doesn't register at all. Engagement is a little shorter, but this is definitely no race clutch. Starting from a stop is just a smooth as stock. Overall I'm very happy with the feel.

Noise:
Much quieter than I was expecting. I do almost all my driving with windows down and the radio off so I think I would notice noise more than the average person. During break in, there was about as much noise as I was expecting for a SMF, but it's quieted way down since then. With AC off, the clutch is totally silent during idle nine times out of ten. And I mean totally silent. Once it a while it inexplicably can be heard but it's still pretty quiet. With AC on, it ticks a bit but still not as loud as during break in. Probably not even noticable to someone that doesn't know what a SMF sounds like. Then there's the other mechanical noise. Under load while below 2k rpm, you get some noise and on heavy engine breaking (deccelerating above 4k rpm) you get the same noise. These are probably only audible with windows down and radio off. So overall, yeah there's a bit more mechanical noise but like I said, it's a lot less than I was expecting.

Lightened Flywheel?:
I was really looking forward to the car revving faster because of the lightened flywheel but if it is faster, it's not at all noiceable. What IS noticable though is when you let the clutch out too early or too late. The engine is much happier changing speed to match the transmission. It's less jarring than stock.

Overall I'm really happy with it. No slipping ever, quieter than I was expecting and feels good. I'd be happy to recommend the same one for anyone thinking of going IS38.

CDN_MKV

Wakka Wakka
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
Feel:
Initially, the clutch felt outrageous. It was extremely heavy, the friction point started just a hair off the floor, and the engagement was very short. The mechanic said he'd be surprised if I never stalled it lol (I never did). My first few drives were really rough with shifting. Don't plan on driving passengers for a bit. Everything loosened up a lot in the first few hundred miles. Now the feel and engagement is very much like stock. Granted I haven't driven a stock clutch since the install, but it drives how I remember the stock clutch feeling. It is heavier, maybe 30% or so but I only ever notice it when starting from a stop. During normal shifting, the weight increase doesn't register at all. Engagement is a little shorter, but this is definitely no race clutch. Starting from a stop is just a smooth as stock. Overall I'm very happy with the feel.

I remember a build I did on my MKV a few years back and back then it was a spec stage II+ clutch with a SM flywheel. When I picked it up, I was also surprised at the weight of the clutch and instantly stalled it on my first attempt. My friend that did the install was in the passenger seat laughing knowing full well what would happen. But, when I got used to it, it felt great!

Thanks for the feedback. I hear nothing but good things about these setups.
Enjoy!

JJ

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Is there any chance you could do a video for the noise? I know in general what SMF sounds are like, just curious what they are like on the mk7 specifically before I decide which route I take.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion

JakeFromStateFarm

Ready to race!
Is there any chance you could do a video for the noise? I know in general what SMF sounds are like, just curious what they are like on the mk7 specifically before I decide which route I take.

The second video posted above is exactly what it sounds like on idle with the AC on.

Did you want a video of the noise while moving? I could try to get some of that.

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Oh, it is not bad at all. This is after fresh install too. I drove this car over 100 miles a few weeks ago and it is near silent. The OP is right, real low RPM coming to a stop you get a bit of rattle from the gearbox, but its not bad at all. SMF is not the same as it used to be. My Duramax Diesel dump truck is way worse ;) My DMF TDi makes more noise than this Golf R did. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KoFwqYgF_Y&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hMWy5Qqvig&feature=youtu.be

You should hear our L8000 dump trucks! Ha.

The second video posted above is exactly what it sounds like on idle with the AC on.

Did you want a video of the noise while moving? I could try to get some of that.

Those videos explained it very nicely, I was more worried about at idle (I don't mind the noise, gotta think of the passengers).

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
You should hear our L8000 dump trucks! Ha.

Oh yeah!

Those videos explained it very nicely, I was more worried about at idle (I don't mind the noise, gotta think of the passengers).

If the windows are up, and the stereo on low you don't even hear it, at least I didn't. You can drive around it and just put it into neutral before you get to the RPM point. I am a very alert driver and I notice most little noises, in my ears those little noises are intensified over the quieter engine. :cool:

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Lightened Flywheel?:
I was really looking forward to the car revving faster because of the lightened flywheel but if it is faster, it's not at all noiceable. What IS noticable though is when you let the clutch out too early or too late. The engine is much happier changing speed to match the transmission. It's less jarring than stock.

A lil disappointed hearing this since this is the main reason going single mass flywheel for me. Could it possibly be it didn't rev much at the time because you were still breaking the clutch in?