GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What portion of IS38 to send for balancing?

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Title is self explanatory. I'd like to do a balancing of a new IS38 through G-Pop Shop.

They quote: "We do NOT need your complete turbo for this service. We only need your compressor wheel, compressor nut, turbine shaft, and thrust parts."

Does anyone have a good picture or video of how to break that down and what exactly to send in? Also, what are any delicate bits that need to be watched out for? This is new territory for me.

Dumb it down, because I'm dumb. Thanks!

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I sent the entire thing to them, they disassembled and reassembled. It was like $40 more if I recall correctly. You could always have them paint/coat it if you want to get fancy.

dre1615

Ready to race!
I sent them everything and had the hot side ceramic coated as well. I don't believe they need to take it apart for balancing, only it you want the cold side powdercoated.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Oh, good. I'll send the whole thing then. Thanks.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
And here I am still looking for a good deal on an IS38.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I never realized how heavy and big a turbo is until I got my one. I guess it's worth it to have it checked out before paying to install.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
IS20 was 20 lbs. Any idea for the IS38?

OP, there was a step by step video I watched of someone taking apart their IS38. I'll look for it...

Edit: here is the vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwTfZXGLhAk

Looks like ~19.5 lbs. Just now on my Detecto:

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Yes, there is a God. 47 days and USPS finally figured it out.

Congrats man!! Looking forward to see the installation. Have you decided on a tune yet? Keep us posted!!

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Looks like ~19.5 lbs.

Thanks. Good deal, you won't gain any weight! I'll have to weigh the IS12 that I took out of my Golf. It seemed to weigh about the same as the IS20, but I am not certain. Good luck with the install.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Congrats man!! Looking forward to see the installation. Have you decided on a tune yet? Keep us posted!!

Install is going to be a little while. I bought this thing out of order because of the price I got. Now I have an agonizing wait until I line up funds for clutch and tune. And no, still haven't decided on tune. That's a very tough decision. Cobb, APR, and GIAC are on my short list for various reasons.